Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.32.12.3 Door Handle Eject

spacklewoof

Apr 7, 2019
Mesa, AZ, USA
2012 Model S 85 No tech, not dual, not signature.
Prior to this update, when I would walk up to the vehicle, I could touch the door handles and they would eject. This functionality no longer works.
I can still use the fob, click it twice and the door handles will eject. There is nothing wrong with the door handles.
Something happened with this update. I don't know if it is related to the security issues with the older fobs, that they have permanently disabled "presence" unlocking of the door handles.

I posted this on an Arizona Tesla Facebook page and others also appear to be having the same issue.

Before I involve Tesla, does anyone know if this was permanently disabled because of the V1 fob security issues, or if this is a bug in this latest version of the automobile's software?
Have Updated the fob
Have done both resets
Thanks.

spacklewoof

Apr 7, 2019
Mesa, AZ, USA
That feature is called something like "auto present" and it is part of the "tech" package that was available to early model s owners. I think some part or all of the stuff in the tech package is just part of the standard model s now. But I don't know that for sure.

Reactions: smilepak

boaterva

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Apr 2, 2016
Northern Virginia, USA
That is definitely weird. It’s basic S functionality to touch and present. I’d call support since you’ve done the basic (reboot, etc.). Assume you did power off, wait ten minutes also? They will have you do that also.

Since others have the same issue it’s probably a 12.3 bug but they need calls about it. In any case they will still want to know you rebooted and powered off.

Wonder if fixed in the coming 12.4 with the other goodies.

gaswalla

Model S,3,X.. CT with Austin delivery
Sep 23, 2012
San Diego
yes, do a reboot, even reboot twice has been recommended
check if touching another handle works - the sensor easily wears out.. could be coincidence with software changes

boaterva

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Apr 2, 2016
Northern Virginia, USA
Love how no one reads that OP has already rebooted. I wasn’t sure if a power shutdown had been done or not.

Please read the whole thread, especially one as short as this one.

Reactions: gaswalla

MarcusMaximus

Jan 2, 2017
Los Gatos
Could passive entry be disabled? My memory on that is it prevents the car from opening except by explicitly clicking the fob. Wasn’t introduced in this update, but was in another recent one, to prevent relay attack.

Reactions: MP3Mike

spacklewoof

Apr 7, 2019
Mesa, AZ, USA
Replaced battery in fob no change.
Powered car off for an hour.
When powered on, it worked first time.
Has not worked since.

Passive entry I believe is part of the tech package and I do not have that. that is where the handles auto present themselves as you walk to the car.

Scheduled a service call with Tesla.

nativespinner

May 28, 2018
Tulsa, OK
Interesting, I'll have to test this on my car with the same update. Mine is a 2013 S60 with Tech package. The autopresent still works, I'll see if I can check the touch to present settings.

spacklewoof

Apr 7, 2019
Mesa, AZ, USA
If the car goes to sleep for long enough, like 5 or 6 hours, the handles will work again one time and then not work. It worked at 3PM when I moved it from my regular parking space to the charging spaces at work. It worked one time, and then it's back to the status quo.

spacklewoof

Apr 7, 2019
Mesa, AZ, USA
Scheduled a service appt. Really thought they would fix it with an OTA upgrade. Instead, they sent a tech out. The tech said his orders were to inspect my car and turn on auto-present. Imagine his surprise when I told him I did not have the tech package. He took notes and tried to open a case, only to discover that engineering already knows about it but does not have a fix ready for it yet. They were going to set diag mode or something on my car so they can collect data about the issue.
Blah.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC