Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 MR vs 2022 RWD Model 3 - great progress

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In April of this year I realized the resell value of my 2018 Mid-Range (MR) was through the roof. I ordered a new model 3 RWD while also looked at several other cars that did not match up. I put a deposit on an i4, but the end of the tax credit dulled my interest since it is about $10k more than the Tesla for similar features and it would take approximately forever to arrive.

That's ok, I really love this new Model 3 RWD. I still love the looks, the MSM paint is incredible, and I it still drives fabulous.

The price was great. The new car is only $990 higher in base price. I sold the old car for $44k. I upgraded to a new and improved car for $4490 plus delivery, taxes and fees. I went from 35k to 8 on the odometer and got a brand new warranty. :) Even better, the improvements and upgrades in the new car are incredible.

Some comparisons:

--2018 MR features over 2022 RWD
  • premium audio -- new system still sounds pretty great.
  • homelink -- I do miss that
  • floor mats, frunk mat -- not that expensive.
  • fog lights -- only used them a few times
  • center console storage tray -- really ?
  • one year premium connectivity
  • one year supercharging
  • mobile charger -- ( I did get a new one based on my April 8 OD, but newer orders do not get it. )
  • faster 0-60 time (5.2 < 5.8) I don't notice it.

--2022 RWD features over 2018 MR
  • Basic Autopilot included -- I had to pay $2000 back in 2018. This is a big win.
  • Interior improvements -- console materals and design, door cards, window and lock switches, steel steering wheel rollers
  • Inductive phone charging -- love love love it
  • front side window glazing -- I have read this but have no way to confirm it
  • Power trunk !!!-- that was unexpected.
  • AMD Ryzen Media CPU -- another big win
  • FSD computer + Tesla vision -- is this really better ? idk.
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Matrix lights
  • Heatpump
  • LFP power battery
  • LI-ion 12V battery
  • ? anything else ?

--undecided
  • Easy entry profile settings for steering wheel and seat - I don't see them. This was really nice. ? Am I missing this somewhere ?

-- range
  • 2018 MR: 264. This was achieved by a software update. I think I saw it once.
  • 2022 RWD: 267.

--delivery time
  • 2018 MR: 22 days
  • 2022 RWD: 155 days

--prices
  • 2018 MR : $46000 - $7500 tax credit
  • 2022 RWD : $46990

--purchase
  • final: $46990 (new RWD) + $1500 (wheels) - $44000 (sell 2018 MR) = $4490 + delivery, tax & fees !

Oh, and I had to buy floormats for $120 and new garage remote for $12. That's ok.

1600px-Tesla_Model_3_China_002.jpg

(Source: Jengtingchen, CC BY-SA 4.0 <Creative Commons — Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International — CC BY-SA 4.0>, via Wikimedia Commons)

Last edited by a moderator:
How is the overall fit and finish of the 2022 interior? Yours is quite new so I realize that any rattles, etc., may not surface yet. The interior of my November 2018 Model 3 LR is a symphony orchestra of squeaks, rattles, buzzes. and the like. It's the main reason I would consider not buying a Tesla to replace it, although I can't think of any other EV south of $100k that I'd really care to own.

How is the overall fit and finish of the 2022 interior? Yours is quite new so I realize that any rattles, etc., may not surface yet. The interior of my November 2018 Model 3 LR is a symphony orchestra of squeaks, rattles, buzzes. and the like. It's the main reason I would consider not buying a Tesla to replace it, although I can't think of any other EV south of $100k that I'd really care to own.
You sound just like me. My 2018 was not really a symphony more like a quartet and mostly on non smooth roads. I think a lot of it comes from the back parcel shelf. The new interior materials are definitely a cut above. The doors sound better and it is overall quieter. A little wind noise at speed from the top of the side window. The car feels tight. 4 years from now idk. It’s a very worthwhile upgrade, I’m in love agsin.

OP, overall do you think that the price increases over the years, are worth it?.... double glass panel (driver and passenger), heat pump...etc..etc from 2018 to the latest model 2022.
Price has been up and down and up. The current base price is only $990 more than 4 years sgo; so that is totally worth it. however the $7500 tax credit is gone. The comparable competition uniformly costs more. A lot of common cars like accords can cost more when fully loaded which seems crazy to me. Good luck even finding a base EV6 without huge markup if you want something cheaper. So all things considered I’d say yes.

Reactions: kaimanson
Simple to check:
- double glazing - open driver's doors and rear doors. Check the top edge of the window on both. Here's the difference (drove sone loaners which were 2019 buid before glazing, difference is huge)
- difference with 2018 is: your new car has usb hub but it has no data connection, so you cannot plug something like usb game controller. Also you have way less games in your car vs 2018 :)

Reactions: pipestem
- difference with 2018 is: your new car has usb hub but it has no data connection, so you cannot plug something like usb game controller. Also you have way less games in your car vs 2018 :)
Interesting. I wonder if it is simply decontenting, or a push to use/expectation of using wireless controllers, especially if the Steam integration takes off.

