Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2019.40.1.1seems to have slowed to a trickle and according to TeslaFi less than 5% received it...
It contains no new features for my HW3 MS other than some improvement in auto lane change, and of course the wipers thing. The 175 kW charging upgrade for the M3 seems to be the only new feature overall. So why the 40.x.x version number over the 36.x.x. for such a small jump? Am missing something? Is Tesla splitting the software upgrade track based on Model and features? Why are what appear to be new raven models seeing the 36.x.x upgrades instead of 40.x.x?

Speculation?

Well, we know that 2019.40 has the new code "CityStreetsBehavior" that is not yet enabled. So 2019.40 could have big "under the hood" changes that are not activated yet.

Well, we know that 2019.40 has the new code "CityStreetsBehavior" that is not yet enabled. So 2019.40 could have big "under the hood" changes that are not activated yet.

Ha Ha, that is what I was hoping, love the way you phrase things @diplomat33 ! Stop sign and stop light recognition is what I really want - no more counting on having a car in front of me to know my car will stop. Maybe some summon improvements buried in there too?

2019.40.1.1seems to have slowed to a trickle and according to TeslaFi less than 5% received it... So why the 40.x.x version number over the 36.x.x. for such a small jump?
This is no different from most of other software updates from Tesla where they start rolling out a new version to see if there are regressions or new bugs to a small percentage before increasing to a larger percentage then eventually wide rollout. And just like other software updates, the version number is increasing based on year and week, so the amount of features is not really related.

And overall this isn't too different from other rollout processes: hardware updates where Tesla is testing FSD computer replacements in small numbers to make sure things are right to make sure things are smooth for the wide rollout (e.g., avoiding unnecessary replacements for those who don't need it).

So besides the "scheduled departure time" being fubarred in this update, NOA is also a complete mess. First of all auto lane change is as others have said. Super quick and as most people (human) drivers would do, so there's that.

For NOA on 40.1.1 My first commute today to try it out and on my first 17 miles of expressway on I985 Southbound in NE Atlanta at EVERY single exit ramp, just as I pass them, my car would immediately decrease the speed from 75mph to anywhere for 60 down two 45. - This is NOT phantom braking but actually resetting the speed and displaying that new set speed on the binnacle. - NO ONE IN FRONT OR BESIDE ME and well over 1/2 mile before the nest entrance ramp. As you can imagine especially with a Raven model S with extra regen, the cars behind me did not take kindly to this. After the third occurrence and right cue when I would guess it was going to happen again I turned OFF NOA, just as it has been since the 2ned week if was introduced. I am in the process of writing up an email to Tesla but after several other emails to them including video links and Tesla CSR just emailing back saying "reboot needed" / "NOA not intended for HOV lane usage" "schedule an appointment your car needs service" etc etc etc...I already know it will fall on deaf ears.

Zoom in the map and check the GPS position. It might be off as mine is every 2nd day. So it will pick up the lower speed limits in the ramp. Really annoying.

Reactions: boonedocks
My car does the same thing before going through toll booths on the 241 freeway (not free since we luckily get to pay someone indefinitely now for the opportunity to to drive on a California “freeway”) but it’s exactly the same as you mention. Tacc set to 80 and it will fit no apparent reason drop me to 70 or 75 then readjust to 80 a half mile away.

Well that is interesting seeing that it has never happened before and only happens when using NOA with latest 40.1.1 release.

Standard TACC worked flawlessly.
I do not have the new update and it’s been happening to me for quite some time. I do not think it’s new but perhaps it’s more frequent now or maybe it slows down quicker so it’s more Noticeable to you

Actually for me passing every off ramp on the freeway TACC is catching the off ramp suggested speed sign and changing set speed. This is while towing a trailer which is even more annoying.

It's not related to the suggested speed sign. It's getting the ramp speed from its map -- specifically it is the "Fleet Speed" information from the map, which is the average speed that ramp is taken at by Tesla drivers. This is itself a stupid idea that none of us ever agreed to, but not as stupid as thinking you can do this with GPS. The car thinks you took the exit, because GPS isn't accurate enough to be used for this... doesn't stop Tesla from trying though.

I'm slightly bitter about this, if you can't tell.

Reactions: emmz0r
specifically it is the "Fleet Speed" information from the map, which is the average speed that ramp is taken at by Tesla drivers. This is itself a stupid idea that none of us ever agreed to, but not as stupid as thinking you can do this with GPS.

LOL. I just try and imagine all the engineers in a huddle thinking what a brilliant solution this is to not rear ending cars on the offramp. Not a single good opinion among them? 75mph at 12pm with no traffic, 1/2 mph at 4:30pm. Same f****** thing.

