Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 MX Software Issues or New Norm?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my very first EV car 2 weeks ago, a 2018 MX. Since then, I've had a few quirky software issues and I'd like to know if these are worth taking into the SC or if this is my new norm.

1) When pulling out of a parking garage, suddenly I could barely turn the steering wheel and this message appeared on the dash: Car needs service - steering assist unavailable. I pulled over, turned the car off for a few minutes, turned it back on and power steering was fine again. I called the SC and told them of the issue as I was concerned since we had planned a 3 hr road trip up north the next day. SC never called me back.

2) My navigation has problems re-adjusting itself. Often, letters will be turned sideways.

3) When trying to access the owner's manual, the touchscreen would turn off (including climate control and music).

4) And just today, the touchscreen didn't turn on at all. I was still able to drive and take my daughter to school, thank goodness, but no touchscreen, no music, no climate control, and no turn blinkers. To fix this, I rebooted the screen by pressing both scrolls on the steering wheel.

So, is this normal? I grew up in the age of computers and electronics so I fully understand that sometimes, you just have to restart computers/phones and voila everything is fine again. But, is this to be expected for the life of my new Tesla? Or does the car need to be serviced?

I've only had this car 2 weeks and I have yet to develop much trust in it yet because of these (and others I'm forgetting) issues.

Thanks in advance.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
1) sounds like a SC issue if it were to recur. Haven't personally experienced that myself.
2) Happened to me once, I think after a software upgrade. Have not seen it since.
3) Not encountered this, sorry
4) happened after the first software upgrade, not since then.

FWIW, I have rebooted once or twice, typically after an upgrade, I have seen on here that some people always do a reboot after an upgrade.

I have had my MX now for 4 months, not 2 weeks, so I would say your experience should not be the norm. I would bring it in if it were to continue at the current rate.

Reactions: GOPJEW
I got my 2017 MX in late September (I believe it came off the line in late August).

1) I experienced this multiple times, but that was in or before December 2017. Got this from service:
Upon further investigation, determined with Engineering that a fault occurs
during the time accessory rail is flickering on and off. This issue is under investigation and
will be addressed in a future firmware update​
I don't know if it should be fixed yet or not, but based on another thread I have been involved in where another owner experiences an issue with the self presenting door opening as he walks away being told that it should be fixed by a firmware update in June, it wouldn't surprise me if this hasn't been fixed yet, either.

2) If you set it to rotate your direction instead of rotating the map, the letters will presumably always be correct. You switch between these two modes by touching the compass on the map screen.

3) I have not encountered this, either, but can confirm that when the center screen turns off, the climate and media do as well. My center screen often turns off when I close the door. Service hasn't been helpful with it even though it doesn't occur in loaners. I was told it wouldn't happen if I disabled power saving mode, though (it didn't occur in loaners with power saving mode enabled).

4) I haven't experienced this, either, but I saw some sort of thread somewhere that would indicate a lot of people have experienced it immediately after a recent upgrade (2018.6.1 or 2018.10.4, don't remember which). Either way, unless it becomes a frequent problem, I wouldn't worry about it. I have seen instructions on the center screen saying to hold the buttons to restart it two different times, and your are likely to find plenty of other reasons to restart it.

Last edited:
I took delivery of my very first EV car 2 weeks ago, a 2018 MX. Since then, I've had a few quirky software issues and I'd like to know if these are worth taking into the SC or if this is my new norm.

1) When pulling out of a parking garage, suddenly I could barely turn the steering wheel and this message appeared on the dash: Car needs service - steering assist unavailable. I pulled over, turned the car off for a few minutes, turned it back on and power steering was fine again. I called the SC and told them of the issue as I was concerned since we had planned a 3 hr road trip up north the next day. SC never called me back.

2) My navigation has problems re-adjusting itself. Often, letters will be turned sideways.

3) When trying to access the owner's manual, the touchscreen would turn off (including climate control and music).

4) And just today, the touchscreen didn't turn on at all. I was still able to drive and take my daughter to school, thank goodness, but no touchscreen, no music, no climate control, and no turn blinkers. To fix this, I rebooted the screen by pressing both scrolls on the steering wheel.

So, is this normal? I grew up in the age of computers and electronics so I fully understand that sometimes, you just have to restart computers/phones and voila everything is fine again. But, is this to be expected for the life of my new Tesla? Or does the car need to be serviced?

I've only had this car 2 weeks and I have yet to develop much trust in it yet because of these (and others I'm forgetting) issues.

Thanks in advance.
Recommend taking your MX into SC. See post in Model S Forum, Model S Delivery Update Model S Delivery Update via @teslamotorsclub
Recent new Model S delivery had the same problem you stated in 1), post gives details on what SC did to correct the problem and additional firmware updates are needed.

I had the same issues during my first month of ownership and was pretty upset about it (see my early posts), but our Model X has been great since the MCU was replaced in January. I really believe the old MCU is sub-standard quality, but the replacement (which is a refurb) is near perfect. It has only rebooted once, and that was during a long road trip, with no long term negative effects. I guess it just felt it needed a reboot.

The steering problem seemed to occur when I turned the wheels sharply when trying to park, or when I put the car into park and opened the door at about the same time. I resolved it by parking and turning the car off and on again. We have not received that error in the past 2 months and are in love with our Tesla again.

Yikes!

I've been trying to connect to wifi. It seems to connect, but very poorly. It started to work intermittently, but I figured the signal was weak.

So, I also installed a WifiExtender in my garage. As I'm setting up my 2018 MX (MCU2) to the wifi extender, everything freezes. Both screens freeze. I can't do a reset. Nothing works. No radio. No A/C. I can't even charge the car. Now I start to really freak out. The doors can all be opened and closed electronically. Can't drive it.

I give Tesla a call. She told me to try the reboot. Nothing happens. Screen is still frozen and not responsive.

While I"m on hold for Tech Support, I decide to just walk away from the car with my key and see if it resets. Nothing's changing. Then all of a sudden I see the T on the main screen, and the car appears to be rebooting. Thank heavens.

I've learned that I'm not messing with the Wifi until Tesla fixes the Wifi bug. I don't need a 'bricked' car 2 weeks into ownership.