Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unable to download latest firmware, car can’t find wifi networks, new issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Never had a problem downloading updates. This last update (36.2.4) was no exception. Last night I received the notice of a new update (40.2.1) and was excited to get it downloaded. But, this was not happening. I kept getting the same (common) error message " could not obtain and IP...check DHCP server settings. I rebooted the car and it then connected but the download would not take place as the update stated I was not hooked up to wifi. I checked the DHCP server list and added more address spot and tried a static IP with the mac address but to no avail. After 3 hours I gave up.

This morning I hooked up to my work's wifi and got the same error message. I hooked up to my iPhone's hot spot (which has worked in the past) and got the same error message.

I didn't change anything in the house network so I'm at a loss. The only thing which changed was the last (minor) update.

Anybody else see this? Any tips you can provide would be appreciated!!!

Hmmm, I'm doubting the title that it "killed" the wifi connection. Not really sure what that means. Can't imagine how the T would kill a connection if it can't even get an IP and connect to the router in the first place. I assume you shutdown and restarted the router? and the car ? and tried reconnecting with the SSID and password? Thus agreeing with boaterva.

I'm having this issue with my guest network. Last night I was connected fine, but when I got home tonight it would not connect. It gave me the ip address error and to check DHCP.

I am able to connect to the non-guest network but wanted to keep only the car on the guest.

I did a reset but did not help.

You already tried rebooting, of course, how about a power off to get a deeper restart to see if it clears anything? No problem here on either release so something is definitely stuck for your car.
How can I do a deeper reboot?

I pressed to 2 wheel buttons to reboot and I pressed the brake with the 2 wheel buttons. I've even held the buttons till the logo shows on the screen. I tried the "power off" (waited 10 min before turning it on) but same error message. Should I try a "Factory Reset"?

Maybe my title was harsh but something is "stuck" and is preventing the car from hooking up.

Last edited:
Yes, I told the car to "Forget This Connection" on everything listed and re-entered the info. I have rebooted the router as well.

As I stated, the car would connect to my iPhone's hotspot but not now. IMHO, I believe the last update (36.4.2) interferes with the cars ability to connect.

UPDATE: I moved the car as close as I could to the router. The car sees the wifi(s) with full signal strength and appears to connect. BUT (there's always a but) the update states I must connect to wifi to download. I've done a hard reboot but does not know it is connected (as indicated on the screen with the green check mark). I've switched between 2.4 and 5 with the car connecting to either one but cannot download the latest update. Is this a false positive (car states it's connected but actually not)?

How can I get past this?

The fact that you're having problems on three WiFi networks (home, work, and your cell phone), and that the problem doesn't go away with a reboot, tells me that there's something deeply messed up with your car. Maybe it's "bit rot" in the software or its settings or maybe it's a hardware problem with the WiFi circuitry. Either way, it's likely to require a visit to a Tesla service center or at least a mobile technician visit.

There is one more thing you can try, though: If you disconnect the 12v battery, wait a bit (a few seconds should be enough), and then reconnect it, that will cause the most complete "hard" reboot that's possible. At least, that's what I've heard. I've never tried it myself. There are several sites and YouTube videos with information on how to locate and replace the battery; but as I've not done this, I can't recommend any specific site or video as better than any other. Try Googling it yourself to find the links.

Reactions: DeanP
One more thing you could try: change the SSID (name) of one of those WiFi networks then try to connect. I cannot think of any technical reason this should fix something related to DHCP but that somehow resolved the same issue for me in the past.

Reactions: DeanP
The fact that you're having problems on three WiFi networks (home, work, and your cell phone), and that the problem doesn't go away with a reboot, tells me that there's something deeply messed up with your car. Maybe it's "bit rot" in the software or its settings or maybe it's a hardware problem with the WiFi circuitry. Either way, it's likely to require a visit to a Tesla service center or at least a mobile technician visit.

There is one more thing you can try, though: If you disconnect the 12v battery, wait a bit (a few seconds should be enough), and then reconnect it, that will cause the most complete "hard" reboot that's possible. At least, that's what I've heard. I've never tried it myself. There are several sites and YouTube videos with information on how to locate and replace the battery; but as I've not done this, I can't recommend any specific site or video as better than any other. Try Googling it yourself to find the links.
One more thing you could try: change the SSID (name) of one of those WiFi networks then try to connect. I cannot think of any technical reason this should fix something related to DHCP but that somehow resolved the same issue for me in the past.
I'll try anything once...Thanks guys! I tried both of these and still have the same error message.

I'll contact Tesla thru the mobile app.

Thanks!