Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019/20 Orders and Deliveries [closed]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As a new "leasee" of a Model 3, that's the exact experience I had throughout the order process - generic Model S/Powerwall/Referral Code page on website with no products. My mobile app didn't spring to life until I physically got in the car and drove it away from the Service Centre. So all sounds really good signs for you (i.e. it now belonging to lease/finance company, and Tesla should be in contact soon with a delivery date, good luck :))

Hope you don't mind me asking-how soon after you noticed the change of your Tesla account page, did you get contacted about delivery?

And thanks :)

Hi guys. Apologies as I know this has already been discussed but I can seem to find it and there are 300+ pages to look through now.

Just quickly want to confirm that people have not had no issues swapping to an inventory order being a lease vehicle I currently have on order? And that it is fine for me to ring and swap and I don’t need my funder/leaseer to do it? And if not what it the number I need to call?

Have a RN from my leasing company For my custom order but still no vehicle and with likely of long closures still at Fremont and multiple exact cars in the inventory thinking of just getting one while I can.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Hi guys. Apologies as I know this has already been discussed but I can seem to find it and there are 300+ pages to look through now.

Just quickly want to confirm that people have not had no issues swapping to an inventory order being a lease vehicle I currently have on order? And that it is fine for me to ring and swap and I don’t need my funder/leaseer to do it? And if not what it the number I need to call?

Have a RN from my leasing company For my custom order but still no vehicle and with likely of long closures still at Fremont and multiple exact cars in the inventory thinking of just getting one while I can.

I would have thought that the leaser would have to do it rather than you doing it directly with Tesla, as they're the ones buying the car after all.

I ordered my car through NHS Salary Sacrifice, so I ordered through Fleet Management, then they place the order with the acual leaser, which in my case is VWFS.

To cut a long story short, some of the guys on here had suggested reserving a car from inventory and then asking the lease company to transfer the car to them. Tesla are completely cool with that, and it seems most lease companies are too.

I reserved the car that matched my spec and I had an account that showed my car for the last 8 days. Tesla said once the lease company have secured the car (i.e. sent Tesla some money), they'll get a new RN, then the car is ready for delivery. Tesla will then refund the £100 back to you.

Tesla told me that a sign that the car has been secured is when your account changes back to the generic splash page with the Model S, Model X and Powerwall in it, and you get locked out of your app again. That happened to me yesterday, so it. looks like everything is going to plan.

So in short, if you're in a position to reserve a car yourself, and you're sure it'll save you time, then I'd go for it. Worst case scenario is that the Lease company says no, in which case Tesla will still refund you the £100 (I have that first hand).

Only prerequisite is that the car has 0 miles or as near as damn it, and is unregistered.

Reactions: mrkwats
I ordered my car through NHS Salary Sacrifice, so I ordered through Fleet Management, then they place the order with the acual leaser, which in my case is VWFS.

To cut a long story short, some of the guys on here had suggested reserving a car from inventory and then asking the lease company to transfer the car to them. Tesla are completely cool with that, and it seems most lease companies are too.

I reserved the car that matched my spec and I had an account that showed my car for the last 8 days. Tesla said once the lease company have secured the car (i.e. sent Tesla some money), they'll get a new RN, then the car is ready for delivery. Tesla will then refund the £100 back to you.

Tesla told me that a sign that the car has been secured is when your account changes back to the generic splash page with the Model S, Model X and Powerwall in it, and you get locked out of your app again. That happened to me yesterday, so it. looks like everything is going to plan.

So in short, if you're in a position to reserve a car yourself, and you're sure it'll save you time, then I'd go for it. Worst case scenario is that the Lease company says no, in which case Tesla will still refund you the £100 (I have that first hand).

Only prerequisite is that the car has 0 miles or as near as damn it, and is unregistered.

Great thanks for the info both.

yes mine is a salary sacrifice ordeal too. I might send my fleet company an email first just to check. If they are cool I might go ahead.

there are three white sr+ all with “less than 50 miles” at my nearest dealer ( London) so I guess they are all brand new, unregistered.

Thanks again.

Great thanks for the info both.

yes mine is a salary sacrifice ordeal too. I might send my fleet company an email first just to check. If they are cool I might go ahead.

there are three white sr+ all with “less than 50 miles” at my nearest dealer ( London) so I guess they are all brand new, unregistered.

Thanks again.
Don't assume they will just transfer it.

And it's not accurate that Tesla will just give you the £100 back - they will only do that if the lease company accept the RN you've got yourself. (Also, Tesla like to call it non-refundable. Strictly there are some statutory rights with which you could still get that £100 back if things didn't pan out but it's not worth the aggravation - just check with your lease co first).

In my case, Zenith weren't too keen on trying to switch it over as they "had everything set up" on their original order.

Hope you don't mind me asking-how soon after you noticed the change of your Tesla account page, did you get contacted about delivery?

And thanks :)
My case was different, as the order was placed directly by the lease co (who then shared the RN with me so I could converse with and chase Tesla). I never ordered direct and transferred RN to lease co as some have done like yourself. So my web account page has stayed the same since day 1 (beginning of the year). Actually the big tell-tale that things were moving was my app sprung to life (with a Model 3 Product, although with Mobile Services disabled, meaning I had a physical car allocated), and a week later I had the car! As most will say, if you have an RN, simply harass your lease co and also Tesla direct. There's no real reason (unless your car is locked/stuck in AutoXP storage @Southampton, and/or lease co/your employer dragging their feet) why Tesla will not be able to get the car to you within a short timeframe now, as they have settled into COVID ways ways working, and all keyworker orders have pretty much been dealt with by Tesla (and some lease cos). Good luck :)

I have had an order with a lease company (Select Car Leasing) placed in January. Cars of exactly the same spec appear in inventory, and I have no idea why Tesla don't match me to a car.

