Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.36.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another thing that sucks about the scheduled departure is that it only works in connection with charging, and only in the morning. I charge at work during the day. What I want is the car to warm itself up for me in the morning (despite not being plugged in), including warming up the battery to the extent possible (if it has enough juice in it, which in my case it always does). And it would be nice to use the feature during the day to have it get itself warm and charged when I'm ready to leave work and head home.

This feature as it stands supports exactly one use case -- people who live in California, charge at home overnight, and leave for work at exactly 6AM M-F. Those of us living in places where it actually gets cold enough for this to matter, or those of us having slightly different schedules, will not find this feature useful as it stands. Hopefully they will improve it.

Another thing that sucks about the scheduled departure is that it only works in connection with charging, and only in the morning. I charge at work during the day. What I want is the car to warm itself up for me in the morning (despite not being plugged in), including warming up the battery to the extent possible (if it has enough juice in it, which in my case it always does). And it would be nice to use the feature during the day to have it get itself warm and charged when I'm ready to leave work and head home.

This feature as it stands supports exactly one use case -- people who live in California, charge at home overnight, and leave for work at exactly 6AM M-F. Those of us living in places where it actually gets cold enough for this to matter, or those of us having slightly different schedules, will not find this feature useful as it stands. Hopefully they will improve it.

Isn't there a smart precondition feature for that?

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc and rnortman
absolutely right you are, I played with it a bit and it’s a POS. Whoever comes up with how these features should work I swear don’t drive these cars. Sad.

I work in the computer field, and I suspect (but cannot say for certain) that something else is going on: The developers planned a scheduled-charging feature, got partway through implementing it, and then were forced to release it before development was finished because of pressure from their managers, the marketing department, Elon, or whatever. In this case, they may have all the code written to handle scheduled timing internally, but the user interface wasn't ready when it was forced to be released. (The UI is often the most difficult thing to write, especially for something like the timed-charging feature, which involves extremely simple calculations.) It's also possible that different developers wrote the UI and the "guts" of the scheduling code, so the UI developer(s) may simply have been busy with other projects. If I'm right about this, then the feature ought to be upgraded to something more capable fairly soon, unless it was pushed out the door early because the developers were needed to implement some other feature(s) that are much more involved.

Wasn't the "smart" preconditioning feature removed with the release of the scheduled departure feature? (And the "smart" preconditioning feature was very dumb and never worked correctly.)
I think it is still available. I haven't used the Scheduled departure for other reasons, tho.

MVIMG_20191120_184624.jpg

I think it is still available. I haven't used the Scheduled departure for other reasons, tho.

View attachment 481989
As a side note for scheduled departure time. I have tried it for a total of 4 times and not once has it worked. I was told by the Tesla #800 to schedule a service center appointment SMH SMH SMH because there is no software issue and it must be something wrong with my car. I believe that .00001%

2019 Model S Raven P + L+

Reactions: serendipitous
As a side note for scheduled departure time. I have tried it for a total of 4 times and not once has it worked. I was told by the Tesla #800 to schedule a service center appointment SMH SMH SMH because there is no software issue and it must be something wrong with my car. I believe that .00001%

2019 Model S Raven P + L+

Schedule the service appointment. See what happens. Then call the 800# back and tell them what the service guys said, be prepared for them to tell you to book a service appointment. Or maybe they'll offer to "open a case" for you!

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
absolutely right you are, I played with it a bit and it’s a POS. Whoever comes up with how these features should work I swear don’t drive these cars. Sad.
Would you rather wait another 6 months to get the feature in what Tesla considers its pristine state, which probably wouldn’t be to your liking, or would you rather have something to build off of and provide feedback how you feel it could be better. Instead of complaining how about providing valuable feedback to Tesla to make it better suit your needs?

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Would you rather wait another 6 months to get the feature in what Tesla considers its pristine state, which probably wouldn’t be to your liking, or would you rather have something to build off of and provide feedback how you feel it could be better. Instead of complaining how about providing valuable feedback to Tesla to make it better suit your needs?

4 years and 4 Teslas later I can unequivocally say that Tesla does nothing with feedback from us plebs.

4 years and 4 Teslas later I can unequivocally say that Tesla does nothing with feedback from us plebs.
I beg to differ. While they may not be responding verbally, or technically, it doesn’t mean you aren’t providing feedback. They know exactly how each feature is being used just based on the data. Your use of it is the feedback, some more direct than others.
Personally I would like to see something come out it in a safe version, obviously this is subjective and open to each’s own appetite for risks, and then tweak it from there. There is no better testing than with your actual users. This is why Gmail was in beta for so long, yes I know Gmail isn’t life or death for most people. And quite honestly the feature that are life and death with Tesla are pretty good prior to release, Autopilot isn’t perfect but it’s damn good in it’s intended situations.
Bottom line: if you don’t like using that feature then don’t use that feature, pretty simple. But don’t piss on the developers that work hard to give you what you want.

• Funny
Reactions: boonedocks
So I finally got updated from 2019.36.2.3 to 2019.36.2.4 this morning. According to TeslaFi there were less than 1% of Model 3s left on .2.3, so I was one of the last few to make the jump.

I've had my software update setting on Advanced ever since it was available. P3D+ with FSD at purchase. On strong Wifi in my garage every night.

If anything that proves the Advanced option does zippo... lol.