Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Multi Coat Red Model 3 - what is it worth?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have Model 3 with about 6 k miles, typical first run options of long range battery, premium package. We had the chip guard (3m stuff) applied to the hood, front bumper, mirrors, couple other spots.

With the 'flood gates' open, we configured our second M3 w/awd and performance. Now the thought is that we won't have 2 3's but instead an S so of course the non-performance car will be for sale.

This is your chance to pipe up with what you think the above car should listed :) vs having me make a guess too early and get uh hum... corrected...

The other car will be here, says Tesla, between August and October so the current one isn't for sale yet. I expect that even if we have it through to October, it won't have 10k miles even fwiw.

The new car was not ordered with 20" rims, the thinking is maybe we swap the aero rims onto the current car that has 19" sport upgraded rims. An equal thought is to powder coat the aero rims to a color we prefer and put performance tires on the 18" rims - to be seen..

Have fun, chime in with your hopefully-considered-pricing thoughts, be nice :)

I'm not surprised that a brand new car takes a deprecation hit, as was mentioned it's not unique to Tesla

We have no regrets, having had this car 6 mos and a couple of road trips, we have/had no hesitation on ordering the performance version. More of what we already really like is how we see it, and so when the time comes we'll hopefully find a good home for a fair price on the current car.

How does the Fed Tax credit work? Do you take it or is it available to the new owner since has not been a year? (not sure how this works) Thank you. Where is car located BTW?

We are south of San Fransisco - that's a good question on the tax credit, but I think the rule is that since we registered the car we are the only ones to claim the credit. If anyone knows different, happy to be educated.

They take the tax credit bringing the cost of the car down to 41.5k

How would they do that? We've already registered it in this state and unless we are educated differently we'll still file for it..

Some googling says:

The federal electric car tax credit is only available in the year that you put the car in service, and you can’t carry the credit from year-to-year.

When you file your annual tax returns, you’ll need to fill out an IRS Form 8936 and include it with your return. Unfortunately, if you buy your car in January, you’ll have to wait until the following year’s returns before you can enjoy your credit.

Also : https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8936.pdf

Remove any tax incentives/rebates from the MSRP, and then maybe around $1/mile?

Or just list it as high as you want, and let yourself be corrected...

Supply and demand...list it on sites like onlyusedtesla and in this TMC For Sale forum. It might sell fast if you price it right. People need to see that it is a fair deal.

Fast Sale = Less Money at this point likely.

Recommend MSRP (sticker) - $7500 - $1/mi + cost of hood wrap as a fair selling price for both you and the buyer.

If VRoom or CarMax can offer more than the above recommendation then take their money now. The EV market is going to change drastically in the next six months to a year.