Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 x75 loses 8 miles over 16 hours parked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so i charge to 80% which is 209 miles as my app tells me. this is overnight finishes around 10pm.
next day i work from home and around 2pm i get message on app that charging has begun at 201 miles.

i lost 8 miles overnight 16 hours plugged in?

I just had my X parked for 8 days at the airport without a plug at -5C average temp. The car lost 15% of charge during that time and nothing after day 5 (remained at 54%). Always connected on, no energy savings enabled.

so i charge to 80% which is 209 miles as my app tells me. this is overnight finishes around 10pm.
next day i work from home and around 2pm i get message on app that charging has begun at 201 miles.

It's not designed to constantly charge. Once charged to the limit it will wait it drops a few percent and then it will charge back up. Unless you have it set to charge at a certain time say 10pm. Then it will start charging again at 10pm the next day.

On vacation for a week, left the car in the same garaged spot I have parked in for the 18 months I've owned my MX 90D-not plugged in. With garage temps in the 45-55 range, car had lost about 90 miles of charge in 8 days, compared with 45 miles lost for the same vacation period last year. Driving 30 miles consumes 70-90 miles of charge-big change from last winter. Service gave me all the 'best practices' tips, said there is nothing wrong with the battery. I suspect engineering has modified software in some way, whether to keep battery warmer or for some other reason, that is causing a drain that did not exist before.

Those drive numbers represent 33 - 43% efficiency. If you look at TeslaFi's histogram of efficiencies you'll see that the scale starts at 40% meaning that only a percent or two or X's are showing efficiencies this low. Clearly something is wrong here. How do the numbers look now that the week's hiatus is in the past?

you mean 90% for 209 miles (X75)?

And I too loose about 3kwh per day on vampire drain even with all options off...used be much less a year ago....
in the STAT app they should a large portion of owners are getting 5-10 miles per day of vampire drain

They are reading in the mid to high 500's over 5 mile intervals, sometimes into 600's.
The fact of the matter is that the "mileage" you see depends on a whole bunch of factors which have been enumerated here many times. In general, aggressive city driving (short trips) in cold weather is going to use more energy than timid suburban/rural (longer trips) driving in warm conditions but individual trip usage can be all over the map depending on, for example, head winds. I offer as an example, and only as an example, the following scatter plot for my drives (about 80) since I have had the car (December 18).
Untitled 4.jpeg

The axis closest to the observer is the duration of the trip and the axis perpendicular to that is the temperature axis (30 towards the front and going up to 70 at the corner farthest from the eye. The bottom line from the picture is what I said above in words. Short, cold trips, in general use more energy per mile than longer warm trips but the plot certainly shows exceptions to this rule of thumb.

The only way to really appreciate what is going on is to use some scheme for data collection. I have mentioned TeslaFi before and continue to recommend it but there are other programs out there that do essentially the same thing.

As a matter of possible interest, an analysis of my 80 drives shows that watt hours per mile change by approximately 1.2 Wh/mi/ °F. Thus at 30 °F I find I'm using, on average, 40*1.2 = 48 Wh/mi more juice than at 70. That's appreciable. YMMV. This figure depends not only on the physics (denser air at colder temperature and weather) over which the driver has no control but also on the driver's battery management technique, his driving technique, how he uses the HVAC system etc.

Last edited: