Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 MX 75D vs 2020 Long Range Raven

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lynnpt2001

Cookie Monster MX & M3
Sep 9, 2015
Greencastle PA
We spent quite a bit of time today test driving a Long Range Raven and a Performance MX. We have a 2018MX 75D with 44K miles on it so far so we have a decent amount of experience with it. Wanted to share some feedback from myself, and my wife who drives our X most of the time.

1. The Raven has what seems to be better suspension when traveling on side streets with lots of bumps, cracks, etc. It soaks them up with less noise and intrusion versus the 18. However on the interstate most of which was newly paved, we both noticed that you can feel most of the imperfections in the surface much more on the Raven. Some may call this feedback, it makes the body "tremor" while driving. Placed a half full small water bottle on the dash, and yes the water was vibrating quite a bit. Not as smooth as the 18 on the highway. It is possible something was up with tires or something else but this was a brand new car.

2. Motor whine, the Raven has significantly more motor whine or gear whine, not sure exactly where it was coming from, but driving a steady speed with little forward force on the power train caused noticeable whining, actually almost annoying.

3. Another thing we both noticed the front seating was different, I could not get the seat to be a high as our car, I felt lower almost car like compared to what I am used to. Not sure what was different but it was there.

These were the 3 notable differences that we encountered, I was excited before getting there with some high hopes of placing an order today for the Raven, but it left us both disappointed so we are keeping the 18 for a while and will see what happens in the future.

One other note, I would have to test with a sound meter but we both believe the 18 MX was quieter overall compared to the Raven, and we purposely drove on the same route with both cars and paid very close attention hoping the 2020 would be enough to squeeze the trigger, sadly it just wasn't there.

I know in the past it help us when other people share their observations and opinions, just wanted to share our drive today.

In case you didn't notice, the adaptive suspension, if left in "Auto", will switch to "Comfort" at lower speeds and "Sport" at higher speeds. You can manually override this by manually selecting either a comfortable/smooth ride or a firm/sporty ride full time.

Raven's produce a single pitch whine/tone at cruising speed that comes and goes with power applied to the motor, it's a function of the Model 3 motor in the front. I don't notice it much anymore ...

What tires? I’m on 19” winter 20” summer, no way I’d run 22”
What tire pressures?

What dampening Mode was the suspension in? I run on comfort.

What height?

Sounds like a tire problem to me. My Raven is smooth and quiet. And I guess I’m to deaf for any whine to bother me.

I’ll try the water test.

In case you didn't notice, the adaptive suspension, if left in "Auto", will switch to "Comfort" at lower speeds and "Sport" at higher speeds. You can manually override this by manually selecting either a comfortable/smooth ride or a firm/sporty ride full time.

Raven's produce a single pitch whine/tone at cruising speed that comes and goes with power applied to the motor, it's a function of the Model 3 motor in the front. I don't notice it much anymore ...

Auto does not do comfort at slow speeds. I thought it did something like that but comfort is more comfortable at all speeds. My driveway at work is loaded with repairs and potholes that I go 15mph tops and I used it to test each mode and comfort was clearly absorbing the most.

What tires? I’m on 19” winter 20” summer, no way I’d run 22”
What tire pressures?

What dampening Mode was the suspension in? I run on comfort.

What height?

Sounds like a tire problem to me. My Raven is smooth and quiet. And I guess I’m to deaf for any whine to bother me.

I’ll try the water test.

Tires were 20 inch Contisilents, pressure was 47 and 48 no more or no less on any of them. We played with the suspension settings and comfort setting did seem to be better than auto but the water bottle showed what we noticed.

I am in no way saying the Raven suspension isn't better and we did notice an improvement over bumpy streets, but the whine and the highway vibration was a deal breaker, more so with the wife.

The lower seating position was something I could get use to just not sure why it changed, I noticed it in both X's we were in today.

Maybe our X is like an old pair of shoes, it just has that comfort feel...

Auto does not do comfort at slow speeds. I thought it did something like that but comfort is more comfortable at all speeds. My driveway at work is loaded with repairs and potholes that I go 15mph tops and I used it to test each mode and comfort was clearly absorbing the most.

Thanks for stating it more accurately ... I have the same experiece with the recent addition of "Auto" ...

how's the range on your 75D after 44K miles? my '18 MX 75D with 25K mi range has gone to the crapper, i think it's these updates that keep coming in. 90% charge is <200mi with real world range around 130mi.

the increased range is what's most appealing about the newer cars to me anyway.

Reactions: Ryshaw
how's the range on your 75D after 44K miles? my '18 MX 75D with 25K mi range has gone to the crapper, i think it's these updates that keep coming in. 90% charge is <200mi with real world range around 130mi.

the increased range is what's most appealing about the newer cars to me anyway.

Agreed, we were looking at that range addition as well. Right now charging to 90 percent typically shows 200 miles on the meter. Fully charged yields about 224 -225. 12 - 13 miles down from new. Based on some other posts I've seen that's about what i anticipated.

My 2018 75D has 20k miles and was charged to 100% last night for a trip today. It is sitting at 224 rated miles.

I also have the 2018 X75 with 44k miles in it. Capacity loss is around 3%, but the range is almost exactly as new as some updates have improved the efficiency somewhat and I have better tires than the originals.

Raven is not enough of a reason to upgrade, but my car is 3 years old this time next year and probably the plaid X is out by then. Maybe that will solve the only gripe I have about the car: DC charging speed at high SOC and the fact that the charging gets slower over time.