Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.32.12.7 browser working again

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting.... I just tried my browser the other day (on prior version) and it completely crashed the MCU and auto-rebooted. I had sworn off ever using it again for fear of killing the MCU dead via eMMC failure.

I have this update pending but will wait until I'm home for the night/weekend in case there's a problem. I don't want to be stranded at work on a Friday!!

I long for the days when software updates came without anxiety.

This morning after downloading the new update last night got in the car and opened sketchpad and then browser and it instantly opened up tesla waze for me I was shocked.

This is a 13 non ap mcu1 car

hope it keeps working now

The browser always works after an update because of the hard reset it goes through. It will be back to the white screen of death in a few hours.

Reactions: am_dmd
In the past, mine worked for maybe one drive after restarting, so I wouldn't hold my breath. It actually didn't seemed time based, seems like if I just sat in my garage messing with menus eventually the browser would die.
basically same experience here - have been on 2019.32.12.7 for a week now, with same behaviour. Usually within a day or few it just stops working, ever since v9 - still doing same.

Ok, my 2014 MS85 browser completely stopped functioning last week. I've exchanged several emails with support doing multiple resets and power off cycles with no result. They suggested I make an appointment for service. Yesterday I took it to the SC and an hour later they told me everything checked out with my car and was operating correctly and that Tesla has decided to drop the browser function on older cars.
I asked about the LTE upgrade, and they indicated that was no longer a good option and that my MCU was to old to install the module. Instead they offered to replace the MCU1 with a newer version that included the communication function for $2800 plus labor and tax, but couldn't guarantee the browser function would return.
Also, I no longer get the Release Notes, just a blank screen. Perhaps the two are related...IDK?

• Informative
Reactions: kavyboy
Same here, 2014 AP1 version, browser worked slow but good for several years and Then started to halt, freeze.
I used it often to check mail (yes, webmail worked just fijne in 2016, look up opening hours and have family photo's on big screen.
Now it goes wacko after a day.
The most anoying thing is that,as a user, there is no way to reset the damn thing once it freezes.
Even a hard reset of the system keeps the browser in a dead lock.
Since Elon is a fan of retro, i could love you have a good old fashion reset button on the browser screen... Or an escape button, (Apple style?!?)
And honestly, fun gimmicks like fart sounds are not welcome when the same release contains broken features

Ok, my 2014 MS85 browser completely stopped functioning last week. I've exchanged several emails with support doing multiple resets and power off cycles with no result. They suggested I make an appointment for service. Yesterday I took it to the SC and an hour later they told me everything checked out with my car and was operating correctly and that Tesla has decided to drop the browser function on older cars.
I asked about the LTE upgrade, and they indicated that was no longer a good option and that my MCU was to old to install the module. Instead they offered to replace the MCU1 with a newer version that included the communication function for $2800 plus labor and tax, but couldn't guarantee the browser function would return.
Also, I no longer get the Release Notes, just a blank screen. Perhaps the two are related...IDK?

Do you have anything on dropping browser support in writing?

Our MCU1 died and was replace a few weeks back.
Car is on .7 version
Browser remains functional and usable, but of course, still very slow.
With the original MCU1, it would systematically stop working a day or two after a reboot, even if not used and left on a basic web page (ie not on tesla waze).

As others with .7 reports unuseable dead browser, one could conclude MCU1 (and probably 2 as well) keeps old files and that this affects the browser performance somehow.
And on fresh install, it works somehow.

Wondering if the dev team is only working on clean MCU1, on which they obviously cannot reproduce our experience ?

Elon said there would be an upgrade to MCU 2.. I don't know that I should hold my breath.
and let's be clear I'm not looking for anything for free I'd be very happy to pay for that and a new instrument cluster and whatever wiring needed to make this happen.

Actually, that's rather interesting! The $2,800 quote you're talking about sounds like what I heard rumored as the cost for the MCU2 unit. But the people I knew who actually tried to get MCU1 upgraded to MCU2 at their service center (typically because they were frustrated about the older one not supporting the newer features like the Beach Buggy game and ability to watch streaming Netflix) were told it's not offered at this time.

I'm 99% sure the browser would, indeed, work much better with MCU2 -- because one of the recent software updates said the original browser was ripped out and replaced with a newer one for MCU2 vehicles (I believe one based on Chromium browser software). But I guess that code was too CPU heavy to work on MCU1.