Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.20.4.1 - Beach Buggy Racing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did a bit more research and it does sound like the system is mechanically linked from steering wheel to pavement but that the steering wheel is "unlocked" or sufficiently limited during game play so as not to do any damage. I'll have to test it out myself when I get home "
Electrek’s Take
My only problem with the whole thing is that the video seems to show the wheels turning when using the steering wheel as a controller in the game.

That seems completely unnecessary to me and it could cause some wear. Maybe they made this just for dramatic effect for the commercial?

Update: A source has confirmed that Tesla indeed exaggerated the wheel movements for the video. Tesla told Electrek that they have tuned the game for minimal steering wheel movement. Also, you will be able to use the touchscreen or game controller instead of the wheel."
UPDATE: I tested this with my car last night and it is absolutely as bad as Twiglett and others have stated, I didn't see any reduction in wheel movement and you will for sure wear flat spots into your tires playing this with the steering wheel as well as cause unnecessary wear and tear on the steering assembly. I apologize for my initial post, I didn't think Tesla would be that stupid.

UPDATE: I tested this with my car last night and it is absolutely as bad as Twiglett and others have stated, I didn't see any reduction in wheel movement and you will for sure wear flat spots into your tires playing this with the steering wheel as well as cause unnecessary wear and tear on the steering assembly. I apologize for my initial post, I didn't think Tesla would be that stupid.

Sure, if you play the game for a hundred hours a week.

Reactions: bd7349

If you play in a poured concrete garage you’ll have no trouble.

Downloaded 20.4.2 last night. Went out to do the usual reboot and decided to try out Beach Buggy. NEVER AGAIN! Playing the game made me nauseated. Of course it may be due to the fact that I kept driving into the surf and hit all of the trees along the road.

Back to Asteroids for me!

• Funny
Reactions: SMAlset
Downloaded 20.4.2 last night. Went out to do the usual reboot and decided to try out Beach Buggy. NEVER AGAIN! Playing the game made me nauseated. Of course it may be due to the fact that I kept driving into the surf and hit all of the trees along the road.

Back to Asteroids for me!

Yeah me too. Instant vertigo. I'm really not a video-game player anyway.

i found out this morning, we can go to the game settings and ADJUST the "Steering Sensitivity" to MAX = less steering movement.

Reactions: hydro 481
I swear people act as if playing this game periodically will MASSIVELY kill tires. For all you people that have FSD and or EAP using self park is no better! If you do that. Most of time during self park the car moves the steering wheel to full lock before the car starts to move or while the car hardly moving so again this game IS NOT going trash your tires overnight. Again everyone is totally entitled to their opinion, but I think it’s being a little DRASTIC saying never again will play it because I don’t want my tires to wear. It would take hundreds of hours and aggressive turning while standing still to do that kinda damage. Hell people who store their cars over winter or while deployed overseas, or just Not moving the car for months probably do more damage in the case of “flat spotting” than this game will ever do.

What a fun game and I'm not a gamer though, but I thought it had a lot of appeal. Loved the Tesla cars, and the brake lights on them worked too. We were waiting at a supercharger location for our turn at a car wash and spent the wait playing. My husband commented after wiping out on trees, ships, walls, etc. that the Teslas are a safe car. :D We walked away unhurt every time and got back on the road. Best I managed was to place second. Way better than I thought, although that was on Chill. Can't image a faster paced car. Didn't use the actual wheel but the finger mode.