Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.12 - Updated browser, software on demand, new games and more

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There was a guy on reddit who plaster a video of his car taking roundabouts on 2019.8.5, I think. He said it was about 70% successful at going through the roundabout to the first exit instead of freaking out with the red hands alert and heading to hit one of the curbs like it did in previous versions.

• Informative
Reactions: OPRCE
There was a guy on reddit who plaster a video of his car taking roundabouts on 2019.8.5, I think. He said it was about 70% successful at going through the roundabout to the first exit instead of freaking out with the red hands alert and heading to hit one of the curbs like it did in previous versions.

While is is progress 70% success rate is way too low for me to even attempt this (if I had FSD or EAD).

I got 2019.12 and saw this message. Don't think I have seen this before, unfortunately, pressing on it does nothing, goes away on its own as soon as you put in gear.

20190407_232050831_iOS.jpg

That's a huge improvement over the old browser. From Musk's tweet it sounds like they're blocking streaming over LTE though; I don't care about movies, I just want to be able to have a UI for Apple Music or Spotify. The browser would probably still be too dangerous to use while driving compared to the native Slacker UI. Eventually the exclusive deal with Slacker has to end, right...?
It will end when Slacker ends, for sure.

I'd be shocked if the browser ever allows any media streaming other than when on Wifi

Teslas paying for that bandwidth.
Just like data allowances, speed allowances will become worth less over time with upcoming infrastructure developments. Especially considering when AT&T 5G (utter crap terminology for it) and actual 5G comes out. Speculation is 1 m/s latency and will allow connectivity and networking speeds capable of controlling these cars input by input remotely. Going to be literally next level. Music and Video streaming will become as strenuous on networks as HTML.

This all requires new tech on/in our cars, but regardless, our load on AT&T's network will be a joke compared to now

Just like data allowances, speed allowances will become worth less over time with upcoming infrastructure developments. Especially considering when AT&T 5G (utter crap terminology for it) and actual 5G comes out. Speculation is 1 m/s latency and will allow connectivity and networking speeds capable of controlling these cars input by input remotely. Going to be literally next level. Music and Video streaming will become as strenuous on networks as HTML.

This all requires new tech on/in our cars, but regardless, our load on AT&T's network will be a joke compared to now

Which has literally nothing to do with what I said.

Tesla doesn't care about your data use because of "strain"

They care about it because it costs them money.

Streaming music at 128kb/sec doesn't "strain" the existing LTE network- at all- but Tesla still locked the Slacker client to 64 kb/s because it's cheaper for Tesla

Same reason they are working to not supply most non-critical updates via LTE anymore, Wifi only.

Making the network faster won't change that (and as you point out- it's not like the car has 5G modems in it anyway)

upload_2019-4-8_10-45-32.png

I wonder if they included the "Tesla" and "QtCarBrowser" in the user agent to be backwards compatible with any apps specifically written for the in-car browser? Because surely the new Chromium browser did away with the old QtCarBrowser browser.

I suppose they could have embedded Chromium in a QT wrapper (are they still using QT?), but I find that really hard to believe.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Which has literally nothing to do with what I said.

Tesla doesn't care about your data use because of "strain"

They care about it because it costs them money.

Streaming music at 128kb/sec doesn't "strain" the existing LTE network- at all- but Tesla still locked the Slacker client to 64 kb/s because it's cheaper for Tesla

Same reason they are working to not supply most non-critical updates via LTE anymore, Wifi only.

Making the network faster won't change that (and as you point out- it's not like the car has 5G modems in it anyway)
Okay calm down. Think about why our browser max DL speed is 3-6mbps. They signed a contract with AT&T (which cost Tesla money) and there's outrageous throttling on these cars. Soon there will be no reason to throttle them.

Okay calm down. Think about why our browser max DL speed is 3-6mbps. They signed a contract with AT&T (which cost Tesla money) and there's outrageous throttling on these cars. Soon there will be no reason to throttle them.

yeah, you're still not making any sense.

3mbps is vastly higher than 64 kb/sec.

yet they still throttle music streaming to 64 kb/sec.

Why?

because they're paying for every byte of data over cellular.

Speed isn't the issue. At all. In any way.

Total amount of data moved via AT&T is.

A faster network would make that issue worse