Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those dancing cars are a product of the distortion/pixelation we see from from the cameras (as seen in the dashcam/sentry mode saves). The car is using the camera's vision to detect other cars. Both the distortion and dancing cars seems to happen primarily when the car is not moving.

Now THAT would be an interesting correlation if it's true.

Do you mean the way the video sometimes fades into a
partial screen, usually with green artifacts? THAT one is
a bug for sure. Or do you mean some other distortion/pixellation?
Are you stating a theory or does it actually match up in time
with "dancing cars"?

In my case, the distorted video happens while moving too,
and it doesn't happen more when I'm stopped, which is
the only time I sometimes get objects with the "uncertain
orientation" dance.

Do you mean the way the video sometimes fades into a
partial screen, usually with green artifacts? THAT one is
a bug for sure. Or do you mean some other distortion/pixellation?
Are you stating a theory or does it actually match up in time
with "dancing cars"?
That's my theory at least. I think the visuals on the screen come from the camera AI vision and the green artifacts/distortion we see correlates to how the car tries to interpret what it sees results in the dancing.

That's my theory at least. I think the visuals on the screen come from the camera AI vision and the green artifacts/distortion we see correlates to how the car tries to interpret what it sees results in the dancing.

Then why don't the cars dance when moving? The corrupt camera images happen both when stationary and when moving. Also My camera images aren't corrupt anymore and the cars still dance when I'm stopped. I don't think your theory stands up.

My theory for the "dancing cars" is that single cameras have difficulty accurately measuring distance and orientation when the image is static. That is why it happens mostly when both you and the other car are not moving. A single camera needs angular change in an image to compute distance. The "dancing cars" is a product of the NN not sure about the exact position and orientation of the object.

My theory for the "dancing cars" is that single cameras have difficulty accurately measuring distance and orientation when the image is static. That is why it happens mostly when both you and the other car are not moving. A single camera needs angular change in an image to compute distance. The "dancing cars" is a product of the NN not sure about the exact position and orientation of the object.

I think this is pretty close, but the system will use lane lines to determine orientation as long as they are forwardly visible. It’s when it doesn’t have lane lines visible and it’s trying to determine a vehicle’s location and orientation in open space that they really start dancing.

This is possible. I only get grey flashing, unusable video when I’m stationary, including Sentry mode. Dashcam footage is fine when I’m moving.

I think this is pretty close, but the system will use lane lines to determine orientation as long as they are forwardly visible. It’s when it doesn’t have lane lines visible and it’s trying to determine a vehicle’s location and orientation in open space that they really start dancing.

True which would explain why the "dancing cars" is the worst when stopped in congested traffic at a red light since all the adjacent cars are blocking the cameras from seeing lane lines. You can see that the blue lane lines get very short as well.

True which would explain why the "dancing cars" is the worst when stopped in congested traffic at a red light since all the adjacent cars are blocking the cameras from seeing lane lines. You can see that the blue lane lines get very short as well.

One quirk I see quite often is if I am located in a center lane and the car to my right is spinning, the opposite car on the left spins in exactly the same way, so there is some connection between them.

Perhaps this is the Tesla trying to figure out where the lane is and getting it wrong, thus causing both cars to spin the same way since they are both being displayed based on the wrong lane info.

My dancing cars hypothesis: the artifact is caused by an interpretive battle between front and rear facing repeater camera data when the cameras detect the same vehicle. There is overlap in the fields of view, and the algorithms for resolving the overlap are not yet perfected, leading to uncertain, “dancing” vehicle renders.

Seems more plausible than other explanations.

My dancing cars hypothesis: the artifact is caused by an interpretive battle between front and rear facing repeater camera data when the cameras detect the same vehicle. There is overlap in the fields of view, and the algorithms for resolving the overlap are not yet perfected, leading to uncertain, “dancing” vehicle renders.

Seems more plausible than other explanations.

But the cars in front dance as well and they aren't being picked up with repeater cameras. And why don't the cars dance when moving?

Why don’t they add some “plausibility” code to filter what the car detects?

I mean, how likely is it that in reality, a car spins wildly around or teleports in and out of existence?

If their NN isn’t good enough to figure this out then it needs more work and not a public release.

• Disagree
  • Funny
Reactions: Fernand and jebinc
Frankly I rarely look at the other cars in the left hand display so whether the cars dance or not doesn't really matter. Of course it would be nice to stop the dancing but far better to look out the windows. I've posted before that when the display can confirm whether a stop sign or light is coming up then I'll quickly glance at the display. Or if it showed cars further back but otherwise the cars displayed is mostly irrelevant except for passengers new to Tesla.

The question is, is it just cosmetic or is this actually what the car uses to make decisions? The “dancing” itself is probably a cosmetic problem but when cars pop in and out of existence or teleport from one lane to the other then it is a functional/safety problem. See the threads about blind spot monitoring.

Today my Model 3 got again confused by an erratically identified vehicle. So annoying having a frantic warning with a spinning car rendered in red if in reality everything is clear.

I can’t imagine trusting this obviously flawed system. No wonder it’s phantom braking, running over barrels and into vehicles that are partially in the lane.

no luck this is what i got when i scheduled the appointment. I am not sure but i believe this may have something to do with my car being made in June and having hw3

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20190802-152615_Messages.jpg
    SmartSelect_20190802-152615_Messages.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 98