TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

2019.36.1 and Single pedal braking.

Discussion in 'Model S' started by quickstrike12, Nov 2, 2019.

1. quickstrike12

quickstrike12 Member

This is the feature I was most interested in. But alas I’m afraid I won’t be seeing it. Guessing it’s only for cars with a PMA motor. ie: model 3s and some of the newer S/X
    dang. I hate being left behind because of hardware. love my car but looking forward to some day being able to get newer model. I don’t want to jump on the train too soon tho for a new S.
    I feel like some battery advancements are on the horizon in next year or two.
    I’ll try to be patient. Until then I’m living vicariously through all of you folks. so let’s hear it. Who has the 36.1 and how do you like it? Smart summon any better?

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  2. viper2ko

viper2ko Active Member

I heard no traffic cones either. Its only for HW3. Let's see how long it takes them to upgrade

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. NOLA_Mike

NOLA_Mike Grouchy

I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually release an update to include "single pedal driving" on all models. If the motors aren't capable of generating braking force below a certain speed then they can implement the brakes for the last 5 or 10 MPH. At least on everything since switching to electric brake assist (I believe that switch happened with the introduction of original Autopilot vehicles?).

I have no inside info but that's my speculation.

Mike

• Like x 2
  4. Kuhz

Kuhz Active Member

:( was really looking forward to this. Don’t care about the other stuff.

• Like x 5
  5. Tesomega

Tesomega Member

I am going to wait for 10 years for my next refresh, till then holding on to my S (All new features are good to have, I have not see any that would actually increase my driving pleasure (no, not just speed).

• Like x 3
  6. FatherTo1

FatherTo1 Member

I thought the regent already allows single pedal driving. What has changed about it?

7. viper2ko

viper2ko Active Member

It will regen all the way to 0 and brake hold. No need for the brake

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  8. quickstrike12

quickstrike12 Member

Yeah. We have sort of a seudo single pedal drive. Because of the newer PMA motors they can now achieve true single pedal to a complete stop. It’s not life changing I guess, but for me personally I would really like it. I use the brake hold always at every stop, and this would just make it that much simpler.

• Like x 1
  9. tranzndance

tranzndance Member

I remember one time I was talking about the greatness of brake hold and someone with an older Tesla said they didn't have that. It's a sad reality of buying a computer on wheels.

10. Bballou

Bballou Member

Isn't this specifically because of the lack of computer control? If the brakes were controllable by computers, older models would have been updated with brake hold. It's making a car a "computer on wheels" that minimizes the obsolescence of the vehicles.

11. jeffpaul

jeffpaul Member

Hmm, this post 2019.36.1: Stopping Mode says it's for *PRE*-raven and model 3 only. I suppose we'll get confirmation one way or the other in the next few days.

12. nativespinner

nativespinner Member

Below 5 mph the motor controller could apply reverse torque to stop the car and then apply the hold. On my 2013 S I can change gears without stopping under 5 mph and it will slow and change direction when accelerator pedal is depressed. This shouldn't be hard to implement.

• Like x 3
  13. rory breaker

rory breaker Member

It feels strange. Takes some getting used to. Will totally use it. Much much stronger regen braking than standard, takes you to 0, holds.

• Like x 1
  14. tyson

tyson Member

Hill hold is available on all vehicles with autopilot, including AP1. The difference is in the brake booster. All AP vehicles use a BOSCH unit with the ability to be controlled via the CAN bus.

• Informative x 2
  15. TMThree

TMThree Member

No reason why they can't, cause they already do it with autopilot!

• Like x 6
    • Helpful x 1
  16. TMThree

TMThree Member

How do you know regen is occurring stronger? Is it applying brakes at the same time? Does the green bar have a longer length than before?

17. mswlogo

mswlogo Well-Known Member

See thread again. The one person that said pre Raven corrected himself in a later post.

• Informative x 1
  18. rory breaker

rory breaker Member

I don’t know, didn’t look, so I should rephrase as it FEELS like much stronger regen....meaning, the car comes to a stop faster, both in terms of deceleration upon lift and actually stopping. This is raven btw, got the increase in power/acceleration as well which is noticeable.

• Informative x 2
  19. TIppy

TIppy Active Member

I agree that the regen is fairly agressive below 5 mph. You wouldn't need the maximum regen power to be increased. A given power produces a greater deceleration as the speed is reduced.

It only applies the brakes when the car has almost come to a stop.

I don't have creep on, so in the past at low speed, I would give the car a little bump with the accelerator and then use the brake. Now, I have to just feather the accelerator to come to a stop. You do have to feather, or you quickly come to a stop if you take your foot off the accelerator.

20. quickstrike12

quickstrike12 Member

Ok please don’t flame me for asking this but I’ve never used TRUE one pedal driving to a full stop. So does this increase the risk a bit of unintended acceleration? If you flinch or panic or spasm(LOL) with your foot on the brake coming to a stop in traffic, a drive through or parking lot, or maybe parking close to a garage wall all you do is stop suddenly. but if your feathering the accelerator and mess up its full Torque giddie up go.

Trust me I still want it regardless. Just provoking a thought. I would worry a bit about wife parking mine in the garage at the 3 inch from wall we need.