TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

2019.32.11.1 And autosteer/autopilot

Discussion in 'Software: Firmware Updates, Features, Tesla App' started by Giru, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Giru

Giru Member

I have received this update today and i have installed, however i feel autopilot or better said, autosteer, keeps steering little left then little to the right, then left again, then right, it does it softly but noticeable, when keeping the car inside the lane. I have to try it again, since it was not good weather, but i didn't have that feeling before with 2019.32.11 neither with V9 in very similar weather conditions. Does Somebody has experience the same?

2. AwlBidnz

AwlBidnz Old Guy to be driven around for yrs to come

Yes. I have noticed is sways a bit recently when nothing has changed in road width or the blue lines on the display, whichever applies ;0-

It still also has trouble with on/off ramps that aren't painted on the street to indicate what's happening. Not sure when it will be able to default to the only line it can depend on, instead of trying to be in the middle all the time. I suspect sign recognition will be the fix for this??

3. K2500Z71

K2500Z71 Member

I’ve had that slight ping ponging on certain roads since I got my X. SC said everything was fine and it was normal. Hopefully this update doesn’t make it worse.

4. NHK X

NHK X Member

I noticed this with v10. Tends to happen when proximity sensors detect an object in adjacent lane. Definitely new behavior, and very subtle.

5. Giru

Giru Member

Interesting, this morning autopilot was doing well, but in the night, that was rainning again, it strted to ping ponging again.... lets see tomorrow how it behaves

6. EVNow

EVNow Well-Known Member

Is that with HW3 ? I saw a comment about that a couple of days back on Reddit.

7. Routybouty

Routybouty Member

There is a certain road on my commute where my SR+ works great on AP, but my coworkers P3 has about a 1/2Hz ping pong. I was wondering if it related to the sticker performance tires or his HW3 vs my HW2.5. Both on 2019.32.11. I just updated to 32.11.1, we'll see how the morning commute goes.

8. 3Victoria

3Victoria Active Member

Appears that the cars will shift away from adjacent vehicles, especially large trucks. Ping-pong may be a tuning problem with 11.1. Sometimes it is a sensor problem, but I would wait for the next update.

9. CRASHER

CRASHER Member

My car just slammed brake on highway today, while passing the semi in adjacent lane. Luckily I was able to recover quickly. Was very close to be rear-ended.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  10. Vipercat

Vipercat Member

What I’ve noticed today during a long commute to work is that indeed the car slightly moves to the left side of the lane (and then back again to the center of the lane) when passing trucks. Each and every time and only when passing trucks. Even when the truck is in the center of it’s own lane, so it doesn’t seem to be any behavior to compensate for trucks that are slightly to the left (and therefore close to your lane). However, this behavior only occurs when there is an adjacent lane to your left (dotted line to the left). So, highways with more then two lanes. Here in The Netherlands most highways only have two lanes and when such is the case the car sticks to the center of the road and does not move to the left when passing a truck. That’s why I first did not notice, until I got to a three lane highway. Even when a truck is slightly to the left side of it’s lane and phantom braking might occur the car stick to the center. The reason for not moving to the left in such cases might be that the car’s logic tells it it is ‘not allowed’ to move to the left, Because of the solid line.

I do like the aspect of the ‘awareness’ of trucks, but I would have expected this behavior only when a truck is close to your lane. As I mentioned; to compensate and prevent phantom braking. I hope Tesla will adjust and improve this behavior, because with lot’s of traffic and a lot of trucks the car is constantly moving out of the center and back again. Another downside is that cars to your left sometimes think you’re moving into their lane and then brake or adjust their center driving.......

11. Giru

Giru Member

I think i have HW2.5 since my codec is the H264, but tomorrow i will unmount the cover and take a look to the computer serial number

12. Giru

Giru Member

Thanks for your answer, btw, i am also located in The Netherlands. I saw this behavior mostly lately with raining, but not always when having cars/trucks on my side lanes, also without them. When stop raining, i realized it was working much better, but maybe i was on a 2 lane highways, don’t remember, neither i didn’t realized about it, i will keep track of those things in the next days.
    To be continued... but indeed, the awareness is good, but i think, it need a little bit of polishing

13. Puddles

Puddles Member

Similar discussion here

14. Giru

Giru Member

Interesting thread too. Thanks!

15. Giru

Giru Member

Yesterday night, clear sky, in the night, no cars left neither right, highway of 2 lanes and also 5 lanes, the AP still doing zig zag