Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Multi Coat Red Model 3 - what is it worth?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Supply and demand...list it on sites like onlyusedtesla and in this TMC For Sale forum. It might sell fast if you price it right. People need to see that it is a fair deal.

Fast Sale = Less Money at this point likely.

Recommend MSRP (sticker) - $7500 - $1/mi + cost of hood wrap as a fair selling price for both you and the buyer.

If VRoom or CarMax can offer more than the above recommendation then take their money now. The EV market is going to change drastically in the next six months to a year.

I’ve never understood the expectation of subtracting a tax credit (which may or may not have been utilized). Using this same logic, would you expect an owner - who paid say, $25,000 for a vehicle from a family member or friend - to sell for what they paid? That’s absolutely unrealistic and silly to expect.

Simply put, vehicles should be listed for an average around the market value of similarly equipped cars. Find the average, and add/subtract based on options, condition, and mileage. What the owner originally paid is none of anyone’s business.

Julie, based on my research (and without AP & self-driving hardware), I’d estimate your 3 at around $48,000 in the current market. This wouldn’t apply to the time you decide to sell it, so it would make sense to price it around the time you’re ready.

Reactions: Scouth and Olds442
what do you see flooding the market? more used model 3's?

Not only are there more LR RWD Model 3s on the market used as people upgrade to the AWD and Performance models, there are more BEVs hitting the market in 2019 that give people real options other than the Model 3.

As to the tax credit...perceived value sells a car faster than logical price calculations at this point in the Model 3’s lifecycle. If a person wanted to sell it fast for asking price it would be wise to appeal to the “waiting for the $35k short range battery” crowd.

The wait is too short now for a new one and color options, white seats, and AWD will give serious competition to the used early models, especially if the price is within a $100 per month on payments.

The right person will see the value. A lot of people who bought the early Model 3 love their car and will drive it long enough to extract the “new car” value. A new car is upside down for at least the first two years when it comes to resale value. The Model 3 glam hour is over, so expect it to be the same or worse as the market is flooded with black cars with <10K miles.

Reactions: Olds442
Julie, based on my research (and without AP & self-driving hardware), I’d estimate your 3 at around $48,000 in the current market. This wouldn’t apply to the time you decide to sell it, so it would make sense to price it around the time you’re ready.

That's pretty close to what Vroom said. Interesting, at least based on what our accountant said, we can take the Fed credit even though we would have had the car less than 1 year (I have no idea where the 1 year thing came to my mind, there's no doc that says it..)

Also I can't transfer the credit in anyway either, pretty much what I thought.

I may be crazy but I'm hoping that the car we ordered is 'generic' enough to show up at the earlier end of the estimate. Since it's not the only car in the household, I have some leeway on when the current one can be sold...

Thanks for the feedback!

Reactions: Olds442