Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 X 75D total range went down after trying "range mode" for a day

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My MX 2018 75D 18k miles 90% charge was 199 last week. I tried to use range mode for the first time for 1 day and now, when I charge, it only goes up to 192 miles at 90%. So I just brushed it off and drove out. I noticed on the trip meter actual miles driven today is only 110 and I have 25 miles left when I got home. So I lost about 57 miles on something else? I don't use heater and my AC was off most of the time. The only thing that was on is sentry mode. Would factory reset help?

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
My MX 2018 75D 18k miles 90% charge was 199 last week. I tried to use range mode for the first time for 1 day and now, when I charge, it only goes up to 192 miles at 90%. So I just brushed it off and drove out. I noticed on the trip meter actual miles driven today is only 110 and I have 25 miles left when I got home. So I lost about 57 miles on something else? I don't use heater and my AC was off most of the time. The only thing that was on is sentry mode. Would factory reset help?
From one day to the next there will be differences. The charger doesn't shut off at precisely the same stage of charge every time, temperature variations at or during the charging session, weather conditions at the time and so forth. The car actually changes the available miles as the battery ages. The mileage displayed is a made up number anyway, having nothing to do with achievable range. It cannot begin to estimate range until you start driving. Use the energy graph to estimate range, the graph is based on your actual driving over the last five, fifteen or thirty miles.

TBH, I would recommend is setting the gauge to display % energy rather than distance. It makes much more sense, and gives you an idea how full the "tank" is, which is all you wanted to know anyway. Even with that set, you will still notice differences, I have my cars normally set to charge to 75%. overnight. Most of the time, that is where it stops. But it varies from 73% to 78%, particularly my Model 3.

Bottom line? Don't sweat the small stuff.

Reactions: righton
i have a lot to get used to with Tesla EV's...
Pay attention to your consumption, the Wh/mile reading. If you keep that down around 330 or less (a few excursions down to 250 or so, will help) you will get roughly the rated miles. The IC display has an option for "energy," which always shows your current consumption, based on the graph setting set in the big screen version. I usually run w 15 miles set.

I would not recommend a factory reset. It probably will not make any difference, and it is a real pain setting your car up again. A reset wipes out everything except the odometer.

Reactions: righton
I think I noticed a similar situation as well after enabling range mode for the first time.

...while driving.

I would be really surprised if that still applied during charging. Have you confirmed that still happens, or are you guessing/assuming?
It is in the owners manual

"Range Mode: If on, Model X conserves energy by automatically limiting the amount of power that the climate control system uses to maintain the temperature of the cabin area and limits the amount of energy being used to heat or cool the Battery."

The battery needs to be warm to properly charge. It may seem counterintuitive, but in cold weather you need a warm battery for a speedy supercharge session.

It is in the owners manual
I am reading what you are citing from the manual, but I don't think it says at all what you think it does.

"Range Mode: If on, Model X conserves energy by automatically limiting the amount of power that the climate control system uses to maintain the temperature of the cabin area and limits the amount of energy being used to heat or cool the Battery."
See how it says "conserves energy by..."? This is a passage where I think the context helps to have comprehension of what is meant there in what is written. There would be NO REASON to "conserve energy" while actually charging. So I think it was so strongly implied that they did not need to explicitly say it that it meant only while driving.

The battery needs to be warm to properly charge. It may seem counterintuitive, but in cold weather you need a warm battery for a speedy supercharge session.
Well of course! I am immensely aware of that, and it proves exactly my point. While driving, you could use range mode to not use up excessive energy for getting the battery into an optimum temperature for maximum performance in order to save that extra energy for extra driving range. But while charging, there would be no use for that AT ALL. So I think it is totally obvious that they made the car to not need to follow those range mode temperature conditioning restrictions during charging, because there is no need to save energy or preserve range during that. So I am fairly certain that the car does heat the battery pack as needed for better charging, regardless of whether the "Range Mode" setting is on or off.

Last edited: