Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fwiw up above people we're asking if the steering wheel is drive by wire. It is, that steering wheel will spin and spin and spin as it's not physically connected to anything. So it shouldn't be too much of an ask to turn that game into just using the steering wheel and not the tires.

Also, I'll echo the priority push. Even got it up here in Alaska early last night. 4.2 P3D+.

YEAR.WEEK.BUILD.VERSION

Week is a major update, most likely new feature. Build update is a minor update. Version is just a bug fix.

Exactly the point is to cover the bug fix update thread with the main one. 20.4.X are bug fixes so 2019.20.X would be sufficient.
I agree. I misinterpreted what you meant. I thought you meant at the 2019.xx level not 2019.20.x. We’re saying the same thing. A single thread for 2019.20.4 should be adequate to discuss relevant changes.

Firmware updates are pushed over LTE all the time. Map updates require WIFI to download. This is confirmed by an engineer that works for tesla that happens to be a friend of mine. So importance can not be judged by this fact.

Have you checked with your friend recently? Around 2019.16 or so they announced that going forward WiFi would be required for anything other than "critical" updates (which would be pushed over LTE).

• Informative
Reactions: A2be
Fwiw up above people we're asking if the steering wheel is drive by wire. It is, that steering wheel will spin and spin and spin as it's not physically connected to anything. So it shouldn't be too much of an ask to turn that game into just using the steering wheel and not the tires.

Also, I'll echo the priority push. Even got it up here in Alaska early last night. 4.2 P3D+.

Model 3 Steering.JPG

Have you checked with your friend recently? Around 2019.16 or so they announced that going forward WiFi would be required for anything other than "critical" updates (which would be pushed over LTE).
Checked with him this morning. They are switching over the VPN system all together and until that takes effect they are still running on old servers and yes, we still get firmware over LTE on a regular basis. The reason people think that the updates were over wifi is because they push updates at night time, when most likely people are at home, and wake up in the morning so see an update staged. They all assume it happen over wifi, which it very well might if the car is connected to wifi, but it is not a requirement. We were also promised local streets driving assist by end of year. that is not happening. the only thing that will happen is red light recognition and emergency stopping to avoid collision because of a traffic light and stop sign.

My prospective as i am trying to express it is that we can NOT take what tesla says at face value. They rarely deliver on their promises, they rarely deliver on their goals, they almost never deliver on the expectation. Still, i love all my 3 teslas but i will never listen to what tesla claims until i see it happen. In light of this, i ignore what they claim and look at what is really happening and what friends that work inside telsa let slip when im drinking with them. It is a more realistic piece of information. Just my opinion.

The reason people think that the updates were over wifi is because they push updates at night time, when most likely people are at home, and wake up in the morning so see an update staged.

The reason people think that updates are typically done through Wi-Fi has to do with Tesla's Support/FAQs:

Software Updates

Our cars regularly receive over-the-air software updates that add new features and enhance existing ones over Wi-Fi.

When updates become available, you’ll receive a notification on your center touchscreen display, with the option to install the update immediately or schedule for later. To ensure the fastest and most reliable delivery of software updates, connect your car to Wi-Fi.

Frequently Asked Questions - Connectivity

What are the new connectivity options?
  • Standard Connectivity offers basic maps & navigation, music & media over Bluetooth® and software updates over Wi-Fi. Note: Important safety updates will continue to be available over the car’s cellular connection.
  • Premium Connectivity adds satellite-view maps with live traffic visualization, in-car streaming music & media, an internet browser (for Model S and Model X) and over-the-air software updates via Wi-Fi and cellular.

Their language is ambiguous but they are clearly pushing people to update by Wi-Fi. Also, people who hacked the updates saw different dates for when an update would push via Wi-Fi vs cellular.

The reason people think that the updates were over wifi is because they push updates at night time, when most likely people are at home, and wake up in the morning so see an update staged. They all assume it happen over wifi, which it very well might if the car is connected to wifi, but it is not a requirement.

Uh no. The reason people think updates require wifi is because A) Tesla has said many times that wifi is strongly encouraged for updates and then B) after 2019.16, the car literally tells you that you must connect to wifi to get the update.

Reactions: disapr
I got 3 push notification from the Tesla app on my phone, every 4 hours, that a new software update is available:

11:30pm
3:30am
7:30am

Tesla really wants me to install this update apparently. Currently, my car is on 2019.20.4.1 and has been since Sunday morning.
The only thing I noticed that was worse than prior updates was phantom braking, mostly under overpasses but not always.

I got 3 push notification from the Tesla app on my phone, every 4 hours, that a new software update is available:

11:30pm
3:30am
7:30am

Tesla really wants me to install this update apparently. Currently, my car is on 2019.20.4.1 and has been since Sunday morning.
The only thing I noticed that was worse than prior updates was phantom braking, mostly under overpasses but not always.

So why are you waiting ?

• Funny
Reactions: Scott7 and elf9
Uh no. The reason people think updates require wifi is because A) Tesla has said many times that wifi is strongly encouraged for updates and then B) after 2019.16, the car literally tells you that you must connect to wifi to get the update.

At first I thought you were responding to my post (#50) and was wondering how can you start with "Uh, no" and then give basically the same reason I said.

Interesting about "B," I was not aware of that (my car is always connected to Wi-Fi at home). If 40.2 did update via cellular, there must have been some bad vulnerability or safety issue with one of the recent updates. Wondering if it was ELDA related.

It's pretty annoying being left behind if your car doesn't have access to WiFi :( condo parking underground, no WiFi at work.

Sure there are other (inconvenient) options like parking in front of a Starbucks or Service Center. But when I bought the cart it was OTA updates - WiFi wasn't even enabled.

I'm happy they added WiFi, definitely helps a lot of other people - but I wish I didn't have to wait MONTHS to get an update, especially with promises of Early Access...

The reason people think that updates are typically done through Wi-Fi has to do with Tesla's Support/FAQs:

Software Updates

Our cars regularly receive over-the-air software updates that add new features and enhance existing ones over Wi-Fi.

When updates become available, you’ll receive a notification on your center touchscreen display, with the option to install the update immediately or schedule for later. To ensure the fastest and most reliable delivery of software updates, connect your car to Wi-Fi.

Frequently Asked Questions - Connectivity

What are the new connectivity options?
  • Standard Connectivity offers basic maps & navigation, music & media over Bluetooth® and software updates over Wi-Fi. Note: Important safety updates will continue to be available over the car’s cellular connection.
  • Premium Connectivity adds satellite-view maps with live traffic visualization, in-car streaming music & media, an internet browser (for Model S and Model X) and over-the-air software updates via Wi-Fi and cellular.

Their language is ambiguous but they are clearly pushing people to update by Wi-Fi. Also, people who hacked the updates saw different dates for when an update would push via Wi-Fi vs cellular.
you are absolutely right. accept for, standar connectivity refers to the model 3s that did not have a celular connection and thus require wifi to download anything at all, and premium connectivity is what is standard in almost all model s and x. and as you see its not over wifi only, but over wifi and celular. anyway. its a mute point regardless. i only voiced what info i have from someone that actually works for tesla. if he lied to me, i believe a lie. they might be encouraging people to connect to wifi, true. i have never had anything require wifi to download other than map updates. even with the latest updates. my car is rarely on wifi and i get updates almost weekly since i am signed up for advanced releases and have fsd in all my cars.

i apologize for antagonizing you. i am wrong and i was being hard headed. this is not even an important point. the update is there for those who want it, if tesla was as transparent as many of us would like them to be they would provide us with more details on what it is this update does. they dont, and right now i dont feel like sshing into my cars to dd the partitions and see what is different from previous release to now and then go through what files are different to figure out what it really does. it might as well be only the game folder that gets modified. or it might be the kernel itself that gets updated. i dont know, and at this point i dont care or have the time to go through it. so i retract my opininon in the matter.

again, i apologize for any miss information i might have provided.

It's pretty annoying being left behind if your car doesn't have access to WiFi :( condo parking underground, no WiFi at work.

Sure there are other (inconvenient) options like parking in front of a Starbucks or Service Center. But when I bought the cart it was OTA updates - WiFi wasn't even enabled.

I'm happy they added WiFi, definitely helps a lot of other people - but I wish I didn't have to wait MONTHS to get an update, especially with promises of Early Access...

Go park within wifi range of a Service Center, even if they're closed. All Teslas are hard-coded to automatically login to that network if you're in range.

--Source, me....the Dedham, MA Service Center/Delivery Center/Supercharger is a good spot to go charge up, and if you're in one of the closer stalls to the building, pull updates at the same time.

you are absolutely right. accept for, standar connectivity refers to the model 3s that did not have a celular connection and thus require wifi to download anything at all, and premium connectivity is what is standard in almost all model s and x. and as you see its not over wifi only, but over wifi and celular. anyway. its a mute point regardless. i only voiced what info i have from someone that actually works for tesla. if he lied to me, i believe a lie. they might be encouraging people to connect to wifi, true. i have never had anything require wifi to download other than map updates. even with the latest updates. my car is rarely on wifi and i get updates almost weekly since i am signed up for advanced releases and have fsd in all my cars.

i apologize for antagonizing you. i am wrong and i was being hard headed. this is not even an important point. the update is there for those who want it, if tesla was as transparent as many of us would like them to be they would provide us with more details on what it is this update does. they dont, and right now i dont feel like sshing into my cars to dd the partitions and see what is different from previous release to now and then go through what files are different to figure out what it really does. it might as well be only the game folder that gets modified. or it might be the kernel itself that gets updated. i dont know, and at this point i dont care or have the time to go through it. so i retract my opininon in the matter.

again, i apologize for any miss information i might have provided.

ALL Teslas have cellular connection. The premium connectivity piece is just for maps, traffic, streaming music. The connection is always available to Tesla to gather data from your car, and Tesla will always use that to push safety-critical updates to you.