Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 MS motors freeze after parking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2018 MS feels like the tires are stuck to the garage floor after parking for a few hours. I have to push the accelerator much more than normal to back out of my parking space, but once it moves a few feet all returns to normal. Happens no matter where I park it for a few hours. Any thoughts??

My 2018 MS feels like the tires are stuck to the garage floor after parking for a few hours. I have to push the accelerator much more than normal to back out of my parking space, but once it moves a few feet all returns to normal. Happens no matter where I park it for a few hours. Any thoughts??

Do you hear a big thunk when it eventually releases? If so, it sounds like my Model S, if it is parked for awhile after rain. The discs rust and stick to the calipers. But only after rain or damp weather. Other cars do it, too, not unique to Tesla.
But if it happens every time you park, regardless of weather conditions, i think something else is afoot.

Reactions: mspohr
Yup, it happens to my Miata which is currently parked outside. The rotors/pads make a loud bang when initially moving from a standstill if the car has been sitting for a while. My truck will also do this as well, but only if I set the parking brake.

I had the same thing on the left front brakes on My S. Annual brake cleaning helps, but I also now do a light touch of the brakes before going into the garage after it’s been raining. I also go backward and forward with brakes applied for a further wipe. I end by checking the rotors for water and wipe or spray compressed air to remove moisture as needed. Never had the issue since.

• Helpful
Reactions: Art VandeIay
I had the same thing on the left front brakes on My S. Annual brake cleaning helps, but I also now do a light touch of the brakes before going into the garage after it’s been raining. I also go backward and forward with brakes applied for a further wipe. I end by checking the rotors for water and wipe or spray compressed air to remove moisture as needed. Never had the issue since.
That sounds like a lot of work.

Reactions: smalltownguy

Great Tip! Squeaky Brakes easily fixed!!!

Reactions: BrokerDon
This is not a "Tesla thing". Same problem with most cars we've had if they're driven in rain / snow then parked. Metallic / semi-metallic disc brake pads will "bond" (a.k.a. oxidize) to the metal brake rotors... and take more throttle to break them loose. Worse was my Corvette Z06 which had HUGE brakes... and was a manual transmission so getting them "unstuck" was trickier.

Reactions: David29
I used to wash my car and then pull it right into my garage to finish the interior cleaning process after drying it. This was my most common occurrence were it would be locked as I put it in reverse. Now I Set Regenerative braking to low And drive it around the block while I Accelerate and l brake aggressively. That resolves the issue for me

• Love

Two quotes from the Model S owner's manual:

After cleaning the vehicle, dry the brakes by
going on a short drive and applying the
brakes multiple times.

And this one, which surprises me because I only recently discovered it (in the November 2019 manual):

Model S is equipped with brake disc wiping, which automatically assists in maintaining
brake responsiveness in cold and wet weather conditions. When such conditions are
detected, brake disc wiping repeatedly applies an imperceptible amount of brake force to
clear away water on the brake disc surface. This ensures your brakes are responsive even
during poor weather conditions.

I do not think this feature was in Model S when my car was made (2015) because it is not mentioned in an earlier version of Owner's manual I have from early on in my ownership. Could it have been added by a software update? or does it require physical changes to the brakes? If it needs a different physical brake assembly, then only cars newer than mine would have it. Good feature, either way.

Last edited:
  • Love
Same here. Brakes stick to rotors after washing or raining and vehicle sits.

I have a further story though where one of my little parking brake pads pulled clear and clean off due to them sticking the day after hand washing her and I found it in my driveway a couple of days later and this was over a year ago.

I have not addressed it as of yet and it seems to park and hold fine regardless

Although the fact that the other side is holding OK I would get that missing pad replaced. Without the outer side pad this parking brake will put extra stress to the single side and it will eventually reach to caliper bracket and then the disc will have scratches on it. Pads are way cheaper than discs and pads together.