Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 MS Purchase – debacle!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long story and curious to hear some thoughts….

I have been trying to decide between a used or new BLACK model S since January. Months of research and price watching had me test driving at my local Tesla store with a local OA (Adrian De La Cerda | Owner Advisor - 811 S San Fernando Blvd, Burbank, CA 91502 - m. (559) 940-8343 | [email protected]) as well as finding a great OA online based in Fremont. At the end of the quarter / March, my local rep Adrian sent me an incredible deal ($73K) on a 2018 midnight sliver MS 100D that had some minor damage repaired. I passed because of the color (not black) and price (slightly out of my price range). I kinda kick myself now due to how good the deal was.

This lead me to finding Jim (Jim Mattos | Ownership Loyalty Advisor | North America Sales - 901 Page Ave, Fremont CA 94538 - W. (510) 602-3256 | [email protected]) on Facebook who offered to help me with my search. Jim had access to Tesla’s national database and after a few calls to research pricing he found a great inventory deal that I decided to purchase. It wasn’t perfect, multi-pattern seats and located on the east coast but the price was better than anything else I had found. On April 16th,I purchased a 2018 Black MS 75D for $66K (see the attached deal).

On April 18th, Jim called me with two pieces of bad news. First, he would be no longer be my primary OA. He was told my purchase needed to be handled by my local Burbank OA, Adrian. SECOND, my car was damaged while being transported to LA (rear trunk / hatch). I waited for a call from Adrian to discuss next steps. NOT PLEASED on all levels.

A few days later Adrian calls with no new news; just the same details. I expressed my concerns about not wanting a NEW car that had to be repaired before I actually took delivery. Can the trunk be replaced instead of receiving bodywork and paint? Multiple emails later, I hear the damage is a scratch and dent that will take 1 or 2 months to repair. This seemed too long and I didn’t want a repair, I wanted a replacement part! On the 25thI received pictures of the damage and confirmation that the body part would not be replaced, but repaired and painted, and it would STILL take 1 to 2 months.

At this point, Adrian has told me there is NOTHING he can do. The price adjustment on my car exceeds anything else in that range and as far as the repair timeline, it’s a separate department he has no control over. I ask him to consider something else to offset the damage; supercharger miles, some better rims (these were given away for referrals anyway), offer to pay for the transportation since that caused the damage in the first place, oh and PLEASE accelerate the repair… NOPE NOTHING that can be done according to Adrian and his manager.

It sucks, I still want an extraordinary Tesla vehicle so I just have to accept this terrible service & management. So disappointed that my first experience purchasing a Tesla has been turned into this *sugar* show.

image007.jpg

Attachments

• MicrosoftTeams-image (15).jpg
    MicrosoftTeams-image (15).jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 164
  • MicrosoftTeams-image (18).jpg
    MicrosoftTeams-image (18).jpg
    490.8 KB · Views: 170
  • MicrosoftTeams-image (16).jpg
    MicrosoftTeams-image (16).jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 161
  • MicrosoftTeams-image (17).jpg
    MicrosoftTeams-image (17).jpg
    546.3 KB · Views: 162
Long story and curious to hear some thoughts….

I have been trying to decide between a used or new BLACK model S since January. Months of research and price watching had me test driving at my local Tesla store with a local OA (Adrian De La Cerda | Owner Advisor - 811 S San Fernando Blvd, Burbank, CA 91502 - m. (559) 940-8343 | [email protected]) as well as finding a great OA online based in Fremont. At the end of the quarter / March, my local rep Adrian sent me an incredible deal ($73K) on a 2018 midnight sliver MS 100D that had some minor damage repaired. I passed because of the color (not black) and price (slightly out of my price range). I kinda kick myself now due to how good the deal was.

This lead me to finding Jim (Jim Mattos | Ownership Loyalty Advisor | North America Sales - 901 Page Ave, Fremont CA 94538 - W. (510) 602-3256 | [email protected]) on Facebook who offered to help me with my search. Jim had access to Tesla’s national database and after a few calls to research pricing he found a great inventory deal that I decided to purchase. It wasn’t perfect, multi-pattern seats and located on the east coast but the price was better than anything else I had found. On April 16th,I purchased a 2018 Black MS 75D for $66K (see the attached deal).

On April 18th, Jim called me with two pieces of bad news. First, he would be no longer be my primary OA. He was told my purchase needed to be handled by my local Burbank OA, Adrian. SECOND, my car was damaged while being transported to LA (rear trunk / hatch). I waited for a call from Adrian to discuss next steps. NOT PLEASED on all levels.

