Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Nissan Leaf - $29,990. 40kWh battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While it appears that Nissan has the advantage over Model 3 when it comes to production ramps, one could argue that the new Leaf is just a reworking of an established assembly line whereas the Model 3 is an entirely new car and new production line. If Tesla was merely refreshing the Model S they could also have decent production at the time of launch. Better comparison might be the Bolt which had than 1,000 units per month for 6 months.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Romanji please.
as cwerdna did,

note, just look for the traditional characters, 日産 is the only Japanese manufacturer using Kanji (traditional Chinese), so they are easy to spot.

The Nissan note is generally the No. 2 best selling car in Japan. October was horrendous, but if the LEAF continues to outsell the Nissan Note in Japan, then its probable that the LEAF becomes the besting car in Japan. That becomes a significant problem for Toyota (and hydrogen). It would make Japan the 1st major market in the world to have an EV as the best selling car, a key milestone.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak and gene
as cwerdna did,

note, just look for the traditional characters, 日産 is the only Japanese manufacturer using Kanji (traditional Chinese), so they are easy to spot.

The Nissan note is generally the No. 2 best selling car in Japan. October was horrendous, but if the LEAF continues to outsell the Nissan Note in Japan, then its probable that the LEAF becomes the besting car in Japan. That becomes a significant problem for Toyota (and hydrogen). It would make Japan the 1st major market in the world to have an EV as the best selling car, a key milestone.

An interesting side story is that Nissan Note sales jumped after Nissan launched the e-Power, which is a serial hybrid driven by a Leaf motor. Hybrid receive incentives and up to 70% of Nissan Note sales in Japan are e-Power.

Wow, wouldn't expect so much insecurity from Tesla fans. Tesla builds great cars and the 3 whenever they can start really producing them will be great too. But the leaf will offer a decent alternative especially for those who need a car sooner than later. A base Tesla will be nicer than the leaf, but it's $5k more and possibly even more expensive since Leaf buyers can take advantage of the full EV credits.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Wow, wouldn't expect so much insecurity from Tesla fans. Tesla builds great cars and the 3 whenever they can start really producing them will be great too. But the leaf will offer a decent alternative especially for those who need a car sooner than later. A base Tesla will be nicer than the leaf, but it's $5k more and possibly even more expensive since Leaf buyers can take advantage of the full EV credits.
I already own a Leaf, and am quite familiar with its deficiencies, which are many, especially if you live in a hot or cold climate for different reasons, but both coming down to no active thermal management for the battery. In the heat, it destroys the life of the battery and in the cold it limits range substantially. There is no way I would consider a Leaf again if it did not have active thermal management.
No supercharger access.
You must interact with a franchise dealership and their sliminess. They as a whole dislike the Leaf, so don’t want to sell or service it.
Less elegant design.
No ability to upgrade to Autopilot or FSD via software unlock.
Abysmal resale values. They drop 50% in 2 years and 4 year old ones can be had for $8,000.

On the plus side, you can get it with a heated steering wheel, which is quite nice to have in the winter.

내년 전기차 주행거리 300㎞대 시대 돌입한다

Korean site

Upcoming Nissan LEAF to have 64kWh LG battery NMC811
2018 Kia EV to have 60kWh class SK battery
2018 Hyundai EV to have 60kWh class LG battery

also, the Germans are going with Samsung....
These pack numbers may be approximate or maybe some are usable while others are nominal. Who knows.

Hyundai says their 2018 Kona EV has 2 pack size choices: 64.2 kWh or 42.7 kWh in Europe. I’m guessing those are nominal sizes and the usable amount is somewhat less. Kia just said at CES that their Niro EV “concept” is “64 kwh” according to media reports.

The Bolt EV is 60 kWh according to GM but it seems to be 58-59 kWh usable and some speculate it’s nominal size may be around 64 kWh.

Last edited:
These pack numbers may be approximate or maybe some are usable while others are nominal. Who knows.

Hyundai says their 2018 Kona EV has 2 pack size choices: 64.2 kWh or 42.7 kWh in Europe. I’m guessing those are nominal sizes and the usable amount is somewhat less. Kia just said at CES that their Niro EV “concept” is “64 kwh” according to media reports.

The Bolt EV is 60 kWh according to GM but it seems to be 58-59 kWh usable and some speculate it’s nominal size may be around 64 kWh.
I'm confused, nominal means "in name only", so if GM says it's 60 kWh then that is the nominal size and 64 kWh would be the actual size, at least that is how I understand it.

I spotted a new Leaf a couple days ago here in Las Vegas, with Tennessee manufacturer plate. It's no Model 3 but it definitely looks better than the old Leaf.

P_20180109_114930.jpg

I'm confused, nominal means "in name only", so if GM says it's 60 kWh then that is the nominal size and 64 kWh would be the actual size, at least that is how I understand it.
Nominal, as in the maximum capacity named by LG who makes the cells and assembled them into a pack for GM.

Most car makers advertise this capacity even though they reserve buffers at the bottom and possibly the top end in order to protect the cells from damage under extreme environmental conditions or excessive calendar aging effects.

Leaf is an amazing car with one serious flaw - battery degradation.

In a lot of ways I like the higher seating and how it drives, and practically maintenance and trouble free and very cheap to operate and very affordable price.

- They need to get the range up to 200 miles EPA so that become a comfortable all-weather 'commuter' car.
- They need to fix the battery degradation.

I still have two 24 kWh Leafs myself. I don't think the 2018 will ding us much, but if they fix the battery with thermal management and have over 200 miles of range in 2019, that might do it. We are already dinged pretty hard with the battery reputation. My estimation of how many freeway miles that the 2018 will get during nice weather is around 107-113 miles.

Last edited: