Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.28 Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

diplomat33

Average guy who loves autonomous vehicles
Aug 3, 2017
USA
EA6hFWCWkAE349I

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Got 2019.28.2 this morning. I have not tried AP yet but I love the chess game.

I was out of town when I finally received the latest Model 3 update. I just took the car on a little loop near our house that has a few tricky maneuvers. With the latest update, the car finally passed one that it had always failed on in the past, and overall auto pilot seemed much smoother. It still failed on a small two way traffic street where there are cars parked on the left and right side of the road. The car still struggles determining if it is a parked car or a car that has stopped. The car wants to hug the right side of the road and almost always stops behind a car which is parked.

• Informative
Reactions: diplomat33
I didn't really notice much change in AP so far - but 24.4 mostly fixed the last really big issue I had, the aggressive centering on lane merges.

I think I am getting fewer panics on overtaking when a car edges toward my lane, but that's one it'll take time to be sure of.

As I mentioned in the other 28.2 thread, the display changed a bunch. It's now showing several lanes beyond mine on the freeway instead of just the adjacent ones - and only when the lines are dashed.

If my lane line changes to solid, all those other lanes vanish instantly, then snap back on when it goes back to dashed.

I only see cars in the adjacent lanes - but all the cars in the lane beyond snap onto the display immediately when I start moving into the next lane in an auto lane change, so I think they (and the solid lanes) are being tracked, and just not shown to keep the display understandable.

I was out of town when I finally received the latest Model 3 update. I just took the car on a little loop near our house that has a few tricky maneuvers. With the latest update, the car finally passed one that it had always failed on in the past, and overall auto pilot seemed much smoother. It still failed on a small two way traffic street where there are cars parked on the left and right side of the road. The car still struggles determining if it is a parked car or a car that has stopped. The car wants to hug the right side of the road and almost always stops behind a car which is parked.

Yes, overall, I find the latest autopilot to be very smooth and stable. I drive mostly 4 lane roads just outside of town and AP handles them perfectly, except for intersections and traffic lights of course.

I am not surprised that it failed in your scenarios though since those are definitely "city driving" scenarios IMO that I don't expect AP will be able to handle until "automatic city driving" is released.

Reactions: willw64
I didn't really notice much change in AP so far - but 24.4 mostly fixed the last really big issue I had, the aggressive centering on lane merges.

I think I am getting fewer panics on overtaking when a car edges toward my lane, but that's one it'll take time to be sure of.

As I mentioned in the other 28.2 thread, the display changed a bunch. It's now showing several lanes beyond mine on the freeway instead of just the adjacent ones - and only when the lines are dashed.

If my lane line changes to solid, all those other lanes vanish instantly, then snap back on when it goes back to dashed.

I only see cars in the adjacent lanes - but all the cars in the lane beyond snap onto the display immediately when I start moving into the next lane in an auto lane change, so I think they (and the solid lanes) are being tracked, and just not shown to keep the display understandable.

I too am now seeing the adjacent lane lines which was new, and approaching a cross walk had pedestrians on the screen and the car slowed to smooth stop for them.

Reactions: diplomat33