Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.36.1 Software update not completing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My model S screen says software updating to 2019.36.1 but it has been stuck there for more than 24 hours. I have tried a reboot using brake and steering wheel buttons. My iPhone app says it’s updating and is at 10% but again has been stuck there for 24 hours. Can’t reboot from touch screen because touch screen is black with software updating message. Any suggestions?

My model S screen says software updating to 2019.36.1 but it has been stuck there for more than 24 hours. I have tried a reboot using brake and steering wheel buttons. My iPhone app says it’s updating and is at 10% but again has been stuck there for 24 hours. Can’t reboot from touch screen because touch screen is black with software updating message. Any suggestions?
Try hard boot. Brake pedal and both scroll buttons.

This happened to me. Service Center originally thought it was an MCU failure, but later realized that the cause was a corrupted file on my flash drive for music, plugged into the USB port. Do you by any chance have a connected USB flash drive (memory stick)? If so, try removing it.
In another thread on this topic, someone suggested that it is good practice to remove any connected memory sticks before installing an update.
If you don't have a USB memory stick, then my experience was not helpful, sorry!

• Informative
Reactions: KerryOH
This happened to me. Service Center originally thought it was an MCU failure, but later realized that the cause was a corrupted file on my flash drive for music, plugged into the USB port. Do you by any chance have a connected USB flash drive (memory stick)? If so, try removing it.
In another thread on this topic, someone suggested that it is good practice to remove any connected memory sticks before installing an update.
If you don't have a USB memory stick, then my experience was not helpful, sorry!
I don’t have any connected memory sticks but thank you for the input.

Reactions: David29
No 2019.36.1 yet! Any ideas when going to mass rollout?
My screen says that 2019.36.1 is what it’s trying to install.

Attachments

• 74EF679A-9C2E-4E86-BFCB-C56B5EAECC02.jpeg
    74EF679A-9C2E-4E86-BFCB-C56B5EAECC02.jpeg
    284.7 KB · Views: 112
  • BFF7A168-204D-4B79-82A5-CA37E120903E.jpeg
    BFF7A168-204D-4B79-82A5-CA37E120903E.jpeg
    138.4 KB · Views: 87
I'm a long way behind you on the Version (I'm only at 2019.32.12.2) but I recently had a complete freeze out. MCU was blank, tried all resets, disconnected all USB etc but still no good. The car was taken to my local SC and they diagnosed (eventually) that the update had failed and forced it through. I'm reading more and more about update fails which is very concerning as this is IMHO one of Teslas biggest advantages. This is the first time I've had a problem with software update in 4 years of 2 x MS ownership.

I haven't gotten a software notification but my networking history data for the car showed days where it downloaded 6, 9 and 6 gigabytes of data. Anyone else seen that? Is the update big in size like that?
Those sizes normally indicate Navigation map data. The updates for software are normally under 1gb depending on how far behind you are.