Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.12.1 Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As is typical with Tesla. I’ve stopped getting excited from an autopilot standpoint since a long time now. AP is an aggravating piece of garbage feature that causes more headaches than conveniences.

This whole full self driving pipe dream I will believe it when I see it work as flawlessly in real life as they show in their YouTube videos.

AP on the highway works great. FSD on normal roads is another matter. I believe the system will "get it" eventually as it learns from actual live drivers (both good and bad) - hopefully the AI will choose the safe choices or have a rule base/right of way of picking and choosing maneuvers.

Just wait and see, software development is an ever changing process.

I don’t believe he is correct in his assumption. The only reason AP 2.0 doesn’t have the dashcam feature is processor overhead and bandwidth issue, both of which the FSD hardware upgrade will rectify.

For those saying the cameras are monochrome, they’re actually full color cameras that are currently set to monochrome operation. Part of the FSD upgrade is a firmware patch to enable the cameras color capabilities.

I got the 12.1.1 update last night, and the sentry mode is now active on my X. I’ve plugged in a thumb drive to see if the recordings will be stored locally (I think they will be), and I’ll get back when I have data to share.
So, good news bad news.

Good news is that even AP 2.0 will write to a local thumbdrive if it’s there with the TeslaCam directory on it.

Bad news? The thumbdrive I tried didn’t have a high enough read/write speed so my first trial files were all corrupted. :p
Gonna try a couple different drives, and if none of them work I’ll get a new one and try that.

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
So, good news bad news.

Good news is that even AP 2.0 will write to a local thumbdrive if it’s there with the TeslaCam directory on it.

Bad news? The thumbdrive I tried didn’t have a high enough read/write speed so my first trial files were all corrupted. :p
Gonna try a couple different drives, and if none of them work I’ll get a new one and try that.
I hope this is all true. My files were also messed up. Also hope 2.0 cameras can be ‘tuned’ to see colour! Red, green and yellow lights will be a little more decipherable.

I got 12.1.1 in my AP1 Model S and TACC was scary dangerous coming home today. Thank goodness no one was following too close ... it was misidentifying a tractor trailer two vehicles ahead and it kept trigger a collision warning and slamming on the brakes HARD. From the images it showed on the screen it looked like it thought the truck was two vehicles colliding a bunch of times :/ I let it happen 5 times within 10km or so and then turned it off as traffic got a lot closer. I'm really hoping it was just that particular truck causing these issues because I use AP/TACC every day on my commute and up until now it's been pretty solid. But going to be very careful until the next update either way.

I also had the blank update notes screen and blank browser. Haven't bothered trying to do a reboot yet. It seems like it's just poorly crafted updates or something missing clearing out font cache or something similar after the fact ... aside from the unified climate controls this was pretty much a downgrade for me this time.

I just updated to version 12.1. 1
and drove in rain just before dusk. The auto wipers which were working perfectly on my last version, no longer were working fast enough to keep up with the downpour.

Another problem I found with this update which was supposed to allow you to contol summons with your fob, it didn't work. As instructed, I turned off continuous press in the custom summons menu, but other than my tail lights flashing nothing happened. Anybody get their fob to work? If so, any tips.

I got 12.1.1 in my AP1 Model S yesterday and have noticed that I have a blank release notes page and whenever I press any control on the main screen, I see 4 horizontal lines that are purple and green.

Has anyone else seen this? Does this sound like a bad firmware update?
Just do a soft reboot and you will see the release notes. It's a thing that has happened to many people before. Not a bad update.

Just do a soft reboot and you will see the release notes. It's a thing that has happened to many people before. Not a bad update.

I did a number of soft reboots before posting with no effect. I did a hard reboot today and then a soft reboot and now I have the notes and my weird purple and green lines are gone. The browser still seems really bad. Has anyone noticed browser improvements in an AP1 or older car?

Same. I think they need to roll this one back. It felt dangerous. Specifics were jittery behavior especially at intersections and where other variables like cyclists were present ( Anyone from tesla reading, I have driven everyday on Foothill expressway from Palo Alto to mountain view for years and this was the worst performance I recall) . Some of it may just be the lack of smoothing creating an artificial sense of danger but either way, it's a downgrade.
I got 12.1.1 in my AP1 Model S and TACC was scary dangerous coming home today. Thank goodness no one was following too close ... it was misidentifying a tractor trailer two vehicles ahead and it kept trigger a collision warning and slamming on the brakes HARD. From the images it showed on the screen it looked like it thought the truck was two vehicles colliding a bunch of times :/ I let it happen 5 times within 10km or so and then turned it off as traffic got a lot closer. I'm really hoping it was just that particular truck causing these issues because I use AP/TACC every day on my commute and up until now it's been pretty solid. But going to be very careful until the next update either way.

I also had the blank update notes screen and blank browser. Haven't bothered trying to do a reboot yet. It seems like it's just poorly crafted updates or something missing clearing out font cache or something similar after the fact ... aside from the unified climate controls this was pretty much a downgrade for me this time.

I was on 2019.8.5 and today I've got 2019.8.6.2!
Go figure why... I had no idea this version even existed. Never seen any mentions of it before. Release notes are the same as in 8.5.
The car is on wifi every night...
This just kind of happened to me (in Switzerland). I was on 2018.8.4 yesterday and the SC pushed an update to my car. To my surprise, I got 2019.8.6.2, both very rare firmware versions (only 0.3% of the teslafi population has 2019.8.6.2).

I did notice that our cars were built very close in time. I received mine here in Europe by the end of June 2018. Is there something different about our cars?

This just kind of happened to me (in Switzerland). I was on 2018.8.4 yesterday and the SC pushed an update to my car. To my surprise, I got 2019.8.6.2, both very rare firmware versions (only 0.3% of the teslafi population has 2019.8.6.2).

I did notice that our cars were built very close in time. I received mine here in Europe by the end of June 2018. Is there something different about our cars?
A friend with a new Model 3 was just upgraded to 2019.8.6 instead for 2018.12.1.1 today. Perhaps they are running 8.6 and 12.1.1 in parallel for some A/B comparisons.

Quite a few 8.6 updates even today.

yHlXtb0.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: arubinst