Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD at 34,000 miles (Wheel Alignment with new tires?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having new tires installed on my wife's 2018 Tesla Model 3 in a couple of weeks, (34,000 miles). Tesla Tech says Wheel Alignment is recommended?
She drives it very conservatively. Any opinions about the need to have a Wheel Alignment done? $$$ for 4 new tires is enough!

Having new tires installed on my wife's 2018 Tesla Model 3 in a couple of weeks, (34,000 miles). Tesla Tech says Wheel Alignment is recommended?
She drives it very conservatively. Any opinions about the need to have a Wheel Alignment done? $$$ for 4 new tires is enough!
Just did that with a 2018 AWD Model 3 with 33K miles. Once I got over the shock
that Tesla tires don't outlast their warranty life, I sprang for the alignment, esp.
since the cost is only a small fraction of four tires. (That plus Costco not doing
wheel alignments but having a sale which paid for the procedure.) After getting
back the readings it made sense since I (together early FSD beta) curbed a wheel
a couple of times...

They say even if you drive like a grandparent like I do, there's no escape from tire costs,
but it's compensated for by not needing much (if anything) in the way of brake work.

Reactions: OldPro
Upvote 0
It’s always a good idea to get an alignment (check) when replacing tires just based on time and road conditions.

I just did my 2018 RWD at about the same miles but didn’t pay Tesla. Used the New Year coupon for a lifetime alignment at Firestone. I got the tires at Costco in the summer but waited until January for the alignment since I also drive conservatively and very little (train to work and bike in good weather). There were slight adjustments but they were enough to make it worth the cost plus, with lifetime, I’ll probably have it checked with rotations (or at least every other).

Check your local Firestone to make sure they do Teslas and get good reviews. If they do, even their regular price (with or without a mid-year coupon let alone the New Year one) for lifetime would be better than Tesla’s one time fee.

YMMV

Reactions: loquitur
Upvote 0
A general rule of thumb that’s worked for me over decades is that there’s no wheel alignment necessary if the car tracks true. I went to have my original tires replaced end of 2021 (softer 51,000 miles), and Telsa automatically added the price of alignment to the deal. I told them no, please remove it, which they did. To this day (almost 20,000 miles later), my tires are evenly worn with plenty of tread on them still, and the car tracks straight and true.

Reactions: gaswalla
Upvote 0
If the tires are worn evenly, across the top of the tread, and it tracks straight, then you probably can skip the alignment.

How expensive is an alignment? It's between $90 and $110 around here. You can have it checked for free. Of course, the downside is if it's misaligned, then you have to pay them to correct it. But if it IS misaligned, surely that's what you want, right?

I drive a 2018, 44k miles, and I'm on my 3rd set, that I put on in the Fall, before Winter. I figure 2 to 3 years for a set of tires, the most important component for safety and performance is plenty. With heavy rains in California, why risk hydroplaning with low tread.

Reactions: ColoradoMike
Upvote 0
I would add it's a good idea to be your own lookout; check your tires ever few weeks for correct tire pressure (finally again easy to find on the display), every couple months (milage based really) to confirm even wear and consider rotating front/back 6-10k miles.

Looking for wear on a regular interval helps you learn what the tread looks like from outside to inside edge on the tire, especially if you start with new tires properly inflated + good alignment. You start to see differences across the tread face, be aware. Some is normal, some accelerated by bad alignment. Some accelerated by driving style.

Noting off-alignment wear can be hard to see by eye often unless extreme but you may learn more than you think. It's true that if the car tracks straight there is unlikely a large discrepancy from spec but small clues pop up in tire wear, toe in/out sometimes being the easiest to see.

Side note, a failing shock absorber can create a unique cupping pattern on the tire, something else to watch for as well. I'm no longer surprised seeing a car drive down the road with a wildly jiggery tire and seemingly unaware driver behind the wheel. Handling can be adversely effected as well as early tire death.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Upvote 0
I used to subscribe to the “tracks true” mentality but it is possible for the sides to be misaligned in opposition so they’re out of spec but the whole car tracks. Tread wear is a good indicator but can be difficult to see early enough, especially if you don’t rotate on a regular basis.

That said, if you watch those things and don’t drive on rough (potholes, etc.) roads, you can probably skip alignments or even checks at any specific intervals; just wait until you suspect an issue.

Reactions: OldPro
Upvote 0
If the tires are worn evenly, across the top of the tread, and it tracks straight, then you probably can skip the alignment.

How expensive is an alignment? It's between $90 and $110 around here. You can have it checked for free. Of course, the downside is if it's misaligned, then you have to pay them to correct it. But if it IS misaligned, surely that's what you want, right?

I drive a 2018, 44k miles, and I'm on my 3rd set, that I put on in the Fall, before Winter. I figure 2 to 3 years for a set of tires, the most important component for safety and performance is plenty. With heavy rains in California, why risk hydroplaning with low tread.
Tesla Service wanted $240 for an alignment. I passed after taking a good look at my tire wear at 35,000

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Upvote 0
In the old ICE days, it was easy to check the tires for pressure and wear, because I'd stop at the gas station once a week. While waiting for the pump, I'd wash the front windshield and check the tires. Now, that I no longer stop for gas, there's no regular routine for checking tires. So, I'd say now, the best time to check your tires for wear is when you wash the car, just run your hand over the tread, front to back. You're checking for cupping or feathering, and stick your finger in the main grooves to check for wear. You'd be surprised at how you can actually feel the depth, even if you can't see the depth.

Upvote 0