Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Tesla Model 3 "Oreo" Build Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried the following seats and ranked them in order of preference:
  1. Clek Oobr
  2. MaxiCost RodiFix
  3. Chicco KidFit Zip
  4. Chicco MyFit LE Harness
  5. Britax Frontier ClickTight
  6. Diono Radian RXT
  7. Graco Booster
I liked the MaxiCost Rodifix but with the narrow base and the fact that it doesn't rest against the back of the seat, it's very tipsy! But it makes for a fun ride for the kids...

Some comments on each:
  1. Clek Oobr - expensive, great quality, rigid latch system, quick to install, medium weight, good fit.
  2. MaxiCost RodiFix - looks nice, light weight, not stable in turns, rigid latch, seat not very deep, feels flimsy
  3. Chicco KidFit Zip - simple, cheap, gets the job done
  4. Chicco MyFit LE Harness - didn't really try this much
  5. Britax Frontier ClickTight - very heavy, large, probably very safe, just too big and bulky for my taste
  6. Diono Radian RXT - didn't try it
  7. Graco Booster - the most basic booster, simple and small - easy to fit two of these in the trunk
Thanks for sharing all this info. Some really useful stuff here.

Since you have all those seats on-hand, would you mind trying to fit 3 across the back row? I suspect you’d have to use belts vs LATCH to get them all in there, but just curious which, if any, configurations would work.

Bad news, it's REALLY hard to get 3 car seats/boosters in the back. 3 booster seats fit but the problem is the seat belt latches gets stuck under the other seats so it would be a real pain to buckle and unbuckle the belts with kids on the seats.

2018-04-13 23_12_41-DSC05417.JPG ‎- Photos.png

2018-04-13 23_14_09-Photo - Google Photos.png

With two high back boosters attached with LATCH, I think it's impossible to have 3 kids in back. The maxicosi is a relatively narrow but there's no way a booster fits in the middle. I also have a Diono Radian as well but didn't open it yet, I think I saw another post where someone got 3 kids in back when using those.

2018-04-13 23_18_49-DSC05419.JPG ‎- Photos.png
2018-04-13 23_19_45-Photo - Google Photos.png

Also, with 1-2 seats installed does the rear armrest have room to fold down?

Great thread, thanks for the great information. This will make my transition super easy :)

Yes, plenty of room to get the armrest down.

2018-04-13 21_44_42-DSC05425.JPG ‎- Photos.png

If you happen to try the Diono, can you try it facing backwards. Or for that matter, any of the high back car seats backwards. Wondering how much clearance there is from the back of the carseat to the driver/passenger seat. In my current car, we have to pull the passenger's seat forward else the carseat touches it.

If you happen to try the Diono, can you try it facing backwards. Or for that matter, any of the high back car seats backwards. Wondering how much clearance there is from the back of the carseat to the driver/passenger seat. In my current car, we have to pull the passenger's seat forward else the carseat touches it.
I'd also like to see this. Specifically behind the passenger seat and the center seat if possible. In the rear facing configuration. @ahkim

Thanks!

Thanks for reporting back on the car seats!

A little disheartening to see that you had so much trouble getting 3 across... I have 2 Diono Radian's and a BabyTrend infant carrier (the narrowest convertible system, at 17" wide) that I am realllllly hoping will fit.

I can't imagine my wife's response will be very positive if they don't fit when my car arrives in a few weeks.... eek.

I'd also like to see this. Specifically behind the passenger seat and the center seat if possible. In the rear facing configuration. @ahkim

Thanks!

I'll look into this. I'm not sure if any of the car seats I have are designed to be rear facing.

Great looking car!

I was going to suggest the Olek...we LOVE this booster!

Yea - I never heard of Clek until I got my Model 3 and I'm really impressed by their products. I just ordered the Olli to compliment the Oobr. Those will be my two car seats for my car. Hoping the Olli fits in the frunk.

Thanks for reporting back on the car seats!

A little disheartening to see that you had so much trouble getting 3 across... I have 2 Diono Radian's and a BabyTrend infant carrier (the narrowest convertible system, at 17" wide) that I am realllllly hoping will fit.

I can't imagine my wife's response will be very positive if they don't fit when my car arrives in a few weeks.... eek.

Ugh - I have a bad feeling it's going to be a real pain to get in 3 kids. I just had my kids in the X and I was surprised how much roomier that felt in the back. Too late to get an X? The 6 seat version is pretty awesome with it's mono-pole seat base system.

On another note, my hitch arrived! My pile of parts is building up but the weather has been so lousy that I'm not in a rush to get the hitch, chargers, or springs installed.

2018-04-18 16_36_23-Photo - Google Photos.png

Regarding the hitch, how many do you think it will take to DIY install it? Can it be done without lifting the car?

2018-04-18 16_36_50-Photo - Google Photos.png

So an interesting development, I have the chance to swap (no cost) my Model 3 and get a 2017 Model X 75D with EAP, leather, white paint, 8000 miles, 5 seats, stock wheels.

whichone.jpg

I've driven the X quite a bit and it might be my top pick for a family car (especially if it had the rear seats - which this does not). While the acceleration is great - it's not even close to the fun factor of the 3. If you haven't driven the 3, it's incredibly fun fun fun to drive. In fact, on my drive home today I was able to get the rear end to kick out which is a blast!

The X is also an amazing winter car - snow tires, dual motor, and a lot of weight = great winter ride.

I lose a lot of range 310 miles vs 237 miles = 73 miles less.

Am I nuts to pass on upgrading to the X?

So an interesting development, I have the chance to swap (no cost) my Model 3 and get a 2017 Model X 75D with EAP, leather, white paint, 8000 miles, 5 seats, stock wheels.
Am I nuts to pass on upgrading to the X?
Whaaat?! Is that a local owner looking to downsize? That's an interesting proposition. Our long term (2-3 years) plan is to replace our Leaf with a used X leaving us with a 3 and an X. I think the 6 seater is our ultimate goal, of course we could make a 5 seater work, tho.
Sounds like you have some fun decisions to make.

Can you confirm the seat belt extender you got is still working consistently? I see some reviews saying it doesnt work every time. How has it been?

I desperately need one for my Model 3 but cant seem to find a dependable one.

I share your thoughts, but we decided to cram our family in the 3 for a couple years while we wait for a healthier used X market. Who knows, maybe the Y will come along someday!

@ahkim the X will haul your bike(s) around better, too! Don't lose sleep over it :)

I hear that!!

We love our 3 and it is our SUV even though I own a huge Dodge Ram :)

Also waiting to see the Y size and used X prices to fall.

Whats family deal mean? :)

I would do that switch in a heart beat as a dad. As a driver, no way in hell. I love the 3 pep and sporty nimble nature. The X feels like a large egg with wheels and my least favorite Tesla design.

But again, dad here and kids and family come first so yes X all the way.

Totally agree. Decided to swap to the X so I've been enjoying my last few days with the 3.

Very tasteful mods and a very nicely modified M3! Your S4 also looks really good.

It will be interesting to see if you get rid of the M3 for the X.

What exactly is this? I'm thinking you were joking when you mentioned its a power source for emergencies. :)

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/2018-04-01-00_45_05-dsc05162-jpg-‎-photos-png.290961/

Yes, just joking...it's an AED that I keep in the car.

Can you confirm the seat belt extender you got is still working consistently? I see some reviews saying it doesnt work every time. How has it been?

I desperately need one for my Model 3 but cant seem to find a dependable one.

I haven't been using it much but I did try it today and it seems to be fine. I recall that it doesn't fully click 100% of the time so as long as you remember to check it, I think it's fine.

I share your thoughts, but we decided to cram our family in the 3 for a couple years while we wait for a healthier used X market. Who knows, maybe the Y will come along someday!

@ahkim the X will haul your bike(s) around better, too! Don't lose sleep over it :)

Yea, that's actually one of the reasons why I decided to switch to the X. Based on what I've read about low height of the hitch being a potential issue and the fact I'm planning on installing the Unplugged "Moderate" lowereing springs, I think the X will be a better bike hauler overall.

Here's a teaser of what I'll be doing tomorrow!

2018-04-28 21_47_17-Photo - Google Photos.png

Some driving impressions:
  • Sooo quick out of the corners, major advantage not having to shift and having instant power
  • Car felt very flat in the corners, a few people made that comment after my runs.
  • Stock all season tires are very mediocre. I ran Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my Audi S4 so it took a while to get used to the under steer from lack of grip. Front tires took a beating and have some minor chunks of trend missing.
  • Car felt VERY playful - in a good way. Lots of control. Initially, I was worried that I would spin out coming out of a turn but I wasn't even close.
  • Brakes were sufficient. Not really an issue there.
  • Slip Start was off, regen normal, and steering normal.
  • I passed the sound check :)
I'll post some videos soon.

2018-05-01 23_40_50-26947774367_1de4c10554_o.jpg ‎- Photos.png

2018-05-01 23_37_20-26947794707_71b0fe8cdb_o.jpg ‎- Photos.png

2018-05-01 23_37_58-27946982358_34114d4fe1_o.jpg ‎- Photos.png

2018-05-01 23_38_34-41098776064_f5b890c9bd_o.jpg ‎- Photos.png

2018-05-01 23_39_31-40916628885_e800a77852_o.jpg ‎- Photos.png

Reactions: Zextraterrestrial