Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Nissan Leaf - $29,990. 40kWh battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is so pathetic, it makes the Bolt look good. Another fairly crappy compliance car.

It is going to require $5k discounts from day #1 to sell. I'll be amazed if CARB states do not have $149 a month leases and no money down by early 2018.

And if rumors hold true, Nissan is still using their climate proven, battery shrinking technology..

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
I think the new Leaf is a great car for all those folks who cannot afford a model 3.

or Bolt. If the cited article is correct that would mean the Leaf is $8k less than the Bolt, with only ~80 miles less range. Since both would probably be considered urban vehicle at this point, I could definitely see the appeal of saving $8k for similar usability. That may just be my Midwestern bias showing, though. I know the Coasters consider the Bolt more than an urban car.

Having owned three of those, I can tell you that the Leaf is a great car, no qualifiers necessary. If it wasn't for my personal need for luxury and vanity I could just live with the leaf.

+ 1. The Leaf is not without its annoyances, but it is a good car all things considered. The Leaf is not a compliance car like the Spark EV, 500e, Focus Electric, etc. Nissan should be applauded for taking a risk by building a BEV before all of the other major car makers. They could have, I don't know, deceived governments and consumers across the world by lying about emissions of their ICE vehicles while making billions of dollars only to "repent" and "commit to electric vehicles" when caught.

Come on people. I am as eagerly waiting for my Model 3 as others, but be a little informed before knocking off other cars. I thought Tesla people were a bit more informed than the general population. Many of you guys got the facts about the Nissan Leaf totally wrong. It sounds like you are trolling and almost as bad as ICE trollers on EV cars.

The Nissan Leaf is NOT a compliance car. The Leaf is the world's best selling electric car. Nissan is not terrible like GM, Ford, Honda, or Toyota where they sell compliance cars. Nissan has ton a tremendous job of getting an EV into the hands of an average person.

And the Nissan Leaf with the 30 kW pack does not have a 124 mile range. But only 107. So with the new Leaf, it'll be a huge jump of 150+. To get that in the low 20s (after rebate) is a tremendous value. The Model 3 base will not get the federal rebate and it does, only a portion.

So for a good chunk of time, the Nissan Leaf with its 150+ mile range will be almost $15k cheaper than a base Model 3.

That is a strong move by Nissan. And they'll have that widely available MUCH quicker than Tesla with their base Model 3.

or Bolt. If the cited article is correct that would mean the Leaf is $8k less than the Bolt, with only ~80 miles less range. Since both would probably be considered urban vehicle at this point, I could definitely see the appeal of saving $8k for similar usability. That may just be my Midwestern bias showing, though. I know the Coasters consider the Bolt more than an urban car.

From what I have seen so far, I would definitly prefer the Leaf over the Bolt. To me personally, Bolt looks ugly and has a cheap interior. In terms of value, Bolt is a more a 15K USD car.

Honestly this new Leaf might be a purchase of mine in the next few years. I'll have a teen who will be driving around soon and I just came to the realization this would be the perfect teen car. If I could pick up a used one cheap (the new body style) for say less than 10k this would be amazing. All she needs to do is drive back and forth to school, go to practice, and maybe go to the movies now and then. I was considering getting her a used Focus or Civic but this would be perfect and then it wouldn't use any gas.

When she goes to college I could throw it on a flatbed trailer and tow it there every year.

Yes the base Leaf is $5K less than the base 3. And it offers much less. Significantly less range, less power, slower, drivetrain and overall warranty mileage/time is much less, front wheel drive instead of rear wheel drive, and only slow DC charging and no long distance charging network.

On the plus side it has double the cargo capacity of the 3. And it's better looking than the first gen Leafs.

I hope it sells well.

From what I have seen so far, I would definitly prefer the Leaf over the Bolt. To me personally, Bolt looks ugly and has a cheap interior. In terms of value, Bolt is a more a 15K USD car.
For travelers, Leaf will have CHAdeMO standard, Bolt does not and has CCS as an option. For the time between now and ~2020 when CCS probably will dominate, the long Leaf will be the only practical nonTesla long trip choice. I don't know about the 2018 but the present Leaf suits my aesthetic sense better than does the Chevy.

I'm happy both are about to be available. However, it's sad that neither BMW nor Hyundai have made a longer range option. We need as many choices as possible. This is one situation in which 'a rising tide will lift all ships'.

I think the new Leaf is a great car for all those folks who cannot afford a model 3.
Actually a used Leaf is probably the wisest choice for those who can't afford.

They're dirt cheap. I'll probably only be able to sell my 2011 with a brand new spanking 12 bar battery for only $5k if I'm lucky. Probably less.

Granted range is half of the new ones with 40kw but until you get into the 200s and have super charging they're all city cars practically.

Reactions: SageBrush
And they'll have that widely available MUCH quicker than Tesla with their base Model 3.
That's highly unlikely. Tesla is planning on producing five times as many Model 3 per week than Nissan produces Leafs per week by the end of this year. Then they'll double it next year. By the end of next year, Tesla will likely have produced more Model 3 than the total number of Leafs produced to date.

That said, I think the new Leaf is shaping up to be a very good car. I don't think they'll have difficulty selling it.

It for sure will sell well, as does the current Leaf model. There are still a lot of people which do not need the range and luxury of a tesla model 3. Even with Tesla bringing a breakthrough entry luxury car, we still need a car company serving the entry level market with good cars, and Nissan/Renault do a good job in this area. Tesla already stated that model 3 will be their cheapest offering, as they see themself as a premium manufacturer. For sustainable transport to succeed, we need cheaper options than a model 3 as well.

Reactions: gambit48