Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.12.1.1 Supercharger Throttling?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a 100+ page thread on throttling, and yes, 75s are included (at least some), not just 90s. I do a lot of long-distance traveling which equates to substantial supercharger usage, and the local service center has verified that my car was throttled. I'm wondering if anyone who has been throttled and received the most recent update noticed any increased charging speeds.

Why would a car that was forced to reduce its charging rate due to excessive Supercharging suddenly get a higher rate because everybody else's rate increased? Makes no sense to me. It was reduced because of a special circumstances to a particular level based on data on battery degradation due to that special circumstance, which hasn't changed.

Why would a car that was forced to reduce its charging rate due to excessive Supercharging suddenly get a higher rate because everybody else's rate increased? Makes no sense to me. It was reduced because of a special circumstances to a particular level based on data on battery degradation due to that special circumstance, which hasn't changed.

If faster charging rates don't hurt the batteries as initially thought, why wouldn't this also apply to throttled vehicles? I don't know the answer--that's the point of the question. I'm just curious about the answer and won't have a chance to test the charge rate on my car at a Supercharger until a trip on Sunday.

If faster charging rates don't hurt the batteries as initially thought, why wouldn't this also apply to throttled vehicles? I don't know the answer--that's the point of the question. I'm just curious about the answer and won't have a chance to test the charge rate on my car at a Supercharger until a trip on Sunday.
I think Supercharging excessively hurts certain batteries. Once it is determined that it is an issue for a particular car, I don't see the logic in increasing the rate simply because other batteries that are not affected by excessive Supercharging are getting rates increased.

I hope you do get your rate increased, I guess, if that is your desire. Hopefully you have adequate data on your previous throttling such that you can accurately assess any changes. Has someone specifically told you that your car is throttled, or is this from your own observation? What is your max charge rate? How much did you Supercharge to warrant throttling?

I think Supercharging excessively hurts certain batteries. Once it is determined that it is an issue for a particular car, I don't see the logic in increasing the rate simply because other batteries that are not affected by excessive Supercharging are getting rates increased.

I hope you do get your rate increased, I guess, if that is your desire. Hopefully you have adequate data on your previous throttling such that you can accurately assess any changes. Has someone specifically told you that your car is throttled, or is this from your own observation? What is your max charge rate? How much did you Supercharge to warrant throttling?

The service center has verified my car is throttled. Before that happened, the maximum charge rate would be 96-97 kW. Now it tops out at 82-83kW, so there is a significant difference. I don't track charging stats, but I'd say roughly half of my charging is at Superchargers. I do a lot of day trips of several hundred miles to visit clients around the state along with 2-3 trips a year to Florida, so that's just an educated guess. The car has roughly 63,000 miles on it in about 2 1/2 years of ownership.

When I purchased my car in March 2018 I was able to achieve up to 94kW max.
Tesla began throttling my rate down to 70-71kW max and even slower at the supercharger closest to my home. (Use regularly as I have unlimited supercharging)

As of 2 days ago, I have been able to achieve up to 86kW which is a major improvement and had anyone purchased the car in the past 6 months, they would be jumping with joy for the 25% faster charging rate. However in my opinion, I am just back to square one with what I had when I purchased the car.

I am looking forward to see if they will extend the 125kW speeds to us older vehicles as that would be a jump in the future for me.

Side note, my ability to have slower or faster charging speeds did not correlate with any software update. I believe this is decided by the supercharger network and not on the vehicle per say...

The service center has verified my car is throttled. Before that happened, the maximum charge rate would be 96-97 kW. Now it tops out at 82-83kW, so there is a significant difference. I don't track charging stats, but I'd say roughly half of my charging is at Superchargers. I do a lot of day trips of several hundred miles to visit clients around the state along with 2-3 trips a year to Florida, so that's just an educated guess. The car has roughly 63,000 miles on it in about 2 1/2 years of ownership.
If they're throttling you, thanks for defining what you're atalking about, because of some issue with the battery why aren't you clamoring for a new/replacement battery from Tesla since it's still under warranty and obviosuly something's wrong with it? Thta sucks that you can only charge at 82kW and have to spend more time charging than neccesary. If they're throttling you for using a SC too much, bad on them that's what they are for.

Dzm

If they're throttling you, thanks for defining what you're atalking about, because of some issue with the battery why aren't you clamoring for a new/replacement battery from Tesla since it's still under warranty and obviosuly something's wrong with it? Thta sucks that you can only charge at 82kW and have to spend more time charging than neccesary. If they're throttling you for using a SC too much, bad on them that's what they are for.

Dzm

That's exactly what they're doing claiming "excessive" supercharging damages the batteries. I'm far from an expert and really don't know if it does or not but I've read from a lot of extremely heavy supercharger users on the forums that their degradation is right in line with others who don't supercharge regularly. Tesla may be susceptible to a class-action on this issue because they didn't disclose they could lower the advertised charge due to "excessive" supercharger usage. I definitely don't want to go that route and would be happy to simply have my charge rate restored.

I believe throttling happens when owners charge excessively at over 90%. Don't believe that just regular frequent supercharging will trigger it.

I was on a road trip, and charging to 100% several times in succession. Got a warning that this was not good for the battery, and could result in throttling. I was charging to 100% because I was eating meals on the trips, and figured I would just top off instead of running in the middle of the battery capacity as is prudent and more efficient.

I not longer charge over 90% and all is well with the World...

• Disagree
Reactions: ucmndd and technoz
I believe throttling happens when owners charge excessively at over 90%. Don't believe that just regular frequent supercharging will trigger it.

I was on a road trip, and charging to 100% several times in succession. Got a warning that this was not good for the battery, and could result in throttling. I was charging to 100% because I was eating meals on the trips, and figured I would just top off instead of running in the middle of the battery capacity as is prudent and more efficient.

I not longer charge over 90% and all is well with the World...

Tesla hasn't disclosed what causes a battery to be throttled but it is believed to be triggered at some level of kW added through high speed charging (not just supercharging but also CHAdeMO charging) on certain batteries (the 90s and the 75s).

Also occasionally charging to 100% is OK and actually is good as it balances the battery, but you should drive immediately afterward to get it back down to 90% or less. From what I've read, the damage occurs when the battery is left sitting at 100%.

Last edited:
Dublin - I have an S90D with the V3 pack. I supercharge often but at 33,000 miles (about 40% supercharged) I’ve not been subject to throttling. However after the 2019.12.1.1 update I supercharged and I noticed my max charging went up to nearly 120kw while at 30%soc. Typically my car would max at ~102 kw. The whole charging session stayed higher than it had been. The soc + kw was consistently at 150 and then the charge rate dropped off fairly quickly after 50% soc was reached

• Informative
Reactions: Dublin 'Eer