Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.32 - Improved performance...across ALL trims!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
anyone with pre raven- fob ver1 are out of luck...lol figures.
V2 fobs have been out since June 2018

How to tell V1 and V2 key fobs?
If you got yours before June 2018 then it is v1. If you try to do the fob update, it will tell you the version.

My V1 key said it updated when I did it , but definitely will ask Tesla maintenance About V2 next time I’m due to go in
When I tried updating my v1f it said it was already up-to-date.

Those Tesla 0-60 numbers aren’t correct. Tesla quotes the Motor Trend numbers which include a “1 foot roll out”. It makes absolutely no sense to use a 1 foot roll out for a 0-60 time. Motor Trend has foisted this falsehood upon the world and Tesla mindlessly parrots the numbers knowing full well the car cannot live up to this performance claim.

You would think 1 foot wouldn’t matter that much but it does. It is the slowest foot of travel. At the end of the first foot, the car is traveling at 5-8 or so miles per hour. The Tesla/Motor Trend numbers start the measurement at the end of the first foot, so they are actually measuring ~7-60 times, not 0-60 times.

Motor Trend started this using the 1 foot roll out to measure 1/4 mile times. The idea was to be more consistent with the times given the differences in the driver reaction times to the green light at the track. It probably makes sense to use the 1 foot roll out there, one foot in a quarter mile is an error of 1 foot in 1320 feet so well under 1/10 of 1 percent. It is different for the 0-60 times. With 0-60 times, the error is huge, and the quicker the car the more huge the error.

Does Motor Trend understand the difference? Of course they do. Even if the they were not bright enough to see it initially, it’s been criticized a lot since. Now they say they must report it with a roll out because they do that with all the cars so it gives a basis for comparison, a feeling echoed by Tesla.

In order to see the difference, imagine a performance S. It will be at 60 within a few car lengths. That one foot error isn’t spread out over 1/4 mile, it is very much less, and since that first foot is by far the slowest foot of travel, it is a disproportionately large error.

No one should see the 0-60 times that Tesla/Motor Trend claims. The cars cannot do 0-60 in the times that Tesla/MT claims because those claims aren’t 0-60 times at all. I understand why MT likes to claim cars are faster, I’m sure their advertisers love to see their cars with unrealistically fast times, but Tesla? They should be better than that so it’s disappointing. Musk’s engineers can put a craft into orbit, they can land a booster on a barge at sea. You don’t do that with near half second errors in 2.5 second calculations.

Anyway, no one should expect a Tesla to perform in the times Tesla quotes. Those times are bogus, and the quicker the car, the more bogus the number. Europeans don’t tolerate this sort of marketing, their 0-100 km/h times are accurate. I believe KBB reports accurate 0-60 times, they are very critical of Motor Trend’s deceptive measurements.

The cars are great. It’s a disservice to saddle such wonderful cars with dishonest performance claims.

Dragy makes a device thought to be very accurate. Dragy maintains a performance database of cars. I have not seen the numbers but that might be a place to turn for real Tesla 0-60 performance numbers.

I've found they are very conservative (or at least used to be). I have a Sept. 2017 Model S 100D, and I've been able to get 3.5, 3.6 0-60 times vs. their stated 0-60 of 4.1. I figured with the Raven update, people would get down to 3.2 or 3.3 0-60.

Reactions: camthehombre
I've found they are very conservative (or at least used to be). I have a Sept. 2017 Model S 100D, and I've been able to get 3.5, 3.6 0-60 times vs. their stated 0-60 of 4.1. I figured with the Raven update, people would get down to 3.2 or 3.3 0-60.

Yep, from what I’ve seen, every time they release a car with a stated 0-60, there’s a rush of people taking it to the track and handily beating that time.

(My guess is that they do this intentionally, figuring it’ll cause a lot more buzz. Articles on the original 0-60 times and then more articles every time the latest record gets beaten)

I’d love to see the car able to perform as advertised. I have an uncorked S75D, I’ve seen 0-60 numbers down to 3.9 seconds posted as opposed to claimed 4.2 seconds (with the roll out) but I don’t know how those faster times were measured. The car is quick. Acceleration is more than adequate, bordering on thrilling. I’m old so I’m fairly easily thrilled. Still there are those that will test their cars and expect them to perform exactly as they were promised. That seems reasonable to me.

