Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.12.1.2 - Car failed to lock during walkaway + odd screen behavior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

GolanB

Supporting Member
Sep 22, 2018
NYC
The first time this happened to me that I can think of - Been using a software key on my mobile device and it has been reliable for both locking and unlocking the vehicle. Today, I parked on the street, enabled sentry mode, and walked away. I got a call about 40 minutes later from my son who asked me if I knew the car was unlocked - he must have checked in the App and noticed. I had him lock the car remotely.

When I got back to the car, I was not able to unlock on approach. Instead, I needed to go into the App and unlock manually. I noticed during this time that the screen was active as if I was already in the car.

Then some odd behaviors happened - the screen began wiggling around as if a phantom finger was moving it around. Map moved around, and new destinations were suddenly appearing as if I had pinned them. I stopped the car, cleaned it with a cloth to be sure it wasn't anything on the surface, but the issue persisted until I finally got home and rebooted. I have a video of it, but you get the idea ...

Very buggy behavior indeed.