Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 to 2021 Model 3 Upgrade Observations/Annoyances:

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went from 2018 LR AWD with accelerated boost to 20121 M3P with FSD.

1. the doubt pane windows dont do jack...this new car is twice as loud as my old car...I am getting close to 90bd' as measured by phone app by my ear on normal freeway driving...when its wet outside I am now hearing water sparkling noises too...I even installed noise seal kit for the car and its helped slightly...dealer said windows adjusted to go up as high as possible...anyone else find the road noise to be unusually loud???

2. gotta say, this car doesn't feel much faster than my old car with acceleration boost...I was getting 0-60 with drag on old car of 4.9-4.1 sec's,,,havent had chance to do this on new car.

3. FSD is truly useless until they open up FSD beta to everyone...on city streets it is worse than my old AP...now if i try FSD in city diving it stops at every stoplight whether its green or red...Im sure Ill feel different once they open up true FSD for everyone.

4. why the hell did they get rid of the green battery icon?...now its dark gray and can barely see it...the temp and other numbers so small on screen can barely see it now...maybe Im just blind now .

5. why did they rid of the T sign at top?...now i cant find things like fart made etc.

6. the vibrations and humming noise while stopped is abit annoying ...gotta be the new heat pump activating.

7. why does the passenger fan control/speed keep turning off each time i get in car.??

Other than that its great car!...:)

Reactions: puckpurnell
I went from 2018 LR AWD with accelerated boost to 20121 M3P with FSD.

1. the doubt pane windows dont do jack...this new car is twice as loud as my old car...I am getting close to 90bd' as measured by phone app by my ear on normal freeway driving...when its wet outside I am now hearing water sparkling noises too...I even installed noise seal kit for the car and its helped slightly...dealer said windows adjusted to go up as high as possible...anyone else find the road noise to be unusually loud???

you have different wheels and tires, I expect that's most, if not all, of the difference.

2. gotta say, this car doesn't feel much faster than my old car with acceleration boost...I was getting 0-60 with drag on old car of 4.9-4.1 sec's,,,havent had chance to do this on new car.

Measured the same way (1 foot rollout) the LR AWD+ (with boost) is ~3.5 seconds 0-60, the P is about 3 flat.

3. FSD is truly useless until they open up FSD beta to everyone...on city streets it is worse than my old AP...now if i try FSD in city diving it stops at every stoplight whether its green or red...Im sure Ill feel different once they open up true FSD for everyone.

Wide release autosteer is explicitly not intended for use on city streets in the first place- either year of car. The actual software is the same regardless of year.

You can disable it stopping at lights if you prefer it's a software setting.

4. why the hell did they get rid of the green battery icon?...now its dark gray and can barely see it...the temp and other numbers so small on screen can barely see it now...maybe Im just blind now .

5. why did they rid of the T sign at top?...now i cant find things like fart made etc.

Again those are software changes- and the same software runs on a 2018 and a 2021.

6. the vibrations and humming noise while stopped is abit annoying ...gotta be the new heat pump activating.

Could be- that one I have no personal experience with.

7. why does the passenger fan control/speed keep turning off each time i get in car.??

Sounds like a profile/setting difference.

Do you have easy entry on now, but didn't in the old car perhaps? Or is your profile not tied to your key in the new car?

Reactions: jjrandorin