I have tried to get the lease company to allow me to 'purchase and switch' - they tell me it's Tesla who are stubborn. I'm thinking they just can't be bothered to help tbh, which is strange, as we'd start paying them money then...

I was told by Tesla that the lease company have to agree to the switch, so if I pay the £100 and they won't do it, I'm out of pocket.

So I contacted my fleet managment company. They asked the funder and they said they were more than happy to do this however they are "not looking to put any new vehicles in place until the beginning of June" due to covid.

So I am not sure if this means they will not take my RN until then or they will take it but will delay pickup until June. I am not sure where they pulled June from and why covid affects them sending money but there you go.

I am tempted just place an order and see what happens, In worst case do you guys think Tesla would hold an inventory car reservation until June if my funder wont proceed with anything until June? 4 weeks..

I guess worse case the order is canceled, I loose £100 and I still have a custom order...

Yes the worst case is losing £100.

If you get matched to a car before lease co is willing to sort it out you can just tell Tesla you're not ready for collection/delivery - they will unmatch you (without cancelling your order). But you'll then be waiting for another match which puts you been in the same boat you're in now.

So it's probably only worthwhile when you're definitely ready to take the car *and* lease co prepared to take it on?

why are you going then?, we're supposed to be staying at home....

Don't think I will be going, but it's an awkward situation when you have over £50K of your hard earned money paid out on a car and they have told me they will un-match me from the vehicle if I don't collect as I've already delayed for a week due to family reasons. It could be many weeks or months before lockdown restrictions are removed, if there are no cars in my spec available then I may have to wait until next shipments which could be several months away if the factories are not producing. Apart from the long drive I don't think the collection process will be any more risky than going to Tesco's for the weekly shop.

Don't think I will be going, but it's an awkward situation when you have over £50K of your hard earned money paid out on a car and they have told me they will un-match me from the vehicle if I don't collect as I've already delayed for a week due to family reasons. It could be many weeks or months before lockdown restrictions are removed, if there are no cars in my spec available then I may have to wait until next shipments which could be several months away if the factories are not producing. Apart from the long drive I don't think the collection process will be any more risky than going to Tesco's for the weekly shop.
IMHO - others may disagree - given your situation I’d personally go. It will be a contactless handover, with limited risk as you say. You just need to be comfortable with the risk/small likelihood of being stopped/questioned by the police. In which case you are collecting a car (with a family member giving you a lift there I assume or public transport), taking the car contactless and driving back home without stopping (car has to have enough charge of course which you could prearrange). Is it essential - you could cite the fact you’ve been v concerned with £50k tied up, and you need the car for shopping/work etc. If you don’t get one now there’s a possibility you may well be waiting until year-end. I’m sure there are ways and means of getting your car risk and guilt free. Good luck

Reactions: seadog
@sorrera how did the collection at Edinburgh go? Any issues with the car or collection process? I am planned to collect at the end of the week but still feel a bit anxious as its not exactly essential travel for me to do a 320 miles round trip to collect.
Really straight forward. Turned up, knocked on door (as per sign), Chap asked if I was "sorrera" I said yes. 2 mins later he drives car out, says "there you go let me know if any problems, the keys are on the passenger seats, charge is at 99%" I gave it the full once over, checked for defects, cables etc. All perfect. I drive off, app must have become active sometime on drive home. I wish all previous visits to dealers were so painless.

• Helpful
Reactions: seadog
So I contacted my fleet managment company. They asked the funder and they said they were more than happy to do this however they are "not looking to put any new vehicles in place until the beginning of June" due to covid.

So I am not sure if this means they will not take my RN until then or they will take it but will delay pickup until June. I am not sure where they pulled June from and why covid affects them sending money but there you go.

I am tempted just place an order and see what happens, In worst case do you guys think Tesla would hold an inventory car reservation until June if my funder wont proceed with anything until June? 4 weeks..

I guess worse case the order is canceled, I loose £100 and I still have a custom order...

I asked about "worst-case scenarios", for example, if it turned out the leasing company had already matched me to another car, or if they flat out refused to do the transfer, and Tesla told me that they would refund the £100 regardless and the reserved car would just be put back into the inventory. I can't praise them enough up to now tbh.

I'm sorry to hear about a further delay to you getting your car-it sounds like some leasing companies are struggling more than others to fund the cars for new orders (I spoke to Tesla again today, and they said this).

It appears that VWFS have put the order in for mine, and the next stage is for Tesla and VWFS to communicate and get some paperwork over to Tesla, then the car will be prepared for delivery.

Last edited:
I asked about "worst-case scenarios", for example, if it turned out the leasing company had already matched me to another car, or if they flat out refused to do the transfer, and Tesla told me that they would refund the £100 regardless and the reserved car would just be put back into the inventory. I can't praise them enough up to now tbh.

I'm sorry to hear about a further delay to you getting your car-it sounds like some leasing companies are struggling more than others to fund the cars for new orders (I spoke to Tesla again today, and they said this).

It appears that VWFS have put the order in for mine, and the next stage is for Tesla and VWFS to communicate and get some paperwork over to Tesla, then the car will be prepared for delivery.

Well I have gone ahead and ordered one. If they wont take the RN tomorrow I'm hoping there will be a few weeks at least before I get chased for delivery/ payment. Hopefully by then the leasing guys will be happy to proceed. There can't be too many cars left so wanted to at least to have a chance of securing one before they are all gone for now.

Did you fill out any of the delivery info, trade in stuff etc. on your account or did you just leave it all blank and send of the RN? It says to continue with delviery fill in all the details on your account page?

Status
Not open for further replies.