Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.36.1 Scheduled Departure not working with time limited outlet.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 14-50 outlet is time limited and only has power from 11pm to 7am. This gets me a nice 4.4 cent electricity rate. Normally I have to set the scheduled charging to begin at 11:30pm. Otherwise the car does not wake up to see the power is active.

I tried out the scheduled departure feature in 36.1 and set it to finish charging at 6:45am every day. Since setting that, the car has not charged the last 2 days.

I suspect that since the car does not see any power when the charging cable is first connected it cannot compute the needed start time for scheduled departure and just does not do it.

I've put charging back to scheduled start mode for tonight.

My 14-50 outlet is time limited and only has power from 11pm to 7am. This gets me a nice 4.4 cent electricity rate. Normally I have to set the scheduled charging to begin at 11:30pm. Otherwise the car does not wake up to see the power is active.

I tried out the scheduled departure feature in 36.1 and set it to finish charging at 6:45am every day. Since setting that, the car has not charged the last 2 days.

I suspect that since the car does not see any power when the charging cable is first connected it cannot compute the needed start time for scheduled departure and just does not do it.

I think I read it somewhere that this is a bug on the Model 3 - the car goes to sleep and when it sleeps it doesn't trigger this alarm. Someone should escalate this to Musk...

I am not sure if this bug was fixed, but according to the thread I read, they were trying to setup their solar panel to charge the car only when there was overhead. The solar panel systems can do that, but since the car is sleeping, when the grid sends the power, it doesn't charge.
It is basically the same principle you have - the car is off the grid and as if not connected.

I think the same thing is happening with you - you plug it in before 11pm, the car goes to sleep and when 11pm comes, the car is sleeping and can't get charge.

I have 3 solutions for you

A) Wake the car at 11:01 via the app
B) Plug it in only after 11pm
C) If you have smart summon, there is a feature that keeps the car awake and is draining the battery - it is somewhere under autopilot settings in this thread page 2. You should disable it right after you start the car, otherwise you will have massive battery drain
Tesla Model 3 Vampire Drain (aka loosing mileage when stationary)

Or you can disable this feature and play with the ampers limit so that the car charges slower and use the scheduled charging.

• Helpful
Reactions: go2realize
That's unfortunate. The initial problem you noted, of the car not beginning a charge when power is applied at 11pm, sounds like the same problem identified by users of JuiceNet-enabled EVSEs and others that can do scheduled charging. This thread covers this subject, and I've seen references to it in other threads, too. You may want to contact Tesla to register a request that this problem be fixed. (Tesla used to have an e-mail for lengthier bug reports, but the last time I used that address, I got an automated reply stating that it was no longer being monitored, so we seem to be stuck with Web forms that have annoying limits on the length of messages, or Tweeting at Elon Musk and hoping he notices it and thinks it's worth pursuing.) As more Teslas are sold and as more electric companies implement scheduled charging programs that rely on the EVSE controlling the start time, this issue will become increasingly important.

I did do an in car "bug report". I figured that would send the car logs with it.

For now I'll keep using the start at 11:30pm method. It's worked for the last year. It would be nice for the winter to have the scheduled departure working in a future update.

I did do an in car "bug report". I figured that would send the car logs with it.

For now I'll keep using the start at 11:30pm method. It's worked for the last year. It would be nice for the winter to have the scheduled departure working in a future update.

Or you can just set an alarm on the phone to open the app and wake the car up at 11:01 as I suggested earlier, if smart charging is important to you.

Or you can just set an alarm on the phone to open the app and wake the car up at 11:01 as I suggested earlier, if smart charging is important to you.

Not as important as sleep. :)

Scheduled start at 11:30pm will work ok until the point Tesla changes the behavior (if ever). Something like Teslafi would work too, but am not allowed to use 3rd party tools when in the Early Access Program.

Not as important as sleep. :)

Scheduled start at 11:30pm will work ok until the point Tesla changes the behavior (if ever). Something like Teslafi would work too, but am not allowed to use 3rd party tools when in the Early Access Program.
There is the Tasker Android App that can do that for you. Set the schedule, set what app to open, boom.

My first try at scheduled departure charging failed as well, but it did charge. My battery was at about 70% and I set scheduled departure for 11:15 AM the next morning (weekdays). Car actually started to charge at 1:30 AM and was done charging at 6:00 this morning (5+hours ahead of scheduled departure). I'll keep trying, but that first attempt did not work as advertised. 2019.36.2.1. 2017 S100D. AP2.5

Oops. Just noticed I posted in the M3 forum. Oh Well.

My first try at scheduled departure charging failed as well, but it did charge. My battery was at about 70% and I set scheduled departure for 11:15 AM the next morning (weekdays). Car actually started to charge at 1:30 AM and was done charging at 6:00 this morning (5+hours ahead of scheduled departure). I'll keep trying, but that first attempt did not work as advertised. 2019.36.2.1. 2017 S100D. AP2.5

I haven't tried it yet but it almost sounds like from reading the release notes that it will always stop charging at 6 AM based upon some people's peak electrical rates kicking in at that time which really doesn't make sense since most people are leaving later then that time

Oops. Just noticed I posted in the M3 forum. Oh Well.

The release notes say that, currently, its programed to end at 6am, so your report is showing that it is working exactly as it is currently advertised. See first post in this thread, which has the release notes, which show pretty clearly that 6am is the stop time, regardless.

MASTER THREAD: 2019.36.1 update released with 5% power update

I have the same exact issue. My charger is time limited 11pm-7am and I tried scheduled departure last night. I woke up around 2am, checked the app and it said charging stopped, but it started when the app woke up the car. My main concern was how the car could calculate when to start if it did not know the charge current. Back to scheduled start mode, going to try to push back start time to end charging around when I leave based on my own calculation of daily use. That's a bummer.