So on to your post. Would you tell me exactly how you arrived at the 3.5-3.6 numbers. Please understand I’m not personally critical but I will try to be critical of the technique, if there are flaws I’ll try to find them. There’s a nugget of truth somewhere. Either the reported faster times are somehow flawed, Tesla is underreporting performance, Tesla is claiming the 1 foot roll out in error, or there’s a huge amount of sample variability in the normal production performance, with the early samples provided to Motor Trend underperforming the rest.

I’m not quite as charitable toward Tesla as I used to be. I’m still pro Tesla, but I’m more pro Tesla “with verification”. That makes me pro truth. Don’t get me wrong, my Tesla is by far the best car I’ve ever had, or ever hope to have. I’m right there with that guy that wants to be buried in his. But lies, there shouldn’t be lies. Since Tesla doesn’t provide truth, we should find truth for ourselves.

So in that search for truth, exactly how did you measure your 3.5-3.6 second 0-60 numbers?

BTW I think it would be interesting to get one of those Dragy units, assemble a batch of us with various Teslas, and mail the device around so we can each make real measurements. I don’t think I want one permanently but I am curious about the performance of my Tesla.

I’ll need tires much stickier than the OEM 19”
Goodyears. They slip every time, not just as the start but a couple more times between 30-60.

I’d love to see the car able to perform as advertised. I have an uncorked S75D, I’ve seen 0-60 numbers down to 3.9 seconds posted as opposed to claimed 4.2 seconds (with the roll out) but I don’t know how those faster times were measured. The car is quick. Acceleration is more than adequate, bordering on thrilling. I’m old so I’m fairly easily thrilled. Still there are those that will test their cars and expect them to perform exactly as they were promised. That seems reasonable to me.

So on to your post. Would you tell me exactly how you arrived at the 3.5-3.6 numbers. Please understand I’m not personally critical but I will try to be critical of the technique, if there are flaws I’ll try to find them. There’s a nugget of truth somewhere. Either the reported faster times are somehow flawed, Tesla is underreporting performance, Tesla is claiming the 1 foot roll out in error, or there’s a huge amount of sample variability in the normal production performance, with the early samples provided to Motor Trend underperforming the rest.

I’m not quite as charitable toward Tesla as I used to be. I’m still pro Tesla, but I’m more pro Tesla “with verification”. That makes me pro truth. Don’t get me wrong, my Tesla is by far the best car I’ve ever had, or ever hope to have. I’m right there with that guy that wants to be buried in his. But lies, there shouldn’t be lies. Since Tesla doesn’t provide truth, we should find truth for ourselves.

So in that search for truth, exactly how did you measure your 3.5-3.6 second 0-60 numbers?

BTW I think it would be interesting to get one of those Dragy units, assemble a batch of us with various Teslas, and mail the device around so we can each make real measurements. I don’t think I want one permanently but I am curious about the performance of my Tesla.

I used PowerTools to get the numbers, which normally I'd be a little suspect of, but they aligned with what others were getting with PowerTools along with VBox setups. This was all back in late 2017 when the new DU00 and DU01 drive units came out along with the uncorking. So I just wanted to verify my 100D was getting what others had gotten (with the new drive unit). BTW, this was with 21 inch OEM Continentals. Also, this was with a warmed up battery and warm tires, but on a bunch of different public roads (so not like a one-off run or special road surface). I'd see 3.9 if the battery and tires were cold (ie like pulling out of the garage and trying it ASAP). Hope this helps!

Do you have the times without the 1 foot rollout?

Also have you seen times for the uncorked S75D without the rollout?
Anyone who is remotely serious about their cars performance has to get Dragy. All the info you could want about everyone's performance is on the leaderboards.

Except alas, the slower cars might not make it up on the all history leaderboards and maybe not on the monthly leaderboards.

But still just get it -- amazon will deliver the device in two days,but meanwhile you can see the leaderboards with all the info in the time it takes you to download the app.

Earlier P100D’s were faster before Tesla slowed them down with software updates due to negatively affecting the battery. Now even the Raven is slower 0-60mph. But will run a faster 1/4 mile as the battery will not push as much amps through launch mode. The 0-60 mph times are more about the amps than the battery, i.e; 2016.5 P90DL’s with Version 3 batteries having as fast if not faster 0-60mph times than P100DL’s.

Anyone who is remotely serious about their cars performance has to get Dragy. All the info you could want about everyone's performance is on the leaderboards.

Except alas, the slower cars might not make it up on the all history leaderboards and maybe not on the monthly leaderboards.