So - any reference to a list of the differences in the games between 2022 and 2018? (Not that I even know what all is there, but now I am curious!)

Interesting catch on the games.

Too late for me to test but honestly on the old car I only tried a game once just to see it work. I think it was baja racer [?] and I sucked at it..

I did try out the video streaming on the new car with youtube and tik tok and its about a billion times better than in the old one. Totally fast and seamless. This was on my home wifi, but not very close to the router. No idea when I might try that again. :)

Reactions: 3Volts2aTes
The piano black center console cladding is gone. USB C outlets for mobile charging. USB drive included in glovebox for video storage. Chrome delete is standard.
Thanks. I included piano black in the area of upgraded interior materials, but that was a very happy change worth noting. USB-C is great. I don't know how much current it provides. Chrome delete looks great with MSM.

I cannot edit the original post, so I am updating the comparison here ...

• one year supercharging
  • mobile charger -- ( I did get a new one based on my April 8 OD, but newer orders do not get it. )
  • more video games and use of USB custom game controllers

• Basic Autopilot included -- I had to pay $2000 back in 2018. This is a big win.
  • Interior: better console materals and design, window and lock switches, steel steering wheel rollers
  • Interior: wrap around dash into door cards with better materials
  • Interior: no more piano black !!!
  • Exterior: chrome delete -- looks great with MSM
  • 128 GB stick for sentry and dashcam storage (found in the glovebox)
  • USB-C outlets
  • front side window glazing -- confirmed!
  • FSD computer + Tesla vision -- is this really better ? Idk, but it is Tesla's future!
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Matrix lights
  • Heatpump
  • LFP power battery
  • LI-ion 12V battery
  • Lightshow !
  • ? anything else ?

We will add this to your list. They changed attachments for front and mid aero shields, which when driving through water could end up with the rear bumper coming off effective May 21, 2019. Probably a rarity, but since we have a firm date, good to know. According to this article:

"Model 3 vehicles built up to May 2019 have a flaw that causes the rear bumper to fall off when the vehicle is driven through puddles of water.

'In rare instances, certain components on Model 3 vehicles built at the Fremont Factory before May 21, 2019, might be damaged when driving through standing water on a road or highway with poor drainage or pooling water," the note says. "In these rare instances, the rear fascia might detach from the vehicle.' "

This is the article: Tesla has confirmed that water can cause Model 3 bumpers to fall off

And...I am attaching the service bulletin related.

Attachments

• SB-19-12-001.pdf
    441.6 KB · Views: 70

• one year supercharging

• Interior: better console materals and design, window and lock switches, steel steering wheel rollers
  • USB-C outlets
  • FSD computer + Tesla vision -- is this really better ? Idk, but it is Tesla's future!
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Matrix lights
  • Heatpump
  • LFP power battery
  • LI-ion 12V battery
  • Lightshow !
  • ? anything else ?
They made rear heated seats standard on all trims after November 2021.
They also added heated wiper park for the 2022 trims.

They made rear heated seats standard on all trims after November 2021.
They also added heated wiper park for the 2022 trims.
The MR always had the heated rear seats. It was a unicorn with ‘full premium’ interior, fwiw. They discontinued it once the SR+ ramped up volume in early 2019.

Heated wiper park I did not know about. Thanks !!

I have not been on the highway much but am hopeful.

Also fyi I received the mobile charger 3 days after car delivery.

We will add this to your list. They changed attachments for front and mid aero shields, which when driving through water could end up with the rear bumper coming off effective May 21, 2019. Probably a rarity, but since we have a firm date, good to know. According to this article:

"Model 3 vehicles built up to May 2019 have a flaw that causes the rear bumper to fall off when the vehicle is driven through puddles of water.

'In rare instances, certain components on Model 3 vehicles built at the Fremont Factory before May 21, 2019, might be damaged when driving through standing water on a road or highway with poor drainage or pooling water," the note says. "In these rare instances, the rear fascia might detach from the vehicle.' "

This is the article: Tesla has confirmed that water can cause Model 3 bumpers to fall off

And...I am attaching the service bulletin related.

I can confidently say our butts never fell off.

Another update

• one year supercharging

• USB-C outlets
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Heated wiper park so they wont freeze in place
  • Matrix lights
  • Heatpump
  • LFP power battery
  • LI-ion 12V battery
  • Lightshow !
  • ? anything else ?
-- Miscellaneus
? anything else ?