Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Stealth Performance - Lost track mode (and red underline) with latest updates [resolved]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 Model 3 Performance (Stealth). I've had track mode since it was released the the red underline under "dual motor" since I got the car. With the latest car and application updates, both are now missing. Has this happened to any other stealth owners?

I wrote to Tesla and I am awaiting a response.

Thanks.
-Larry

So you used to have it and an upgrade removed both? That’s a little scary. Did you buy new or used?
I purchased it new...and paid extra money for the performance features. I know there weren't that many stealth models sold before they removed the option but they should still ensure they continue to have the features the paid for. Looking forward to Tesla's response.

2019 Stealth here. Still see a red line below my Dual Motor and have full Track Mode with the latest update (2021.24.4).

102F8958-E79B-4BFE-8BA0-D18CEA915D28.jpeg

You’re welcome. I’m sure Tesla can quickly remedy the situation with another update to your particular vehicle.

However, I see this as an opportunity to do a little test. I am quite curious if your vehicle currently thinks and behaves like a non-performance trim (since it doesn’t recognize that it has the performance motors). So, perhaps you can take your vehicle out for a quick drive/test. Smash the accelerator pedal from a stop and see if your vehicle accelerates like a normal Performance model would…

We already know that software can limit the vehicle‘s power output. So, since your current software thinks it’s a standard, non-performance model, I am curious if it will also behave that way with a slower acceleration.

You’re welcome. I’m sure Tesla can quickly remedy the situation with another update to your particular vehicle.

However, I see this as an opportunity to do a little test. I am quite curious if your vehicle currently thinks and behaves like a non-performance trim (since it doesn’t recognize that it has the performance motors). So, perhaps you can take your vehicle out for a quick drive/test. Smash the accelerator pedal from a stop and see if your vehicle accelerates like a normal Performance model would…

We already know that software can limit the vehicle‘s power output. So, since your current software thinks it’s a standard, non-performance model, I am curious if it will also behave that way with a slower acceleration.

I will do a test tomorrow.

For further background:
I know there has been a debate about performance models have different binned motors, etc. I can provide context from September 2018. Having received my car in September 2018, the Monroney sticker with my VIN said Performance and all of my sales documents said Performance ("stealth" on all forms). However, the actual car upon receipt did not have the red underline. A few back and forth messages with Tesla, talking to a manufacturing manager (these were the days when you could actually talk to humans on the phone at Tesla), and them sending me a screen shot of their internal vehicle configuration systems confirming my car was a Stealth Performance model, they pushed an update to my car and the red line appeared as well as improved performance. The manufacturing manager at the time told me there were not binned motors (Sept 2018) despite what some folks were saying in online forums at the time. Since the 2nd week of owning the car, everything has been fine performance wise and red line wise....until the last update. As you said, I'm sure it's probably something unique with my car that again requires a one-off correction. (I also have Obsedian Black paint that was only offered for a short period of time. I guess I'm just "difficult".)

Overall very happy with Tesla. Purchased a 7-seater Model Y in March for my wife.

I will do a test tomorrow.

For further background:
I know there has been a debate about performance models have different binned motors, etc. I can provide context from September 2018. Having received my car in September 2018, the Monroney sticker with my VIN said Performance and all of my sales documents said Performance ("stealth" on all forms). However, the actual car upon receipt did not have the red underline. A few back and forth messages with Tesla, talking to a manufacturing manager (these were the days when you could actually talk to humans on the phone at Tesla), and them sending me a screen shot of their internal vehicle configuration systems confirming my car was a Stealth Performance model, they pushed an update to my car and the red line appeared as well as improved performance. The manufacturing manager at the time told me there were not binned motors (Sept 2018) despite what some folks were saying in online forums at the time. Since the 2nd week of owning the car, everything has been fine performance wise and red line wise....until the last update. As you said, I'm sure it's probably something unique with my car that again requires a one-off correction. (I also have Obsedian Black paint that was only offered for a short period of time. I guess I'm just "difficult".)

Overall very happy with Tesla. Purchased a 7-seater Model Y in March for my wife.
Definitely something with your car - My stealth still has the red line and still wants to go very very fast. This is a very interesting situation on your end - I hope they get it resolved for you!

I know there has been a debate about performance models have different binned motors, etc. I can provide context from September 2018. Having received my car in September 2018, the Monroney sticker with my VIN said Performance and all of my sales documents said Performance ("stealth" on all forms). However, the actual car upon receipt did not have the red underline. A few back and forth messages with Tesla, talking to a manufacturing manager (these were the days when you could actually talk to humans on the phone at Tesla), and them sending me a screen shot of their internal vehicle configuration systems confirming my car was a Stealth Performance model, they pushed an update to my car and the red line appeared as well as improved performance. The manufacturing manager at the time told me there were not binned motors (Sept 2018) despite what some folks were saying in online forums at the time.

By the way, if you are interested in going down that rabbit hole and determining/confirming for yourself which type of motor is actually in your vehicle, just take a peep inside your wheel well and you’ll see the motor nameplate which will identify the motor type. Here’s mine… with the motor type circled in red. I have the 980 motor, which I guess is considered the performance variant, but who really knows for sure…

D716D123-F923-469D-8029-5213011E7BA8.jpeg

Update: The service center didn't actually write back regarding my request but they changed my mobile appointment to an in shop appointment (and the date is now Sept 16th).

Below is the screen shot from the internal Tesla systems that they provided me when we had the original back and forth in Sept 2018. I figured folks might find it interesting.

2 minor things to note, I do actually have lifetime free supercharging and Obsidian black. However he told me that this particular system didn't have a way to track those two items properly. Growing pains I assume.
1630339508623.png