Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.24.4 & Auto Pilot (not good)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have developed a visceral revulsion to the phrase “Hey what’s up guys?”

I’m really glad that’s not just those of us outside the USA who are tired of that one :D

My personal least-favourite is “...now I’m going to go right ahead and...”

It’s easier said than done to make a good video. I used to present Webinars at work, which had to be as concise as possible; so we used to practice over and over until we’d trimmed the length by about half.

-Alex

Good point, so it has its purpose.. long straight runs like on the way to Las Vegas.

Thanks

Well, that and the many tens of thousands of miles of other actual limited access divided highways in the US, sure.

I use AP/TACC for like 90-95% of my ~75 mile daily driving to/from work for example as it's all on that type of road. Pretty rare I need to disengage for anything from on-ramp to off-ramp (including through interchanges between highways).

It has made that drive 10,000% better and was literally the reason I bought the car.

Just because it’s marketing name is Autopilot does not make it anything more than a “lane tracking” gimmick

To be fair- that's largely what aircraft autopilot has been for most of its own history...a pilot assist system rather than a pilot replacement system.... the name is far more accurate than most think, it's just folks don't bother to learn what the system its named after does...

To be fair- that's largely what aircraft autopilot has been for most of its own history...a pilot assist system rather than a pilot replacement system.... the name is far more accurate than most think, it's just folks don't bother to learn what the system its named after does...

exactly. one could actually argue that our version has surpassed its namesake. in a plane, you input a heading and speed, and the plane maintains it, dumbly. there are no decisions made by the plane's systems.

our cars can change lanes and switch from one highway to another.

It's known that current AP kind of bumps up against the limits of the 2.5 computer. As in, if they want to add a particular recognition/behavior to the neural net to improve highway driving, e.g. "don't sit in other cars' blindspots," they have to reduce computing power for some other operation. As they refine HIGHWAY Autopilot, some behaviors that made the car better for winding country roads - where it's not meant to be used - will deteriorate. This is based on what Elon and Karpathy have said about the NN/computer.

I get there's a bunch of YouTubers that enjoy pushing the limits of AP, but without understanding the above, this AP/FSD 2.5/3.0 transition is going to lead to a bunch of "AP is getting worse!" videos and sensationalism.

exactly. one could actually argue that our version has surpassed its namesake. in a plane, you input a heading and speed, and the plane maintains it, dumbly. there are no decisions made by the plane's systems.

our cars can change lanes and switch from one highway to another.

Largely true. And there’s no “ground control” in this case controlling all aircraft routes so no one is in anyone’s way. There’s also no consistent and rigid driving protocols on the road that everyone religiously follows. Heck that alone could eradicate the need for all this lol. All this makes driving on the road far trickier and dangerous. And that’s why I said that this “autopilot” is currently intended to do just two things - adaptive cruise control and lane tracking where lane markings are straightforward. The system is not without bugs if you try and make it do other things. Phantom braking, sudden swerve, sticking to the wrong side of the edge when lane tracking is not dead straight, etc. Will it get better? Absolutely. All software does. Are we even near the full FSD capability? Not at all.

If today’s cars at least are forgiving enough to the driver who could lose no more than a few seconds of attention and assist that situation and avoid an accident, I think we would already be changing the death statistics. And I think we are definitely almost there.

Last edited:
Reactions: ModelNforNerd
Yes this! This car is fun as hell to drive! Who would want to even use AP on a road like this except to complain on YouTube about how not "perfect" it is?

I will confess to having used AP on a road even twistier than that - when I was stuck behind a slow moving minivan that was sucking all the fun out anyway.

I was actually quite impressed that it managed my mountain hairpin turns perfectly, and at a similar pace to the minivan.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
Or 10 minutes of some chirpy moron with a low f-stop lens making him pin-sharp against the blurry background of his mother’s attic.
I have developed a visceral revulsion to the phrase “Hey what’s up guys?”

Don't forget to smash that like button and subscribe!

The videos are 10 minutes+ because youtube allows you to place more than one ad where ever you want in the video.

So this post is about how AP doesn't do what it's not supposed to do, got it.

Reactions: Knightshade
Personally, I use AP as much as I can, on residential roads, city driving, everywhere I can get the opportunity. And it flubs here and there. But I was under the impression (and I could be absolutely 100% wrong here) that they take all the data from driving with AP into account, for tracking of roads better, better speed monitoring, and just general traffic congestion at different times of day of various types of streets.

I do this all while paying attention (I've lost count of how many times I've had to grab the wheel because someone tracks to close, and the car wants to veer to the side, or press on the gas because someone cuts across my lane WAY ahead of me, and the system thinks there's an impending collision so brakes aggressively). I'm hoping I'm contributing something.

Also managed to AP navigate 3 roundabouts on the trot, in all cases I was taking the first exit off the roundabout. I know this was just a fluke but it felt really cool to drive roundabouts on AP. I’ll try to do a video of it tomorrow.

Didn't watch the whole video, but I did see how it crossed into the other lane on a pretty tight turn. My 2016 MX doesn't have the most upgraded AP, but I wouldn't even trust my husband's M3-P on something like that. You have to constantly watch it and be ready to take over at any time!

Great video for those that are into Auto Pilot, not improved at all with 2019.24.4 and you can see how it crosses the line into the other lane during turns, clean road, good road lines so how is this failing?

Or

Long boring video for those who don’t read the instructions about the proper use of AutoPilot then complain that a firmware update that was not intended to improve AutoPilot didn’t change AutoPilot.

• Love
Reactions: Skione65