Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019/20 Orders and Deliveries [closed]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got an email to say I've been matched to a car in Southampton, so it will be making its way to Edinburgh next week! Seems crazy to transport it all the way up there but maybe all NI sales have to come out of Edinburgh?

Excellent news - congratulations! I’m hoping that also means that my M3P (which should have been collected from Edinburgh at the end of March and has been stuck in Southampton for the last 5 weeks) will also be making its way north next week.

I was originally supposed to collect my M3P on 15th March which obviously got pushed since I said I wasn't a key worker.

Tesla sent me a text yesterday to tell me that my car is ready for collection and have booked an appointment for 7th May. I've called them up to say we are still in lock-down and was told that the government have updated guidelines to say that people can collect cars now.

I've checked this and the government have clarified that car companies can deliver but haven't clarified that customers can collect so I've called Tesla back and been told they would hold it for a further 7 days to see if there is clarification but any longer than that and I'll be unmatched from the car.

They told me they cannot deliver the car. Since hanging up my appointment date has changed to 14th May but I've also had a text telling me it's still the 7th and to reply YES or NO to confirm my availability!

It's all just a little frustrating that they are trying to push the onus of collection on to the customer when the government are telling us to stay at home and ultimately it's Tesla that really want the sale. I don't want to be unmatched from the car since I really could do with it since I sold my car just prior to all this happening which means if they un-match me and then I don't get re-matched, since they aren't currently making/shipping new cars, I could be left without a car for some time when I will need one again for work.

(snip)

It's all just a little frustrating that they are trying to push the onus of collection on to the customer when the government are telling us to stay at home and ultimately it's Tesla that really want the sale. I don't want to be unmatched from the car since I really could do with it since I sold my car just prior to all this happening which means if they un-match me and then I don't get re-matched, since they aren't currently making/shipping new cars, I could be left without a car for some time when I will need one again for work.

You can hire a company with a car trailer or transporter, to fetch it for you. This is what I'm doing on Monday.

I was originally supposed to collect my M3P on 15th March which obviously got pushed since I said I wasn't a key worker.

Tesla sent me a text yesterday to tell me that my car is ready for collection and have booked an appointment for 7th May. I've called them up to say we are still in lock-down and was told that the government have updated guidelines to say that people can collect cars now.

I've checked this and the government have clarified that car companies can deliver but haven't clarified that customers can collect so I've called Tesla back and been told they would hold it for a further 7 days to see if there is clarification but any longer than that and I'll be unmatched from the car.

They told me they cannot deliver the car. Since hanging up my appointment date has changed to 14th May but I've also had a text telling me it's still the 7th and to reply YES or NO to confirm my availability!

I’m in exactly the same boat. They’ve had many cancellations so have a large surplus of cars to still sell. Demand is currently very low. The likelihood they’ll unmatch you is slim. For example, why unmatch your car for someone else, which is time consuming for Tesla, when they can just allocate them an inventory car of which their are plenty available (more than appear on their website). I had a similar conversation with them yesterday and they advised to do the 7 day extension (actually got a text to say my new collection date is May 11th) and then call them the day before if lockdown still hasn’t been lifted. My gut feel is that they’ll extend to the date when lockdown is relaxed, a date we should hopefully know next week. My car is in Birmingham, all the paperwork is done, the Reg allocated and all things my end in place. I guess if someone near Birmingham really wanted a car with my spec then it’s there ready to go, but that would mean them allocating me one of the cars in Southampton and redoing all the paperwork and system changes again if I’m unmatched. Just can’t see it happening.

Do you have a source / reference on the government saying that car companies can deliver?

My NHS fleet management company have said that Arnold Clark aren't allowing any new registrations at the moment and are being quite strict on this, even for key workers. I suspect a lot of other leasing companies will be taking the same stance. I've already had the AA out once to my current car and they said it's not covered for the same fault again so I'm paranoid about breaking down and being unable to get to work again.

Do you have a source / reference on the government saying that car companies can deliver?

My NHS fleet management company have said that Arnold Clark aren't allowing any new registrations at the moment and are being quite strict on this, even for key workers. I suspect a lot of other leasing companies will be taking the same stance. I've already had the AA out once to my current car and they said it's not covered for the same fault again so I'm paranoid about breaking down and being unable to get to work again.

Forgive my ignorance, but what would be the motive for this when a car has already been ordered?

I've spoken to my NHS Fleet Management today, and they haven't said anything like this to me, though I've reserved an inventory car, which might, even though the car's unregistered, be different in some way?

Tesla also wasn't giving any indication that this was going to be a standardised approach by lease companies when I spoke to them yesterday, they just said it'll hopefully be with me in the next one to two weeks.

Forgive my ignorance, but what would be the motive for this when a car has already been ordered?

I've spoken to my NHS Fleet Management today, and they haven't said anything like this to me, though I've reserved an inventory car, which might, even though the car's unregistered, be different in some way?

Tesla also wasn't giving any indication that this was going to be a standardised approach by lease companies when I spoke to them yesterday, they just said it'll hopefully be with me in the next one to two weeks.

I've done exactly the same as you and ordered an inventory car. They disappear very quickly! Can understand that companies don't want people flocking to car yards or motorways full of transporters but it's probably less of a risk to the public for me to travel alone to pick up a car than having to call out the AA, sort out a temporary hire car or other such things, let alone the disruption to the NHS not having me at work if I break down at the weekend on the way in or can't get started. Anyway, maybe they will have a change of heart next week.

