Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Daniellane

The Tesla Guy
Supporting Member
oops 2019.40.1.1
Now downloading on my 2018 MS100D
MCU2!

B2F83258-AE35-4DC8-8F19-BAF1B2692CD4.jpeg

Last edited:
Curious timing for a new version. Companies avoid new versions just before major holidays .... because of scant support.
My 2018 MS100D (MCU2) is scheduled for the 3.0 FSD computer upgrade next week. Perhaps, it was initiated by a SC technician. Lately they have been updating prior to appointments. The holiday might explain why it was done so far in advance of my appointment.

My impressions: Lane changes are definitely more assertive now, but there's still a pause of a couple seconds and about 4-5 blinks before it starts the maneuver. Once it starts it's much quicker and more decisive than before, and merges into much tighter quarters. I haven't had an aborted lane change in my drive this morning (and there's moderate traffic and one instance that I'm sure would have aborted before due to a car merging in from the other side a few car lengths behind).

And although the release notes imply it's just the NoA initiated changes that are affected, the manual ones are amazing now. As soon as you tap the stalk it blinks and moves immediately. Not sure if thead Max setting affects that too, or just how jumpy NoA is at deciding to pass someone as the wording suggests. I did turn it up a notch to Mad Max just this morning to test.

Curious timing for a new version. Companies avoid new versions just before major holidays .... because of scant support.

Tesla's usual approach is to issue the first release of a major update (like from 2019.36.x to 2019.40.x) to a few cars, wait for problem reports, issue an update, and repeat that cycle as many times as is required to get something that's stable. Then they do a mass update to 90% or more of cars. The usual time between the first major update appearing on a few cars and that mass update is at least a week, usually closer to two weeks, and maybe sometimes a little over that. (I don't have hard data, though; that's just my impression.) Waiting until after Thanksgiving would put that mass update dangerously close to Christmas, especially if the debugging releases stretch out to 2 or even 3 weeks. Thus, the timing isn't all that peculiar, IMHO.

My impressions: Lane changes are definitely more assertive now, but there's still a pause of a couple seconds and about 4-5 blinks before it starts the maneuver. Once it starts it's much quicker and more decisive than before, and merges into much tighter quarters. I haven't had an aborted lane change in my drive this morning (and there's moderate traffic and one instance that I'm sure would have aborted before due to a car merging in from the other side a few car lengths behind).

And although the release notes imply it's just the NoA initiated changes that are affected, the manual ones are amazing now. As soon as you tap the stalk it blinks and moves immediately. Not sure if thead Max setting affects that too, or just how jumpy NoA is at deciding to pass someone as the wording suggests. I did turn it up a notch to Mad Max just this morning to test.

Which AP hardware have you got?

Hopefully this also helps the wipers stop operating at full speed, continuously at startup without intervention!

I understand this is based on what the camera is seeing, but it’s always embarrassing to have someone in the car for the first time, and they see the wipers feverishly wiping, when the windshield is clear.