Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK I added an invalid data point. I was notified about the updated when I got to work, but checking my wifi logs, I can see that the download came down at 1am in the morning - via my wifi.
Interesting that I didn't get notification until later, but the 250ish Mb was definitely at 1am

Hey guys, for any interested, I found the 'critical bug' that this update fixes. Stumbled upon it quite by accident. A few days ago I pulled my TeslaCam drive out to get some footage off. I completely forgot I removed it, then received the 20.4.1. update. Then I went on a road trip. Before I left I 'confirmed' that DashCam icon was present and car was recording for my trip. When I stopped it even recorded some Sentry mode events. Last night I got the update for 20.4.2. I installed it while at work and upon arrival back to my car, I noticed the DashCam icon was gone. I check my drive and of course it was not present since I removed it and forgot all about it. It was so jarring that I thought maybe somebody broke into the car and removed it. But it's still where I left it at home. So as a computer engineer I've come to the theory that Tesla must have needed storage or something for the new game. My theory is that this change caused TeslaCam to potentially write data into NAND memory internally rather than USB stick or just made it appear to be working when it wasn't. I suspect the former cause Tesla was so unbelievably quick to push out an update over cellular. They are probably worried about wearing out NAND as well as filling the memory with inaccessible video.

Last edited:
yeah... but if they ar easing nand for games are they not worried about wearing out the memory that way?

It's a good question. The short answer is likely no, for whatever use case a game might need (could just be saving high scores, or progress, tiny amount of data not written often). The issue would be with recording video to flash, those are large files that touch a lot of memory. Could also be that they are not using this storage for the game at all but something they did during dev made the space available to TeslaCam.

It's pretty annoying being left behind if your car doesn't have access to WiFi :( condo parking underground, no WiFi at work.

Sure there are other (inconvenient) options like parking in front of a Starbucks or Service Center. But when I bought the cart it was OTA updates - WiFi wasn't even enabled.

I'm happy they added WiFi, definitely helps a lot of other people - but I wish I didn't have to wait MONTHS to get an update, especially with promises of Early Access...

You can always use a phone hotspot to download the update. That's what I did while I was on a roadtrip :D (update appeared within minutes)

Greetings everyone. After installing this update yesterday on my Model 3, the DashCam icon has disappeared. I pulled and reformatted my USB drive three times but still no success. Did a reboot (holding in steering wheel buttons) but still no change.

Does anybody else have other suggestions?

Thanks!

Greetings everyone. After installing this update yesterday on my Model 3, the DashCam icon has disappeared. I pulled and reformatted my USB drive three times but still no success. Did a reboot (holding in steering wheel buttons) but still no change.

Does anybody else have other suggestions?

Thanks!
Did you make a folder called TeslaCam? and you reformatted the drive Fat-32?

If you did the above and it still don’t work, try another drive.

Fred

My car updated yesterday 2 days after the update to 2019.20.4.1.
I got my first ever screen reboot while driving. That was after 2 months of ownership of a dual motor Model 3.
I knew something was up when the speed display was 4 mph when I was doing over 50.
The auto screen reboot must be a new feature to keep things interesting.

A new thread for every update is so unnecessary imo. They should be 2019.20.X because that covers the main update and the rest are most likely bug fixes.

I don't see the harm in greater granularity. It's easier to read several threads in order than it is to dig through one looking for posts that pertain to a specific release.

Which is easiest at any moment of course depends on your purpose. But, taking a page out of database theory it's easier to summarize multiple categories than to try to extract categories from a sum.

• Disagree
Reactions: S100D and RBowen