Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.32.12.2 problem with bluetooth streaming from phone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
Just a friendly warning to music lovers out there who use their phone to stream music via bluetooth to the car. I took 2019.32.12.2 last night and on the way into work this AM, everything was working fine on the car including music via bluetooth. I have an 8:30am WebEx call each morning, and I joined it as usual with the phone paired to the car. This morning I was using the WebEx app using LTE data on my phone for the audio (this provides better call clarity then having WebEx call you via normal phone or dialing into a the conference). After the call concluded, I ended the call on the steering wheel... That's where the problems started. Normal behavior is the phone will go back to the app that was playing audio (in this case Spotify for me), which it did. However, now the music was playing from the phone's speakers even though it was paired to my car. I could pause Spotify by click in the left scroll wheel as usual, but adjusting the volume using that same wheel did nothing on my phone.

From there I tried the usual things you'd expect. Went into Bluetooth settings, disconnected from the Model S, reconnected, tried to play... same thing. Disabled bluetooth entirely on my phone, re-enabled, allowed it to re-pair, tried to play, same thing. Disconnected the phone from bluetooth via the center screen on the Tesla, reconnected, tried to play, same issue.

Now I'm starting to get worried. So I give it the two scroll wheel salute and reboot the entire center console. It comes back up, repairs... and.... no dice.

By the time I finished that last test I was in my employer's parking deck and couldn't test further but that last one should've done it. My next thought would be to reboot my phone but we've already entered into concerning territory.

Bottom line if you're a music lover (like me) who uses their phone to play audio through the car, I'd wait and not take this release.

2018 Tesla Model MC2 w/ AP2.5 paired to Pixel XL2 running Android 10

All problems above I haven't ran into in my Tesla since I had my old 2013 MS P85 on like version 7 or 8.

Tesla introduced several Bluetooth related bugs a few updates ago and have yet to resolve it. When I try to talk on my phone via Bluetooth I can hear the person on the other end but they can't hear me and it will transition back and forth from Bluetooth to the handset and back. I end up having to take my phone off of Bluetooth handsfree to send/receive calls which introduces unsafe conditions to my driving. Thanks Tesla!

It sounds like your phone got stuck with the audio output set to the speaker instead of bluetoooth. I think Android 10 was supposed to move the menu for selecting the audio output from settings to the Now Playing widget, don't know if it actually happened.

Sounds like Spotify just changed where the audio output Is (or likely a Tesla bug caused it to freak out thinking the bluetooth was no longer available and it's just remembering your last used audio device). Likely it's fine. In the lower left of the playing screen, you should see a speaker icon with a computer screen behind it. Click it and redirect the output to your paired car.

Tesla introduced several Bluetooth related bugs a few updates ago and have yet to resolve it. When I try to talk on my phone via Bluetooth I can hear the person on the other end but they can't hear me and it will transition back and forth from Bluetooth to the handset and back. I end up having to take my phone off of Bluetooth handsfree to send/receive calls which introduces unsafe conditions to my driving. Thanks Tesla!
I've noticed the behavior a few times as well. I always chalked it up to a bad cellular connection though

It sounds like your phone got stuck with the audio output set to the speaker instead of bluetoooth. I think Android 10 was supposed to move the menu for selecting the audio output from settings to the Now Playing widget, don't know if it actually happened.
I wasn't touching my phone so I'm not sure how that would have happened. It occurred right after ending the call using the steering wheel controls. Since I do this literally every single day M-F and it just started today after the update last night, I'm very sure it is a bug but it might be a bug that only manifests when ending a call that's a WebEx VoIP call. This is not the same as ending a cellular call connected via bluetooth, so that has me thinking it is the catalyst.

For what's worth, I did toggle the sound output (which was a new menu I haven't noticed before so it must've came from either Andriod 10 or a Spotify change) between my phone's speakers and selecting "output to tesla model S" several times and it continued to play through my phone. I even went into bluetooth settings and disabled media playback then re-enabled and no dice.

Sounds like Spotify just changed where the audio output Is (or likely a Tesla bug caused it to freak out thinking the bluetooth was no longer available and it's just remembering your last used audio device). Likely it's fine. In the lower left of the playing screen, you should see a speaker icon with a computer screen behind it. Click it and redirect the output to your paired car.
I use spotify to cast from my phone to my PC, home theater receiver, chromecast, smart tv, and a bose speakers around the house. Very familiar with this functionality and it shouldn't have been in play but I will experiment more and report back.

I went back downstairs and tried again and everything worked as expected. All I can think of is ending the call from the steering wheel while using WebEx VoIP audio caused the issue. Normally the meeting host ends the call and it automatically disconnects but they didn't today, so I ended it.

Will keep an eye on it and report back if I discover something new