A few days later Adrian calls with no new news; just the same details. I expressed my concerns about not wanting a NEW car that had to be repaired before I actually took delivery. Can the trunk be replaced instead of receiving bodywork and paint? Multiple emails later, I hear the damage is a scratch and dent that will take 1 or 2 months to repair. This seemed too long and I didn’t want a repair, I wanted a replacement part! On the 25thI received pictures of the damage and confirmation that the body part would not be replaced, but repaired and painted, and it would STILL take 1 to 2 months.

At this point, Adrian has told me there is NOTHING he can do. The price adjustment on my car exceeds anything else in that range and as far as the repair timeline, it’s a separate department he has no control over. I ask him to consider something else to offset the damage; supercharger miles, some better rims (these were given away for referrals anyway), offer to pay for the transportation since that caused the damage in the first place, oh and PLEASE accelerate the repair… NOPE NOTHING that can be done according to Adrian and his manager.

It sucks, I still want an extraordinary Tesla vehicle so I just have to accept this terrible service & management. So disappointed that my first experience purchasing a Tesla has been turned into this *sugar* show.

View attachment 401437

Make enough noise on the forums and they will listen...apparently, Tesla owners are not the only ones skimming through threads :)

Reactions: Spano1
I would say just cancel the order. The S has constantly reducing interior options available, they even took away carbon fiber trim from the Performance models. It leads me to believe the interior refresh will be soon and with that happening they'll probably clear out the remaining inventory cars at the end of Q2 for good discounts, just like they did with Q1.

I checked in with Adrian on Friday the 4th. I was hoping the force was strong... NOPE, per Adrian the body shop was still waiting on approval to do the repair (internal invoice). Ridiculous, how can 10 business days pass with nothing being done to fix their own error??

I asked Adrian to cancel the order that day and this was his response.

"I'm sorry to hear you are canceling. I'll be canceling the order you will be receiving the $2,500 in 6-10 business days back on the card you used to place the order with."

Yes, I asked but I guess I secretly hoped for an attempt to make it right. At this point I have accepted the outcome and will be looking at other options. Hopefully this was meant to be an will result in something better.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
I checked in with Adrian on Friday the 4th. I was hoping the force was strong... NOPE, per Adrian the body shop was still waiting on approval to do the repair (internal invoice). Ridiculous, how can 10 business days pass with nothing being done to fix their own error??

I asked Adrian to cancel the order that day and this was his response.

"I'm sorry to hear you are canceling. I'll be canceling the order you will be receiving the $2,500 in 6-10 business days back on the card you used to place the order with."

Yes, I asked but I guess I secretly hoped for an attempt to make it right. At this point I have accepted the outcome and will be looking at other options. Hopefully this was meant to be an will result in something better.

Don't expect much from Tesla advisors. Overworked, underpaid, almost no incentive for them if you buy it or not.

Reactions: GreenT
If this is true, that would explain why my 'advisor' was literally trying to talk me out of buying the Tesla.

https://jalopnik.com/why-teslas-sales-staff-say-theyre-behind-shortchanged-i-1826206999

I tried buying a brand new S 3 times in the last 6 months. Every single time, I was so disappointed with how Tesla doesn't care if you buy or not (to the point that no advisors reach out to me with details on some questions I had after they promise they would and get my contact info and everything) that I just decided not to buy it and will stick to my 2015.

I cancelled my order and no one seemed to care. I cancelled because of poor communication from DS. See my post in this forum cancelled order. When I sent a ranting email about poor communication and I was cancelling my order I received notice that day that the order was cancelled and the deposit would be refunded. It was not until 10 days later that someone called to see what went wrong with the communication. Nobody ever attempted to make it right and try to get me to purchase the car. They actually sold it to someone else during that ten day lapse. I was shocked at how I don't care everyone seems to be and care less how the customer feels. Until the call ten days later the attitude was we are doing you a favor selling you your second Tesla in 2 1/2 years

• Love
Reactions: neroden and darxsys
I cancelled my order and no one seemed to care. I cancelled because of poor communication from DS. See my post in this forum cancelled order. When I sent a ranting email about poor communication and I was cancelling my order I received notice that day that the order was cancelled and the deposit would be refunded. It was not until 10 days later that someone called to see what went wrong with the communication. Nobody ever attempted to make it right and try to get me to purchase the car. They actually sold it to someone else during that ten day lapse. I was shocked at how I don't care everyone seems to be and care less how the customer feels. Until the call ten days later the attitude was we are doing you a favor selling you your second Tesla in 2 1/2 years

What you need to do in that situation is go online and order it again and ask for a different advisor, maybe from a different store

Reactions: Spano1
I received my $2500 deposit back about 5 days ago. No call, nothing... I am now almost done with a Tesla lease assumption. 2016 MS (build date 11/16) that has 11 months left. Figured it would be worth holding a beat for the interior / exterior refresh.

I’ll post about this process (not bad so far) once it’s complete!