Though, this is often my view about half-baked and purely broken code they release... Not even considering the stuff they should have made tests for but without fail are broken when you need them. Like winter features - they break around fall, and don't get fixed until next summer. Every winter spent with the thing just not working right. Hello 2019.40.1.1, it's like nothing changes.

LOL. I just try and imagine all the engineers in a huddle thinking what a brilliant solution this is to not rear ending cars on the offramp. Not a single good opinion among them? 75mph at 12pm with no traffic, 1/2 mph at 4:30pm. Same f****** thing.

Though, this is often my view about half-baked and purely broken code they release... Not even considering the stuff they should have made tests for but without fail are broken when you need them. Like winter features - they break around fall, and don't get fixed until next summer. Every winter spent with the thing just not working right. Hello 2019.40.1.1, it's like nothing changes.
I've had the problem for at least a year and I don't think it is related to "fleet speed". The speed close to one exit is always set down automatically to 50 MPH and close to another exit, it is always set to 35 MPH. Normally my TACC or AP is set to 60 MPH and after I pass the exit, the speed automatically goes back up to 60 MPH. The reduction in speed at the 50 MPH exit isn't that bad but at the 35 MPH location, it's quite abrupt. I know to have my foot over the accelerator when passing exits. I really only have this problem on one road...but it's a highway which has been under construction for years. I know I had this problem as far back as June 2018 with 2018.21.9. Back then, it would happen on every exit if I was in the right lane.

Drove about 8 hours in the rain yesterday. This auto-wiper update is absolutely horrible. It doesn’t appear to recognize water that is kicked up on you by cars around you, I constantly was having to press the wipe button or just turn them fully on.

I also was constantly getting alerts about my fender cameras being blocked by the rain, as well as occasional alerts about the radar being blocked. Autopilot was functional maybe about 15% of the drive.

Really recommend avoiding this update if you have to do any real driving.

Drove about 8 hours in the rain yesterday. This auto-wiper update is absolutely horrible. It doesn’t appear to recognize water that is kicked up on you by cars around you, I constantly was having to press the wipe button or just turn them fully on.

I also was constantly getting alerts about my fender cameras being blocked by the rain, as well as occasional alerts about the radar being blocked. Autopilot was functional maybe about 15% of the drive.

Really recommend avoiding this update if you have to do any real driving.

What Autopilot hardware do you have?

I've had the problem for at least a year and I don't think it is related to "fleet speed". The speed close to one exit is always set down automatically to 50 MPH and close to another exit, it is always set to 35 MPH. Normally my TACC or AP is set to 60 MPH and after I pass the exit, the speed automatically goes back up to 60 MPH. The reduction in speed at the 50 MPH exit isn't that bad but at the 35 MPH location, it's quite abrupt. I know to have my foot over the accelerator when passing exits. I really only have this problem on one road...but it's a highway which has been under construction for years. I know I had this problem as far back as June 2018 with 2018.21.9. Back then, it would happen on every exit if I was in the right lane.

Yeah I get that problem in tunnels or on overpasses. Going from 70mph cruise to 35 mph limits. It's fantastic. Just sloppy coding, it has no idea that it can't instantaneously transport from a highway to a back road. If GPS says you're on this road, it must be true NOW.

Reactions: rnortman and emmz0r

Why do you think this is not Fleet Speed? It was introduced around a year ago and this is exactly the way it behaves -- it changes your set speed. Various other things can cause the vehicle to brake without changing the set speed (phantom braking) but only Fleet Speed or a speed limit change changes your set speed.

Why do you think this is not Fleet Speed? It was introduced around a year ago and this is exactly the way it behaves -- it changes your set speed. Various other things can cause the vehicle to brake without changing the set speed (phantom braking) but only Fleet Speed or a speed limit change changes your set speed.
Maybe it is "fleet speed" functionality but I was trying to say that it doesn't ever vary. Since day one, it has always gone down to 35 MPH at one part of the highway and 50 MPH at another part of the highway. So it could be "fleet speed" functionality but it doesn't match the actual speed that people would be driving at that section of the highway. Also, why would "fleet speed" only happen close to highway off-ramps?

but only Fleet Speed or a speed limit change changes your set speed.
Exactly, it's like it is thinking there is a speed limit change due to the exit ramp or the overpass but I'm not on the exit ramp. I've actually been on an elevated section of the highway where the speed limit is 55 MPH and had it pop up showing the speed limit is 25 MPH which is for the road beneath the elevated highway.