Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.24.4 wrecked my cameras!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before the update my files created by sentry mode were good. Clear, non of the pixelated problems, etc that others have reported. After the update

1 L repeater jerks while recording like someone holding a camera is jerking their hand up and down (not all the time but enough to be very noticeable for 30 seconds or so)
2 Many videos now pixelated
3 "Ghost" figures eg person walking down the street splits into 3 or 4 duplicates
4 Some videos now have pixelated bottom thirds some of the time

So I've gone from no problem videos to extreme issues - this is an improvement?

From my personal experience from past software versions and the current 2019.24.4. Most of the pixelation, ghosting images and image distortion maybe caused from the high temperature on the USB drive when recording and downloading to the drive.

Since we're both living in California and it's summer time, the inside cabin temperature reaches 110+. I've noticed during spring/winter when outside temperatures are cool, the dashcam footage is much better and crispy.

Can anyone report similar experiences and quality of dashcam?

Before the update my files created by sentry mode were good. Clear, non of the pixelated problems, etc that others have reported. After the update

1 L repeater jerks while recording like someone holding a camera is jerking their hand up and down (not all the time but enough to be very noticeable for 30 seconds or so)
2 Many videos now pixelated
3 "Ghost" figures eg person walking down the street splits into 3 or 4 duplicates
4 Some videos now have pixelated bottom thirds some of the time

So I've gone from no problem videos to extreme issues - this is an improvement?
Nice title. Better to say it wrecked your recordings. Your cameras are just fine.

ITT - people that didn't get the memo that they shouldn't be using crappy, temp sensitive thumb drives. You should be using an SSD rated for high temps like the Samsung T5.

As noted repeatedly in previous threads, the T5 is actually rated for a narrower environment temp range than many good high-heat-intended thumb drives like say the Samsung FIT keys.

I actually haven't seen much correlation between temps and the garbled video.

Also telling is that it's always my left repeater that corrupts. I know others report it's their right repeater video. The point is, why would it be contained to a single camera if the problem is the drive getting too hot?

I actually haven't seen much correlation between temps and the garbled video.

Also telling is that it's always my left repeater that corrupts. I know others report it's their right repeater video. The point is, why would it be contained to a single camera if the problem is the drive getting too hot?

It wouldn't- folks just like justifying overspending :)

(don't get me wrong- if you need a genuinely massive drive to hold a music collection, like >256GB, an SSD is going to be the only way to go... but otherwise decent quality keys/sdcards in the 128-256 range will work at least as well if not better given the environment temp range stuff)