Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.36.1 and Single pedal braking.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok please don’t flame me for asking this but I’ve never used TRUE one pedal driving to a full stop. So does this increase the risk a bit of unintended acceleration? If you flinch or panic or spasm(LOL) with your foot on the brake coming to a stop in traffic, a drive through or parking lot, or maybe parking close to a garage wall all you do is stop suddenly. but if your feathering the accelerator and mess up its full Torque giddie up go.

Trust me I still want it regardless. Just provoking a thought. I would worry a bit about wife parking mine in the garage at the 3 inch from wall we need.

Unintended acceleration is often attributed to having creep off, though that is also refuted. I don't think there is a definitive conclusion. But I see you have a 2017, so it won't be an issue. It's only available on raven cars which have the permanent magnet front motor.

The car definitely comes to a stop quicker than when creep mode is off, so it should be less perilous than that mode. The car will be slowing down as you move your foot from accelerator to brake.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I’m bummed I won’t get the single pedal update. Was really wanting that feature.
I was mostly just curious if that is ever an issue for some people with that feature. I personally have to ride the brake very gently and roll slowly up to a board I have on garage floor that is perfect for allowing my bumper to be a few inches from work bench.
I got to thinking if that might be a bit trickier with this feature. I guess like anything I would adjust to it.

Thanks for the reply. I’m bummed I won’t get the single pedal update. Was really wanting that feature.
I was mostly just curious if that is ever an issue for some people with that feature. I personally have to ride the brake very gently and roll slowly up to a board I have on garage floor that is perfect for allowing my bumper to be a few inches from work bench.
I got to thinking if that might be a bit trickier with this feature. I guess like anything I would adjust to it.

Do you use creep mode now?

This is the feature I was most interested in. But alas I’m afraid I won’t be seeing it. Guessing it’s only for cars with a PMA motor. ie: model 3s and some of the newer S/X
dang. I hate being left behind because of hardware. love my car but looking forward to some day being able to get newer model. I don’t want to jump on the train too soon tho for a new S.
I feel like some battery advancements are on the horizon in next year or two.
I’ll try to be patient. Until then I’m living vicariously through all of you folks. so let’s hear it. Who has the 36.1 and how do you like it? Smart summon any better?
You are? Then why did you buy a Tesla in 2017 when this feature wasn't there??

With the induction motors, slowing the car at slow speeds requires removing energy from the battery. With the permanent magnet motors, they can regen down to lower speeds thus increasing range rather than reducing it. That's their stated reasoning anyway,

With the induction motors, slowing the car at slow speeds requires removing energy from the battery. With the permanent magnet motors, they can regen down to lower speeds thus increasing range rather than reducing it. That's their stated reasoning anyway,

For the purposes of one peddle driving, all they have to do is actuate the brake once its under 5 mph. Why would they expend battery power to slow with the motor?

That's not fair. There wasn't single peddle driving when I bought my car in March, but it's also a feature I am looking forward to.
It is completely fair. You didn't even know if that feature will be introduced when you bought your car.
LOL. I mean of the new features introduced recently it’s what I was focusing on.
Again... :) I'm not berating anybody for feeling "left behind" but that's the nature of the beast. There will always be something new that may or may not apply to your car/hardware in the car. Can't keep beating yourself up. It's a great car, enjoy it.

p.s. When I was shopping for a car recently and got the Tesla, do you know what my mindset was? I want:

- an AWD car, because of where we live and where we travel to
- Good power. I don't need a race car but something that has enough power to merge/overtake etc etc nicely.
- Drives well. Not necessarily sports car well, but not like a Cadillac (i.e. mushy, like a boat) either.
- "Looks" good. I'm a big fan of good looking cars.
- Spacious. I have two kids, somehow the car always has lots of stuff in it... (Our other car is a Honda Odyssey)

That essentially was my criteria. After looking at the new/used car market, there was nothing below ~$50K that would have satisfied that criteria. The 90D I bought was ~$50K and it's electric...cool as hell, and better than any other ICE car that I could have bought for that price.

Anything, and I mean anything beyond this is icing on the cake. Dashcams, sentry mode, single pedal driving, pole dancers in the car...:) it's all icing.

I've noticed after using it for another day, that TACC does NOT make silky smooth stops like Stop mode does! What the heck Tesla! I only did a few, but it feel like the TACC/AP stops still have the "bump" at the end when the car transitions from moving to stopped. It's like they are using friction brakes instead of Stop mode. Weird, and I hope they fix it. Also, when the traffic starts moving they need to make that better too. Too jerky. The recent update with "TACC accelerates" faster applied "faster" to the wrong thing (should have reduced time it takes to notice the front car is well on their way; instead it kept that painfully long and now floors it like a speed demon to keep up). I feel like Tesla should hire some seasoned, professional drivers to give review feedback on Autopilot timing and accelerations in order to make it nicer for us all.

For the purposes of one peddle driving, all they have to do is actuate the brake once its under 5 mph. Why would they expend battery power to slow with the motor?

This was in response to running the motors in reverse and trying to use regen at slow speeds to bring the car to a stop. Clearly they can use the brakes as they do it in autopilot. But there are complaints about this method causing bumps as the car comes to a stop. I think for everyday driving, Tesla is avoiding blended braking. For autopilot since not all cars have permanent magnet motors, they have to use blended braking.

Last edited:
Ok please don’t flame me for asking this but I’ve never used TRUE one pedal driving to a full stop. So does this increase the risk a bit of unintended acceleration? If you flinch or panic or spasm(LOL) with your foot on the brake coming to a stop in traffic, a drive through or parking lot, or maybe parking close to a garage wall all you do is stop suddenly. but if your feathering the accelerator and mess up its full Torque giddie up go.

Trust me I still want it regardless. Just provoking a thought. I would worry a bit about wife parking mine in the garage at the 3 inch from wall we need.
Agree, I like holding the brake myself.