Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.20.4.1 - Beach Buggy Racing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, in my scenario, had ELDA caused me to run over a landscaper, do you think the police would have been pro-ELDA, or might I have faced charges?

I'm anti-something-that-could-kill-someone-and-land-me-in-jail, unless Tesla steps up and says they are liable for any incidents caused by it....which they won't, because they haven't even gotten that far with EAP/FSD yet.

I am fully Team Let Us Disable It.

Not even sure what was disagreed with on that post.

Are you a MA District Attorney? Are you telling me I wouldn't have have charges if ELDA killed someone?

Otherwise, it just comes off as trolling.

Not even sure what was disagreed with on that post.

Are you a MA District Attorney? Are you telling me I wouldn't have have charges if ELDA killed someone?

Otherwise, it just comes off as trolling.

You're being sensational. As long as you keep your hands on the wheel, the servos never pull hard enough to steer against. It's surprising, yes, but talking about hypothetically killing someone is absolutely unnecessary. You're in control of your own car, and it's misleading to suggest otherwise.

You're being sensational. As long as you keep your hands on the wheel, the servos never pull hard enough to steer against. It's surprising, yes, but talking about hypothetically killing someone is absolutely unnecessary. You're in control of your own car, and it's misleading to suggest otherwise.

For the FIRST time the feature goes off on you, no...sorry, the servos pulled quite hard, because in that maneuver, I was an entire width of my car over the line.

But hey, you know, cuz you were there, right? I sent in the bug report, so let's let Tesla figure it out, instead of people on the forums.

I have found that this update with the new application launcher removed ability to swipe up to bring up last used application. Prior to this, if I opened energy usage app, next time I simply swipe up from the launcher arrow to bring it up again as a shortcut. This is not working anymore....
ok, maybe i do not want this update.. i'll just go to Tesla stores at play with showroom cars instead.

So it fixed one major issue for me (or so it appears). My car goes into a deep sleep at work, and I'm in a dead coverage area. When I get back to a coverage area it takes like 15-20 minutes for internet radio and maps to start working (One might already be to their destination my then, and I miss navigated my way to visit family that was in town for lunch the other day because the navigation would not work since it would not re-connect). Today it came back on right away.

May be trivial to most people, but this was a daily problem for me (and starting to get real frustrating when I wasn't just driving home from work). Of course, only one day of testing and now I already have another update. (Guessing it will be 20.4.2)

Im hardware 2.5

Reactions: willow_hiller
Your concerns are warranted, but not for the tires - the stress is really on the suspension joints. It's never good on a car's steering mechanisms to turn the steering wheel while the car is not rolling. Kids do this all the time in golf carts, and soon the steering wheel has 6 inches of "loose play" due to wear in the tie rod ends, etc. Granted, a golf cart is built nowhere near the level of a car, but the reasoning is the same. It WILL wear on your steering components if the steering wheel is constantly turned while the car is not moving. Just turn the steering wheel one day while the car is motionless, and then roll forward slightly while still turning the steering wheel - the amount of pressure you need to exert is greatly reduced when the car starts barely moving. All of pressure you feel before the car moves is being delivered to the steering components.

Hopefully Tesla will release a game steering wheel that mounts to the real steering wheel. Though a little more cumbersome, it would definitely be much better for the car.
Why would any of these things be stressed if the system is fly by wire, the car's tires are not moving nor are any of the steering mechanisms past the steering wheel when playing the game.

Key word being IF
However, Tesla does not use fly by wire and the steering wheel is directly connected.
I did a bit more research and it does sound like the system is mechanically linked from steering wheel to pavement but that the steering wheel is "unlocked" or sufficiently limited during game play so as not to do any damage. I'll have to test it out myself when I get home "
Electrek’s Take
My only problem with the whole thing is that the video seems to show the wheels turning when using the steering wheel as a controller in the game.

That seems completely unnecessary to me and it could cause some wear. Maybe they made this just for dramatic effect for the commercial?

Update: A source has confirmed that Tesla indeed exaggerated the wheel movements for the video. Tesla told Electrek that they have tuned the game for minimal steering wheel movement. Also, you will be able to use the touchscreen or game controller instead of the wheel."

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller