Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor vs. Performance Dyno Results

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Video available in Ultra High Definition (4K: 3840x2160p) on YouTube:

The dyno event occured on November 30, 2018 at National Speed in Richmond, VA. Their dynonameter equipment was DynoJet 424xLC2. We dyno'ed @ScottFrancis 2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive and my 2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range Performance Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive with Performance Upgrade to compare max horsepower and torque. We also dyno'ed both cars in Chill Mode for giggles and to compare.

From the YouTube video above or the attached chart in PDF, here are the results:
2:16 - Dyno'ing Scott's Dual Motor (non-Performance) with 83% SOC
3:56 - Dyno graph result of Scott's car (max power=367.17 HP, max torque=393.64 ft-lbs)
4:00 - Dyno'ing Hoang's Performance with 89% SOC
5:40 - Dyno graph result of Hoang's car (max power=463.71 HP, max torque=496.28 ft-lbs)
5:44 - Dyno'ing Scott's in Chill Mode with Slip Start with 81% SOC
7:29 - Dyno'ing Hoang's in Chill Mode (no Slip Start) with 88% SOC
8:50 - Dyno graph result of both Scott's and Hoang's cars in Chill Mode (Dual Motor: power=205.65 HP, torque=234.44 ft-lbs | Performance: power=203.65 HP, torque=233.75 ft-lbs)

We both started out at about 90% SOC at National Speed when we both Supercharged at a nearby Supercharger. Scott got to National Speed first after finish charging to 93% SOC, I was late due to traffic and trying to catch up with the charging to about 94% SOC (extra 1% to compensate the performance happy electrons). The reason that Scott's car dropped down to low 80s% SOC was due from National Speed trying to configure their DynoJet to compute torque, which took them some time and robbed some charge. They were also researching how others tried to calculate the torque on dynos, but they didn't like what they found on the Internet or the lack of information thereof. National Speed did get in touch with the DynoJet technical support to solve the torque issue. We tried to stop the power bleed by charging Scott's car in between testing stages with the included mobile connector. George did explain how torque was calculated in the above video. But the good thing was that the actual dyno runs were virtually consistent with each other that it didn't matter much. This isn't shown in the video above, but from the other videos I have and the dyno results that National Speed have, it wasn't worth posting neglible results. If I posted everything, the video would've been about twice as long.

From the dyno runs, we can make an educated conclusion that the Dual Motor (non-Performance) appears to be software limited due to the near flat power from about 5000-11600 RPM. This is evident by the Chill Mode's dyno results with similar torque curves for both cars. Chill Mode handicaps the Performance down to nearly the same power/torque output as the Dual Motor (non-Performance). If you ever want dead even race with another Tesla Model 3, Chill Mode is something to look into. ;)

For those who are interested in beyond dyno numbers, you can see my Dragy runs results for 0-65 MPH, 1/8 mile, and 1/4 mile measured times.

Big thanks to Scott Francis for sparking the original dyno quest that expanded to include my car (Performance); those who supported the dyno funding in the original thread; George Taylor III, Matt Wells, Jeremy Hamill, and others at National Speed. Also thanks to @MountainPass for doing their due diligence with dyno'ing their Tesla Model 3 RWD:

I decided to post the following dyno results separate from the original thread here: GoFundMe to Dyno the AWD (non-Performance)
This is because the title of the original thread wouldn't properly capture attention of those who are looking at titles of the posts for specific information. Scott did initially post up the results in that thread in a timely manner.

Sorry for the late posting at almost 2 months later sitting on valuable data, mainly the videos. I was too busy with work and family life (my toddler just can't stay still!). The holidays in between didn't help either to free up my time.

Attachments

• 2018 Tesla Model 3 with Performance Upgrade vs. Dual Motor.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 2,144
Last edited:
Does anyone know what speed is 10k RPM?
Extrapolating by where the governor kicks in for the AWD, which is supposed to be 145mph:
11700 RPM / 145 mph = 80.68 RPM/mph

So 10000RPM should be 10000/80.68 = 124mph

Which doesn't match up with @FlyNavy01 's number. I suspect they got there by using 9.3:1 gear ratio? Which strikes me as sound math although I've not double checked it, and leaves me kinda confused here?

Extrapolating by where the governor kicks in for the AWD, which is supposed to be 145mph:
11700 RPM / 145 mph = 80.68 RPM/mph

So 10000RPM should be 10000/80.68 = 124mph

Which doesn't match up with @FlyNavy01 's number. I suspect they got there by using 9.3:1 gear ratio? Which strikes me as sound math, and leaves me kinda confused here?
The rear motor max rpm is between 17,900-18,200 (the original manual used to state 17,900rpm for the LR RWD before it was removed) and it has a 9:1 reduction gear ratio. I haven't yet discovered if the front induction motor has the same rpm/reduction ratio yet, but if not it is very similar.

Max rpm of 18,000 equates to 155mph in the P3D, multiply that by 10/18 and you get ~86mph. The graph above stops at 11,700 but that's not the vehicle top speed, it's just where they let off the accelerator pedal on the dyno.

Looks like it. But it also looks like it’ll still pull on the awd 60-100. It’s not just faster 0-60.

Well, 1/4 mile numbers suggest it won't pull much 60-100 over the AWD... not only are trap speeds very close (as compared to the RWD way behind both) but the actual ET difference between AWD and P at 60 is almost exactly the same at the end of the 1/4 mile when both cars are going almost twice as fast.

Reactions: Zoomit
Well, 1/4 mile numbers suggest it won't pull much 60-100 over the AWD... not only are trap speeds very close (as compared to the RWD way behind both) but the actual ET difference between AWD and P at 60 is almost exactly the same at the end of the 1/4 mile when both cars are going almost twice as fast.

Dyno graph shows the p3d still puts down a decent amount more hp 60-80 mph, equaling out at about 100mph. has to mean for something when pulling 60-100...no? Not saying it’s gonna be as drastic a difference as 0-60...but should still pull on an awd. Curious to see some vids....on how much of a difference there is.

Edit:
Asked over in the Tesla Corsa thread...response so far was that “you could see the difference in the straights”

Tesla Corsa 2nd Event is Jan 27th!

61907790-C7FF-418C-B5D4-ECFC284EDC18.png

Last edited: