Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.36.2.1 lane split and convergence

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Again I have. taken my M3 DLD out to test on our Texas freeways (one lane each direction at 75mph). I tried both lane split and convergence at 65. The car held flawlessly. No twist of the wheel of dire warnings. A big storm hit just before I could try it at 70 so I will have to wait to check that. This is really a big deal. Lane split and convergence has really been a problem prior to this upgrade. When I first bought my car in April 2019 the wheel would jerk and the car would scream at me to take over at just 55 mph. I was concerned about whether they would ever make it really work. This, speed signs and stop signs or lights are some of the last things to go. I have had several cars in the last 57 years that I thought were really great (I really enjoyed them) but this one takes the cake.

Are you claiming that AP no longer re-centers in the right lane when another lane mergers in?

The one "feature" that has driven me absolutely bonkers since buying the car a little over a year ago?
When the lane splits the vehicle moves to the right lane. There is a short distance where the vehicle has difficulty find both edges but in this test it moved to the right following the right side before attempting to center. There would be a problem if the lane stayed 2 lanes wide long enough. The car did put me in the right side lane.
As for the convergence, the car stayed near the right side while it searched for the left side. It slowly moved over left until it found the left side and then centered. The merger arrow did not confuse it this time as it had in the past.

• Informative
Reactions: S4WRXTTCS and IdaX