Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.32 Navigate is unusable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2019.32.2.1 Navigate on Autopilot is too scary to use. Accelerating and braking for no reason. Will partially change lanes then swerve back. I thought Navigate was getting better in the last few updates, and .28 was really smooth, but I can’t use it anymore. It may not crash, but I’m afraid I’m going to cause someone else to have one. Anyone else having the same issue? Model 3 Dual Motor, June 2019.

Reactions: tvad
AP does nothing for NO reason, you may just not understand why it is doing things and it might not align with how you want to drive. This is the price we pay for being on the early adopter curve, some releases are better others worse. As a side note, I realized a couple months ago that we (humans) will have to retrain how we interact with our cars if we want self driving to be a success. Like you say, it may not crash but not what you were expecting...I find it changes lanes when I wouldn't have, but then so does my wife...which makes it impossible for Tesla to make it do what YOU want all the time. This doesn't include jerkiness etc which will get ironed out in time, and is more what you are talking about.

In my experience, swerving lanes and coming back is typically because it thinks you aren't holding on, so make sure you are applying a bit of torque. I've only had it cancel lane changes when someone behind me did something unexpected enough it was worth a second look. If it truly is a digression, wait for the next update since 32.2.11 definitely doesn't do that. I've seen in the past that when they add new edge cases, things get less smooth for 1 or two updates until they have worked their sauce a bit.

FYI, your headline is alarmist and reeks of attention seeking. You very easily could have named it 'Unexpected accel/braking in NoA'. Chill out.

Same model and even month and year. Had same issue today on a road I travel daily with no issues since 2019.28. Today I had a random aborted lane change as well as phantom braking after the 32.2.1 update.

Not sure if it’s a widespread issue, but thought it was interesting you posted the exact car/yr/month/model and same issue I had just today.

Probably just something they gotta fix in the next release. I wouldn't worry much. Just stay ready to take over on short notice.

2019.32.2.1 Navigate on Autopilot is too scary to use. Accelerating and braking for no reason. Will partially change lanes then swerve back. I thought Navigate was getting better in the last few updates, and .28 was really smooth, but I can’t use it anymore. It may not crash, but I’m afraid I’m going to cause someone else to have one. Anyone else having the same issue? Model 3 Dual Motor, June 2019.

It’s likely you have HW3. (?). The software is still likely designed for HW2+ and HW3 in emulation mode. Your experience is likely to be dramatically better when the software is designed for HW3, version 10 perhaps certainly by version 10.5

It’s a roller coaster ride, goes up, comes down. Make sure you pay attention and your hands close to the wheel.‍♂️

• Informative
Reactions: JES2
I am confused. Your title seem to indicate that your upset over navigate but your complaints are about autopilot. Which is it? There is the ability to use navigate without autopilot. If you don’t want to use a BETA RELEASE of software, don’t use it. You have that option. You can even use AP without navigate on AP and have navigate open. Tesla gives you many options

• Informative
Thanks. Maybe I just ran into 3 different situations that were just not good for Navigate (NOA). It just seemed surprising after the last version was so good. My hands are always on the wheel, and I love playing with it to see how the car will respond to different situations, but this is the first time I'm actually nervous to turn it on. I drove on a 500 mile trip (each way) using NOA, so I'm not inexperienced with it, and I know it's not perfect. You can call it BETA, but it still has to work reasonably well, which Tesla knows...any accident on autopilot gets 100 stories written about it. What was weirdest was the accel/decel was literally pulsing..accel-decel-accel-decl...about 1/2 sec each. I love the kool-aid drinkers who are willing to put other lives at risk to protect the precious Tesla name. I love Tesla, I love my car, I'm willing to overlook most things, but not this.

• Informative
Same here. Too stressful. We never use it. Regret spending $6k to upgrade.

Same here. Too stressful. We never use it. Regret spending $6k to upgrade.

It kind of reminds me of speech recognition technology. Speech recognition tech has been around a long time and slowly gets better and better as we teach machines to behave like humans and is pretty usable now for a lot of applications but if it misinterprets one word it can change the whole meaning and context. I am sure we have lots of text message examples of this. :)

Now we are teaching the car how to drive on its own. We give it artificial eyes (cameras), sensors, etc. and we have a bunch of software developers sitting in a room watching video footage and training the car how to react to various information and situations. Works great until it misinterprets or is missing the required information, just like with speech recognition technology. Is that a stop light? What if the by chance the bulb is out? What if visibility is poor? Does the car slow down in the rain and snow to provide more time to stop? Does it know what a pothole looks like? The reality is that these are machines and they can't "feel" or "anticipate" all situations. Aren't we humans great? ;)

This is why I think Tesla should not market the features as Autopilot or Full Self Driving. These are aspirations, visionary goals sure, but they should bridge the gap first by introducing them as enhanced safety features and drivers aids. I think they would actually sell more EVs this way vs. scaring off half the market that is afraid of Teslas.

Here is a good article to read on the different levels of driving autonomy and where we are at right now.
https://www.howtogeek.com/405158/when-can-i-buy-a-self-driving-car/

We are barely at level 2 right now. We are like alpha/beta in level 2. :D

auto.png

Reactions: JES2 and robdavmil