My leasing company have now confirmed they will not change the RN to an inventory until June due to covid either however they have also said this date may change. They said they were not placing any new vehicles until then either. Hoping that means it can change to sooner as well as later.

I am not sure what they would do if Tesla approached them and said my order is ready however. It does seem a little odd. I understand issues with the virus however most business are meant to be continuing to run as much as possible following distancing guidelines and working from home. The collection and delivery of Tesla’s at least has no physical contact with the lease company themselves and Tesla have taken steps to allow delivery’s/ contactless options so I don’t see why these leasing company’s would not want to take the business while they can still get it.

I have since had an email from someone at Tesla sales asking to fill out my account for the inventory car I ordered. I told him it may be a little delayed due to lease guys having covid issues and he asked for the lease RN to see what he could do. I’m a little concerned if he does change it at his end my leasing guys may still refuse to pay and totally loose the vehicle.... But then if I tell him I’m waiting until June it may have the same result..

Excellent news - congratulations! I’m hoping that also means that my M3P (which should have been collected from Edinburgh at the end of March and has been stuck in Southampton for the last 5 weeks) will also be making its way north next week.

Hmm that's interesting, I'll let you know if I hear for definite that mine has moved/arrived. I'm not in a major panic for it, was just keen to get a car secured but I do need it before the 25th of this month or I'll have to extend my current car by a month.

My leasing company have now confirmed they will not change the RN to an inventory until June due to covid either however they have also said this date may change. They said they were not placing any new vehicles until then either. Hoping that means it can change to sooner as well as later.

I am not sure what they would do if Tesla approached them and said my order is ready however. It does seem a little odd. I understand issues with the virus however most business are meant to be continuing to run as much as possible following distancing guidelines and working from home. The collection and delivery of Tesla’s at least has no physical contact with the lease company themselves and Tesla have taken steps to allow delivery’s/ contactless options so I don’t see why these leasing company’s would not want to take the business while they can still get it.

I have since had an email from someone at Tesla sales asking to fill out my account for the inventory car I ordered. I told him it may be a little delayed due to lease guys having covid issues and he asked for the lease RN to see what he could do. I’m a little concerned if he does change it at his end my leasing guys may still refuse to pay and totally loose the vehicle.... But then if I tell him I’m waiting until June it may have the same result..

I tried exactly this approach in March and it didn't really work out.

As soon as I couldn't take the inventory order (because lease co wouldn't take it over) Tesla unmatched me so I was basically back at square one except £100 down and now with 2 unmatched orders.

I think we have to accept that the leasing co's have their own things going on that we aren't party to - they may have their own operational, logistical and financial issues which cause them to implement a no deliveries policies even if they aren't the ones involved in deliveries.

For example, I can believe a very simple and realistic issue is that they/finance company don't want people taking delivery of cars and then wanting payment holidays (now possible without car being repossessed).

I tried exactly this approach in March and it didn't really work out.

As soon as I couldn't take the inventory order (because lease co wouldn't take it over) Tesla unmatched me so I was basically back at square one except £100 down and now with 2 unmatched orders.

I think we have to accept that the leasing co's have their own things going on that we aren't party to - they may have their own operational, logistical and financial issues which cause them to implement a no deliveries policies even if they aren't the ones involved in deliveries.

For example, I can believe a very simple and realistic issue is that they/finance company don't want people taking delivery of cars and then wanting payment holidays (now possible without car being repossessed).

Yes annoyingly they have said they will happily swap the RN, just not until June. I’m tempted to delay replying further to the Tesla guy until next week at least until gov gives their future lockdown plans in the hope the lease guys will have become a bit more flexible.

Yes I can certainly see concerns with missed payments but I can’t see that concern lifting any time soon. And I’m not sure what a few weeks of holding up peoples orders would do... But then yes I agree, none of us know the ins and outs of leasing companies and funding, I guess it is their business’s as well and they have their interests in mind as well as ours. Patience... I think we are all trying our best lol

Reactions: bhav
Thanks for the positive news. I have a M3LR in exactly the same situation! Was due End of March in Edinburgh, last I heard of in Southampton , fingers crossed !

If you need the car, then just go and collect it.

Assuming you can get a lift over with a family member and aren’t getting on public transport, taxis or whatever then the risk is very low, certainly less than people going to supermarkets to shop, or everyone else who isn’t a key worker who is still having to work and can’t WFH.

The collection will be a zero touch handover anyway.

I’ve been very compliant with the lockdown, but I’m not going to lose sleep over a journey with negligible risk, particularly ones less than supermarket journeys that are fully legitimate. You’re not putting anyone at risk except in the most extreme of events like a car crash needing an accident, which can also happen on the way to the supermarket..

Reactions: AnthonyLR
Thanks, I’d appreciate that. I’ll do the same in the unlikely event that I get any updates from Tesla.

Thanks for the positive news. I have a M3LR in exactly the same situation! Was due End of March in Edinburgh, last I heard of in Southampton , fingers crossed !

They would likely want to gather up a load to bring in one go, so may be waiting for that. I did ask why bother transporting it all the way to Edinburgh when I'm going to collect it anyway to being over to NI, seems an awful waste!

My fleet guy is very communicative and helpful so will hopefully hear more within the week.

Hi
Because it was a CHAPS payment 6 weeks ago there is no case for a chargeback, also i stated to TESLA that i would be seeking compensation for the financial loss, they said i would have no case and to read the terms and conditions, I wonder if Trump is running this company not Elon Musk ?

Ok they must read this forum, next day the money wasn't returned but transferred to a new order, and the car collected the day after that, car is amazing, service was awful until you flame them........

Status
Not open for further replies.