Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.36.2.1 - charging issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So since this update has been applied over the weekend, I've had 2 instances where the car completely shutdown and wouldn't reboot while on a charger at home.

The first time on Sunday morning I had a "Please wait - screens busy" message come up. I tried to get the car to boot up but nothing worked initially. It eventually did revive but I don't remember the exact way I had it work.

So, same situation tonight. I had the car plugged in, expected to start charging at 7pm when the cheaper rates are applied. I noticed I couldn't access the car via the app. I went out and sure enough it wasn't even charging. IP screen briefly showed "Please wait - screens busy" message, then it all went dark, pressing the brake pedal didn't start a boot up at all. Tried the scroll wheels as well - no luck. Unplugged the car (no errors showing at the car's charging outlet), pressed the brake and the car started booting up. All error messages cleared so I plugged the car back in and it's now charging without a problem.

I don't think this is a 12V battery problem, and it only started with 2019.36.2.1

I'll contact service in the morning and advise them of this.

Anyone else having this problem?

My model X received the update last night 11/12/2019 and this morning it will not turn on. doors open with the fob but screens will not come on. Car will not shift to drive. using app it looks like you can turn the HVAC on but it doesnt come on. Charge door opens but it will not allow you to plug it in. doors do not want to shut they keep alarming and will not shut. Wife and kids are stuck at home and cant get to work or school. two scroll reset and two scroll and two top button reset will not work either. Any advice? notified tesla service an hour ago and still nothing other than the initial automated text.

My model X received the update last night 11/12/2019 and this morning it will not turn on. doors open with the fob but screens will not come on. Car will not shift to drive. using app it looks like you can turn the HVAC on but it doesnt come on. Charge door opens but it will not allow you to plug it in. doors do not want to shut they keep alarming and will not shut. Wife and kids are stuck at home and cant get to work or school. two scroll reset and two scroll and two top button reset will not work either. Any advice? notified tesla service an hour ago and still nothing other than the initial automated text.

Try this sequence:

- unplug the car
- press and hold both the brake pedal and the scroll wheels until you see the Tesla logo on the main screen. This is a hard reboot.

Try this sequence:

- unplug the car
- press and hold both the brake pedal and the scroll wheels until you see the Tesla logo on the main screen. This is a hard reboot.

Thank you. This was tried multiple times as long as one minute and nothing. We also tried both scroll wheels and both buttons above the scroll wheels. Unfortunately no luck. We tried it with and without the brake pedal. The charging cable is unplugged and although we can open the charging door we cannot plug in the charging cable. It will not accept it.

Thank you. This was tried multiple times as long as one minute and nothing. We also tried both scroll wheels and both buttons above the scroll wheels. Unfortunately no luck. We tried it with and without the brake pedal. The charging cable is unplugged and although we can open the charging door we cannot plug in the charging cable. It will not accept it.

Unfortunately, it sounds like Tesla service will have to get a look.

I know I'm getting a firmware update soon, so I'll report back afterward - hopefully, it stabilizes it. They said it'll take a couple of hours to do the update.

Unfortunately, it sounds like Tesla service will have to get a look.

I know I'm getting a firmware update soon, so I'll report back afterward - hopefully, it stabilizes it. They said it'll take a couple of hours to do the update.

Update: Now I cant even access the vehicle with the Key Fob or the App. After sitting on hold for a while the techs were able to finally push into my X and found a "Version mismatch" on my firmware. They can't fix it remotely and are coming later to pick it up and bring it to service. Will revert with the final diagnosis. Seems like the firmware update was a mismatch to my vehicle.

not sure this applies but I accidentally charged to 100% last night instead of charging at 90%.......I have V36.2.1 and only got 306 miles.......I had lost miles at 90% over the last to revisions from 284 to 274.......hopefully we can get more mileage in next update

The last couple of updates has me rethinking the "Advanced" software update. Surfer, I hope they can fix it quickly for you. Let us know what release level you end up with. I wonder if they will rollback the level.

Thanks Trev. Yeah, I may pull back from "Advanced" as well. After two hours with the Tow truck Driver and the lead Tesla tech from the Milford CT shop on Facetime we were unable to get my X to fully power up or go into tow mode. The tow driver had to lift the back tires and roll the front tires from my house to Tesla. Luckily my Service Manager Devonte is awesome and waited for us because it was almost 2 hours after close when we finally got there and he had my loaner waiting. It is frustrating but Tesla clearly cares about us. Still not sure what my problem is but will post back with updates.

When we got just the center screen to power up with a jump pack it did show us on 2019.36.2.1 but the Tech said he was seeing lots of errors and mismatch and was unable to push a new update the multiple times he tried.

Thanks Trev. Yeah, I may pull back from "Advanced" as well. After two hours with the Tow truck Driver and the lead Tesla tech from the Milford CT shop on Facetime we were unable to get my X to fully power up or go into tow mode. The tow driver had to lift the back tires and roll the front tires from my house to Tesla. Luckily my Service Manager Devonte is awesome and waited for us because it was almost 2 hours after close when we finally got there and he had my loaner waiting. It is frustrating but Tesla clearly cares about us. Still not sure what my problem is but will post back with updates.

When we got just the center screen to power up with a jump pack it did show us on 2019.36.2.1 but the Tech said he was seeing lots of errors and mismatch and was unable to push a new update the multiple times he tried.

Interesting. The tech pushed the same release again last night, all seemed to install okay from my end, but that's not necessarily what the Tech might be seeing with the diagnostics. I've not had time to see if anything has improved, but will be heading out shortly.

So just got a call from my service manager. It looks like my onboard charger is fried and they luckily have one in the shop and are working on replacing it. Crazy that it took a week for them to figure out. I hope that is all it is. Not sure if this software update did it or if it was just bad timing. Hopefully can get my car back Monday.

So just got a call from my service manager. It looks like my onboard charger is fried and they luckily have one in the shop and are working on replacing it. Crazy that it took a week for them to figure out. I hope that is all it is. Not sure if this software update did it or if it was just bad timing. Hopefully can get my car back Monday.

Well, I hope it'll get done soon. My re-apply of the update looked good, but had the same failure last night. I'll probably ask them to investigate further if it happens again. Thanks for your update - I'll keep it in mind if this situation recurs again.

Well, I hope it'll get done soon. My re-apply of the update looked good, but had the same failure last night. I'll probably ask them to investigate further if it happens again. Thanks for your update - I'll keep it in mind if this situation recurs again.

Just got our X back today. They replaced the onboard charger. Seems like there was some other funky stuff going on because when it came back online Friday it had lost 100 miles of charge. I am now on 2019.36.2.2 so maybe one of the bugs they fixed in 2019.36.2.1 was a bug that affected my X. I would definitely ask them to investigate it further. Good luck!

• Informative
Reactions: TrevTremaine