Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 MR vs 2022 RWD Model 3 - great progress

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In April of this year I realized the resell value of my 2018 Mid-Range (MR) was through the roof. I ordered a new model 3 RWD while also looked at several other cars that did not match up. I put a deposit on an i4, but the end of the tax credit dulled my interest since it is about $10k more than the Tesla for similar features and it would take approximately forever to arrive.

That's ok, I really love this new Model 3 RWD. I still love the looks, the MSM paint is incredible, and I it still drives fabulous.

The price was great. The new car is only $990 higher in base price. I sold the old car for $44k. I upgraded to a new and improved car for $4490 plus delivery, taxes and fees. I went from 35k to 8 on the odometer and got a brand new warranty. :) Even better, the improvements and upgrades in the new car are incredible.

Some comparisons:

--2018 MR features over 2022 RWD
  • premium audio -- new system still sounds pretty great.
  • homelink -- I do miss that
  • floor mats, frunk mat -- not that expensive.
  • fog lights -- only used them a few times
  • center console storage tray -- really ?
  • one year premium connectivity
  • one year supercharging
  • mobile charger -- ( I did get a new one based on my April 8 OD, but newer orders do not get it. )
  • faster 0-60 time (5.2 < 5.8) I don't notice it.

--2022 RWD features over 2018 MR
  • Basic Autopilot included -- I had to pay $2000 back in 2018. This is a big win.
  • Interior improvements -- console materals and design, door cards, window and lock switches, steel steering wheel rollers
  • Inductive phone charging -- love love love it
  • front side window glazing -- I have read this but have no way to confirm it
  • Power trunk !!!-- that was unexpected.
  • AMD Ryzen Media CPU -- another big win
  • FSD computer + Tesla vision -- is this really better ? idk.
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Matrix lights
  • Heatpump
  • LFP power battery
  • LI-ion 12V battery
  • ? anything else ?

--undecided
  • Easy entry profile settings for steering wheel and seat - I don't see them. This was really nice. ? Am I missing this somewhere ?

-- range
  • 2018 MR: 264. This was achieved by a software update. I think I saw it once.
  • 2022 RWD: 267.

--delivery time
  • 2018 MR: 22 days
  • 2022 RWD: 155 days

--prices
  • 2018 MR : $46000 - $7500 tax credit
  • 2022 RWD : $46990

--purchase
  • final: $46990 (new RWD) + $1500 (wheels) - $44000 (sell 2018 MR) = $4490 + delivery, tax & fees !

Oh, and I had to buy floormats for $120 and new garage remote for $12. That's ok.

1600px-Tesla_Model_3_China_002.jpg

(Source: Jengtingchen, CC BY-SA 4.0 <Creative Commons — Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International — CC BY-SA 4.0>, via Wikimedia Commons)

Last edited by a moderator:
In April of this year I realized the resell value of my 2018 Mid-Range (MR) was through the roof. I ordered a new model 3 RWD while also looked at several other cars that did not match up. I put a deposit on an i4, but the end of the tax credit dulled my interest since it is about $10k more than the Tesla for similar features and it would take approximately forever to arrive.

That's ok, I really love this new Model 3 RWD. I still love the looks, the MSM paint is incredible, and I it still drives fabulous.

The price was great. The new car is only $990 higher in base price. I sold the old car for $44k. I upgraded to a new and improved car for $4490 plus delivery, taxes and fees. I went from 35k to 8 on the odometer and got a brand new warranty. :) Even better, the improvements and upgrades in the new car are incredible.

Some comparisons:

• one year supercharging
  • mobile charger -- ( I did get a new one based on my April 8 OD, but newer orders do not get it. )

• Basic Autopilot included -- I had to pay $2000 back in 2018. This is a big win.
  • Interior improvements -- console materals and design, door cards, window and lock switches, steel steering wheel rollers
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Matrix lights
  • Heatpump
  • LFP power battery
  • LI-ion 12V battery
  • ? anything else ?

--undecided
  • Easy entry profile settings for steering wheel and seat - I don't see them. This was really nice. ? Am I missing this somewhere ?

-- range

--delivery time

--prices

--purchase
  • final: $46990 (new RWD) + $1500 (wheels) - $44000 (sell 2018 MR) = $4490 + delivery, tax & fees !

Oh, and I had to buy floormats for $120 and new garage remote for $12. That's ok.

View attachment 851613
(Source: Jengtingchen, CC BY-SA 4.0 <Creative Commons — Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International — CC BY-SA 4.0>, via Wikimedia Commons)
In Driver Profiles, you can check "Easy Entry" which will create a new 'Easy Entry' profile.

Some comparisons:

• one year supercharging

• Heated steering wheel
  • Matrix lights
  • Heatpump
  • LFP power battery
  • LI-ion 12V battery
  • ? anything else ?

--undecided

-- range

--delivery time

--prices

--purchase

View attachment 851613
Great post. Another difference I saw was LFP batteries: my 2022 model 3 suggest to charge the car at 100% once a week. This was unexpected.

Reactions: 3Volts2aTes
Great post. Another difference I saw was LFP batteries: my 2022 model 3 suggest to charge the car at 100% once a week. This was unexpected.
Yeah it only says that because of the 12V battery issues that was killing the 12V battery in the cars - as far as I understand it, the HV batteries weren't being calibrated correctly out of the factory and have a calibration issue which would cause it to stop charging the 12V and would kill it.

Yeah it only says that because of the 12V battery issues that was killing the 12V battery in the cars - as far as I understand it, the HV batteries weren't being calibrated correctly out of the factory and have a calibration issue which would cause it to stop charging the 12V and would kill it.

Edit. I found this from march 2022, see below. This seems solvable in software, but I don’t see any updates since that time. Anyone else?

Last edited:
Yep. It’s $350 I think. Later maybe. The $12 remote will have to do 😃
Personal opinion, so YMYM...but....spend the money for the homelink now, be done with it before you settle in to the habit with the remote. 1) In a year you won't even remember you spent it, 2) you get to enjoy it over more uses and more time with the vehicle so your 'per use' cost goes down. Very much like tinting windows (if you like them tinted) - go ahead and do it early and enjoy it. If you wait two years you will still sorta want to do it in the back of your mind, but it will be harder and harder to justify spending the money.

It took me several vehicles and the small things like that that I wanted to develop that philosophy, but I have yet to be unhappy that I went ahead and did it.

Reactions: pipestem
Personal opinion, so YMYM...but....spend the money for the homelink now, be done with it before you settle in to the habit with the remote. 1) In a year you won't even remember you spent it, 2) you get to enjoy it over more uses and more time with the vehicle so your 'per use' cost goes down. Very much like tinting windows (if you like them tinted) - go ahead and do it early and enjoy it. If you wait two years you will still sorta want to do it in the back of your mind, but it will be harder and harder to justify spending the money.

It took me several vehicles and the small things like that that I wanted to develop that philosophy, but I have yet to be unhappy that I went ahead and did it.

I think a lot like you do on this kind of stuff. With that being said, I really dislike the "hurt by a thousand cuts" forum of monthly charges, so (for example) I dont mind paying $350 one time for homelink, but I would never pay $10 a month for it, even though it would take 3 years to equal $360 that way.

I also get why some people do not find the cost for homelink one they want to spend. It came with my model 3 in 2018, my wifes 2022 model Y it did not, I had to order it for that car. I ordered it ahead of time though, and had it installed within a few days of bringing that car home. Thats even though I have a separate app on my phone I can open my garage door with.

I knew I wanted parity between both cars with homelink, so went ahead and bought it. I get those who dont want to, though.