TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

2018 Supercharger plan and changes - Michigan

Discussion in 'Midwest/Great Lakes' started by turbospecc, Sep 11, 2017.

1. turbospecc

turbospecc Member

Hopefully I'm not reposting this, but I think this is new with the 72 kW "urban Supercharger" announcement.

Based on Tesla's map, it looks like the 2018 additions/changes are:

Novi
    Detroit
    Swartz Creek (near Flint)
    Claire
    Mackinaw City
    Gaylord (Grayling for 2017 seems to have been removed)
    Escanaba (U.P.)

Find Us | Tesla

Attached Files:

2. Buckster

Buckster Member

When is the one in Lansing opening up? I'm leaving Virginia and headed up there in 2 weeks for the MSU Homecoming game. It would nice to use an SC on this trip. Hope the one in Claire is close to "Cops N Donuts"!!

3. turbospecc

turbospecc Member

Likely within the next couple of weeks. Check out this thread for progress: Supercharger - Lansing Michigan

There is an 80a wall connector in a parking garage right next to the Supercharger if it's not operational yet - check out Plugshare.

4. Buckster

Buckster Member

Got it, thanks........

5. sdoorex

sdoorex Member

It's awesome to see them finally plan one in the UP and it will make driving to see family much easier. Hopefully it will also encourage more general EV infrastructure too.

6. timf

timf Member

Very pleased to see the Mackinaw City location. This will make trips to the island a breeze as there really aren't that many public charging options in that area.

I'm also glad to see a location in the Flint area, but I am concerned that Tesla has selected the wrong Meijer location. The Swartz Creek store is out of the way for north/south travel on I-75 & US-23, which is a much more heavily traveled route than I-69. They should instead be targeting the Hill Rd. location off US-23, which is more convenient for north/south traffic and still only a short detour for I-69 traffic.

7. IT Geek

IT Geek Member

I'd love to see Tesla move one of the near Detroit locations and put it in Allen Park. There is a Meijer there (on the hill) and the benefit of that location is that it's very close to M39 (Southfield Fwy), I94 and I75. There are tons of shops and places to eat there as well. it would be a great location. The Meijer already has a couple L2 chargers there, but Supercharing would be much better. Besides the parking lot is enormous so there's plenty of room.

• Like x 1
  8. itshukokay

itshukokay Member

It'd be nice if all Meijer stores had superchargers haha. Sterling Heights Meijer is on 16 mile and Van Dyke, one of the biggest intersections in the county, and a minute away from home. I've emailed Tesla and recommended the location for future charging.

9. kmistry1986

kmistry1986 Member

Anywhere in Sterling Heights would be great. My wife's family lives out there and we frequently head back there.

10. ilovemycoffee

ilovemycoffee MS 85D HW1 Late 2015

I guess you can add Big Rapids and Muskegon to the list. I'm impressed with the number of Superchargers Michigan is getting!

• Like x 1
  11. SteelGrey

SteelGrey Member

12. cchc99

cchc99 Member

#12 cchc99, Oct 27, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    I've heard rumors of the Muskegon supercharger. Anyone know where the planned location is? The Meijer at 31 and 96?

NVM - found the answer and pictures. Exactly where I expected it. This is a good thing!

• Like x 1
  13. IT Geek

IT Geek Member

This website will keep you informed, even more so than the Tesla one:

supercharge.info

14. Adonzil

Adonzil Member

The move from Grayling to Gaylord really bums me out. Gaylord does make a lot more sense, due to size of the city, but Grayling is the turning point for a lot of traverse city traffic.

Any word on why the change?

15. ilovemycoffee

ilovemycoffee MS 85D HW1 Late 2015

No Meijers in Grayling?

16. Adonzil

Adonzil Member

Correct. But there never has been a Meijer there. Makes sense, just wonder why they put it there in the first place.

17. mongo

mongo Member

So down the road Alpena might get one? Would prefer Tawas area or Oscoda, but no Meijer there.

18. timf

timf Member

I wouldn't rule out cities just because they don't have a Meijer. Clare and Mackinaw City don't, and they are on the 2018 list. Novi could be as well, but it will probably be at the Wixom Meijer.

• Like x 1
  19. IT Geek

IT Geek Member

Neither Marshall nor Lansing are located at a Meijer and those were both opened this year. Certainly Tesla does have a very good working relationship with Meijer and it's nice to know that you'll be able to find a restroom if you happen to roll in at 3AM. But there's nothing at all saying that Tesla only opens the Michigan locations at a Meijer.

• Like x 1