Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor vs. Performance Dyno Results

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah but that reply isn't clear what speeds they were starting from...

I'm just going by the fact the AWD is about 1 second slower to 60.... but also about 1 second slower to the end of the 1/4 mile (where they're both within 1-2 mph of 112)

In contrast the gap between say the RWD and AWD at the end of the 1/4 is significantly more than the 0.6 seconds it is at 60 mph (as is the trap speed, by ~10 mph)

Yeah but that reply isn't clear what speeds they were starting from...

I'm just going by the fact the AWD is about 1 second slower to 60.... but also about 1 second slower to the end of the 1/4 mile (where they're both within 1-2 mph of 112)

In contrast the gap between say the RWD and AWD at the end of the 1/4 is significantly more than the 0.6 seconds it is at 60 mph (as is the trap speed, by ~10 mph)

Looking at in car vids from the event....coming out of the corners 60+ But maybe ask over in that thread? I’ve never driven Buttonwillow.

Last edited:
Am I reading the graphs right that the Performance model start to put power down ~500rpm later? And it only passes the Dual's torque curve at ~2900rpm?

As others have mentioned, it would be interesting to validate Tesla's claims from yesterday's announcements:
Tesla said:
Tesla also announced a number of firmware upgrades for both new and existing customers. The upgrades will increase the range of the Long Range Rear-Wheel Drive Model 3 to 325 miles, increase the top speed of Model 3 Performance to 162 mph, and add an average of approximately 5% peak power to all Model 3 vehicles.
Take a car or two to the dyno, do runs. Install this magical firmware update and charge, do the runs again...

Since Tesla never released official HP numbers. What are the chances they are making this 5% HP increase claim just so they can adjust the published 0-60 times upwardly? Or are they not changing those? Just a thought.
Thought I read Elon confirming that this was because they now had enough fleet data that told them they could expand the margins on the motors and other systems.

Dyno graph shows the p3d still puts down a decent amount more hp 60-80 mph, equaling out at about 100mph. has to mean for something when pulling 60-100...no? Not saying it’s gonna be as drastic a difference as 0-60...but should still pull on an awd. Curious to see some vids....on how much of a difference there is.

Edit:
Asked over in the Tesla Corsa thread...response so far was that “you could see the difference in the straights”

You can definitely see it in the straight line acceleration in this YouTube video, which was posted up on Reddit:

Who's going to test again when Tesla releases the 5% improved power?

I most likely won't have the time to do that nearly all day trip again down to Richmond again. I got a second kid coming soon, so I can't sneak out like last time and nearly got into trouble with the wife... :p

But what I'm contemplating is to do a ninja Dragy run at 90% SOC in the name of science. I don't have time to do other lower SOC runs as before though. I'll have more issue doing the Dragy run because I can't get out late at night as I used to.

Reactions: kayleia
I most likely won't have the time to do that nearly all day trip again down to Richmond again. I got a second kid coming soon, so I can't sneak out like last time and nearly got into trouble with the wife... :p

But what I'm contemplating is to do a ninja Dragy run at 90% SOC in the name of science. I don't have time to do other lower SOC runs as before though. I'll have more issue doing the Dragy run because I can't get out late at night as I used to.

Hey Hoang, is thesis for a 90% SOC run is that will be the best trim the car will at for Max HP/TQ output?
And that anything below 90% will see degradation in performance i.e. more battery = more power - true?

Hey Hoang, is thesis for a 90% SOC run is that will be the best trim the car will at for Max HP/TQ output?
And that anything below 90% will see degradation in performance i.e. more battery = more power - true?

To get maximum power output, it should be 100% SOC according to other people who have either tested or made runs at SOC > 90%. 90% SOC is just coming from suggested SOC for every day use by Tesla.

If you saw my Dragy results, you can come to a conclusion that the lower the SOC, the less power the motors will get, thus car gets slower.

If you're doing 0-60 MPH racing, ~50% SOC or higher will maintain the advertised 0-60 MPH in 3.5 seconds. But for quarter mile runs, best to have highest SOC as possible. You could see this in my Dragy Runs.

Found the dyno graph of the P3D before/after the 5% peak power update.

But has anyone done one yet for just the AWD model?

p3d-dyno.jpeg

Last edited: