Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ALL Teslas have cellular connection. The premium connectivity piece is just for maps, traffic, streaming music. The connection is always available to Tesla to gather data from your car, and Tesla will always use that to push safety-critical updates to you.
you are right. i miss worded that. that was back in the day were there was a package for that type of connectivity. now premium connectivity is the standard as far as i know. correct me if im worng.

my friend owns 1 model 3 that has celular but no wifi module at all. i dont know how to the model 3 with no wifi at all will get updates.

but you are right, i miss worded what i wanted to say.

• Disagree
Reactions: ModelNforNerd
you are right. i miss worded that. that was back in the day were there was a package for that type of connectivity. now premium connectivity is the standard as far as i know. correct me if im worng.

my friend owns 1 model 3 that has celular but no wifi module at all. i dont know how to the model 3 with no wifi at all will get updates.

but you are right, i miss worded what i wanted to say.

Your friend may want to bring his car in for service. I don't think any Model 3's are available WITHOUT a wifi module.

Data point....

Got notification for upgrade to 2019.20.4.2 this morning (currently on 2019.20.4.1) but didn't have time before my morning commute. After a 55 mile drive, I arrived to work with 202 miles of range. I started the update and went inside to work...
90 minutes later, I checked my car status and it said the update had completed. I opened up the app to verify the version (2019.20.4.2) and noticed my range was now at 187 miles! I don't know what would have caused the large drop in a very short 90 minute period. The weather is so mild that I didn't even have the climate control system on during the commute. I don't have cabin overheat enabled at all (90 minutes later the interior temperature was only 90 degrees). I do not enable sentry mode at work. Maybe the update? Recalibrate.? Strange...

Every night, via the wall connector, I charge from around 50% up to 80%, always exactly 251 miles of range in my AWD w. HW3. Charging is automatic, starting at 0200.

Last night, at about 0130, my dogs got me up and I discovered the 20.4.2 update waiting to install. I initiated the update and went back to sleep.

This morning, the car had installed the update and charged itself to 80%, but was showing 255 miles. Interestingly, on my phone's battery display, I could see the 80% white line sitting at 80%, but the green battery had risen slightly above it.

I'm not worried; it's just a data point.

• Informative
Reactions: Jeff Hudson
Every night, via the wall connector, I charge from around 50% up to 80%, always exactly 251 miles of range in my AWD w. HW3. Charging is automatic, starting at 0200.

Last night, at about 0130, my dogs got me up and I discovered the 20.4.2 update waiting to install. I initiated the update and went back to sleep.

This morning, the car had installed the update and charged itself to 80%, but was showing 255 miles. Interestingly, on my phone's battery display, I could see the 80% white line sitting at 80%, but the green battery had risen slightly above it.

I'm not worried; it's just a data point.
I've been seeing that on that last 3 firmwares....the car occasionally overcharges. I've seen it go as far as an extra 4%. It's been random for me happening about once every week or every other week.

I park in an underground condo parking with no signal.

I drove 25 minutes to work today, and when I put it in park the update showed up.

So it downloaded while I was driving.

This was a small one, but the idea that it needs wifi to update, or it will be way long too download on LTE is not right.

I park in an underground condo parking with no signal.

I drove 25 minutes to work today, and when I put it in park the update showed up.

So it downloaded while I was driving.

This was a small one, but the idea that it needs wifi to update, or it will be way long too download on LTE is not right.

For everyone with Standard Connectivity, only important updates will be pushed over LTE. Frequently Asked Questions - Connectivity

"Will cars with Standard Connectivity still receive over-the-air software updates?
Yes. All cars with Standard Connectivity will continue to receive software updates. Tesla owners will simply need to connect to a Wi-Fi network to receive the updates. Note: Important safety updates will continue to be available over the car’s cellular connection."

For everyone with Standard Connectivity, only important updates will be pushed over LTE. Frequently Asked Questions - Connectivity

"Will cars with Standard Connectivity still receive over-the-air software updates?
Yes. All cars with Standard Connectivity will continue to receive software updates. Tesla owners will simply need to connect to a Wi-Fi network to receive the updates. Note: Important safety updates will continue to be available over the car’s cellular connection."

Ah @Restrected, this is what I was thinking about... Trust me, I know what tesla (and Elon) says and does are two different things...

Do you know what the VPN switchover is... are they going to stop piping everything through Tesla?

The cars with the partial premium interior (SR/SR+) are not entitled to non-critical updates over cellular. Premium interior cars in theory are eligible for cellular updates. In practice it seems that some updates reliably push via cellular and others seems to wait until you are connected to wifi. I believe that Tesla has some control over how long it waits for you to connect to wifi before it pushes out over cellular. I suspect it’s a fairly complex algorithm that will keep us guessing with no specificity as to how decisions are made to push via cellular or wait for wifi.

I waited forever for my first update even though I was connected to wifi every day. Then I asked the service center to push it out to me and received it immediately over LTE. So I know they can control who gets it via cellular and who has to wait.

• Informative
Reactions: Jeff Hudson
Must of been important to push out. I updated to 2019.20.4.1 yesterday and haven't been on WiFi since then and just got the update over LTE.
Similar to you - I'd had 2019.20.4.1 literally for 12 hours before it pushed the .20.4.2 update

Makes me think that there's something important in the .2 updated to fix something in the .1 update. Normally they don't push things out that quickly. I haven't been able to deduce what is different yet.

Reactions: Gabbleratchet7
Similar to you - I'd had 2019.20.4.1 literally for 12 hours before it pushed the .20.4.2 update

Makes me think that there's something important in the .2 updated to fix something in the .1 update. Normally they don't push things out that quickly. I haven't been able to deduce what is different yet.

this right here is why I don't have updates set to 'advanced' :)

Reactions: clostridium
Off Topic:

How do you know the size of each FW?

Google Wi-Fi. The last download I could see hourly so more granular (downloaded at 11:00 pm last night). The other three I estimated based on below (Using TeslaFi to know which days I got updates).

Also good to tell when you get map updates as those are huge (5 GB+).

8AA704C9-FE2D-4849-9027-84157913CD04.png

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
This is not true. I just received the update over LTE.

Yes, because for whatever reason this was a critical bug fix. This is my first update over LTE in a year owning the car.

Content updates (e.g. 2019.20.4.1) are pushed out very delayed fo save Tesla bandwidth. If you are in 2019.12 or 2019.16, they probably wont get 2019.20 for another 2-3 months unless they connect to wifi

Data point....

Got notification for upgrade to 2019.20.4.2 this morning (currently on 2019.20.4.1) but didn't have time before my morning commute. After a 55 mile drive, I arrived to work with 202 miles of range. I started the update and went inside to work...
90 minutes later, I checked my car status and it said the update had completed. I opened up the app to verify the version (2019.20.4.2) and noticed my range was now at 187 miles! I don't know what would have caused the large drop in a very short 90 minute period. The weather is so mild that I didn't even have the climate control system on during the commute. I don't have cabin overheat enabled at all (90 minutes later the interior temperature was only 90 degrees). I do not enable sentry mode at work. Maybe the update? Recalibrate.? Strange...

I thought the same but see if this is what might have happened to you. The app wasn't updated to 2019.20.4.2 yet. When I connected, the car was asleep and had cached the miles from when I last unllocked and drove away. Opening after the update, the cached miles and 4.2.1 showed at the bottom, then updated with the new version and the updated miles left... which were lower. MIne is an older Nexus 6P running android. Works great but is flaky.

Coming from 20.2.1, which I got like a few days ago, all I saw for 20.4.2 was a toolbar update and some games. Clearly it must be considered a "critical fix" because I was not expecting a new update until 24.x (assuming they stick with the monthly build cadence).