But still just get it -- amazon will deliver the device in two days,but meanwhile you can see the leaderboards with all the info in the time it takes you to download the app.
Dragy’s are about 2 tenths off. Meaning 2.8 sec on dragy is like 2.6 sec with a vbox. Been tried and tested by a number of members/owners. Fastest 0-60mph on dragy is 2.6 seconds
E5496081-E8EE-42A3-A915-AC5FF1E99DA5.jpeg

Dragy’s are about 2 tenths off. Meaning 2.8 sec on dragy is like 2.6 sec with a vbox. Been tried and tested by a number of members/owners. Fastest 0-60mph on dragy is 2.6 seconds
View attachment 455054
Google dragy and vbox and even search this forum especially my own posts and there are people who have taken both to the dragstrip and compared and dragy is more accurate than vbox. Definitely no 2 tenths off for dragy.

Dragy is better than vbox, and because of variability in staging depth, even more consistent than timeslips unless you stage consistently.

E.g. Track vs vbox vs Dragy results
"
  • Dragy was closer to track measurements than the vbox
  • Dragy read .01 seconds slower than the track on ET
  • Dragy read .56 mph slower than the track
vboxdragytable-S.png

Google dragy and vbox and even search this forum especially my own posts and there are people who have taken both to the dragstrip and compared and dragy is more accurate than vbox. Definitely no 2 tenths off for dragy.

Dragy is better than vbox, and because of variability in staging depth, even more consistent than timeslips unless you stage consistently.

E.g. Track vs vbox vs Dragy results
"
  • Dragy was closer to track measurements than the vbox
  • Dragy read .01 seconds slower than the track on ET
  • Dragy read .56 mph slower than the track
vboxdragytable-S.png
I’ve seen the exact opposite results lol. I would expect a dragy to not be as accurate... one being much less in price, 2 it definitely is not accurate consistently as you need to make sure you have nothing above you for it to work best in my experiences. Like a tree or anything that could block a satellite. Also it makes a lot more sense based on the times recorded in the history. P100DLs have definitely bed capable of 2.4-2.5 0-60mph and there are a lot that can’t even break 2.8 on it. Let me see if I can find basically almost the identical cart you have lol. But it shows dragys about 2 tenths a second off.
Also comparing at a track isn’t ideal if your having to time the light.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
This does not make sense to me- can you explain?
It’s basically holding back let’s 1800 amps from releasing all at once at the start. And instead continuing to build speed rather than taper off like the older ones would.
This is even more true with the P90DL with Version 3 Battery 1088792-00-A. I think since the amps are pushing its top acceleration/G’s it actually gets faster times than basically any P100DL from 0-30mph. But will taper even more towards the end.
Now the P90DL will get smoked eventually by the P100DL in the 1/4 mile. But in the 0-60mph it is just about the same. Once again that’s referring to that V3 Battery cause those are the only 90 batteries that pull either 1700 or 1800 amps.
Now I know someone on here that has jail broken Tesla’s and upped the amps to around 1900 I believe he said in a 2015 P90DL and he said he only did 2 runs at the track and did around 2.6 sec. He also lost 4-6 miles of range afterwards but that just shows you the impact the amps have, more so than the battery. Obviously those batteries can’t handle that amount and the 100 can but most likely they restricted the amps on the Raven to gradually build.
Also anytime I ever did times I was always faster not using launch mode. Idk why but I feel like it capped out even earlier whenever I used it.

I’ve seen the exact opposite results lol. I would expect a dragy to not be as accurate... one being much less in price, 2 it definitely is not accurate consistently as you need to make sure you have nothing above you for it to work best in my experiences. Like a tree or anything that could block a satellite. Also it makes a lot more sense based on the times recorded in the history. P100DLs have definitely bed capable of 2.4-2.5 0-60mph and there are a lot that can’t even break 2.8 on it. Let me see if I can find basically almost the identical cart you have lol. But it shows dragys about 2 tenths a second off.
Also comparing at a track isn’t ideal if your having to time the light.

Virtually every sentence about Dragy and tracks and their lights and times is wrong. You have no idea about the technology and no experience with the product, or, as is now obvious, with tracks and lights and timeslips. Dont pollute the forums with your ignorance. Instead read and google and learn.

Virtually every sentence about Dragy and tracks and their lights and times is wrong. You have no idea about the technology and no experience with the product, or, as is now obvious, with tracks and lights and timeslips. Dont pollute the forums with your ignorance. Instead read and google and learn.
Haha I’m on dragy with about 7 times in the top 30 so I think I know plenty about dragy buddy. Lol